Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just recently bought an Insight from a friend of mine and he told me about this site! I'm very very new to this type of car (the one I just got rid of was a gas guzzler) so any advice would be great! Thanks Everyone ~AnnaLynn~

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Welcome. :)

Suggestions?

Spend some time using the forum search features to review a ton of posts of fellow Insighters experiences, knowledge and mistakes.

If you've got questions, we've got answers. Wait a minute. Isn't that one already taken? <g>

HTH! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello AnnaLynn and welcome to the community. It looks like Rick (you will get to know him... he posts here a lot) and I have another fellow Phoenix area Insighter on this forum. What year/transmission (5-speed or CVT) did you buy? And what part of the valley are you in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Clayton... Thanks for the welcome. I've looked around on the site over the past few days and have noticed a lot of posts from "Rick" and I thought he was like the site creator or something. So far I am loving my Insight, but my friend Erik keeps yelling at me because of the way I am driving it. It's a 2003 5spd... it's blue... pretty... I'm not much of a car person, but am guessing that I quickly have to learn, otherwise I'm screwed. Any suggestions? As for the part of the valley I am in... I live near Thunderbird Mountain, up near 43rd and Pinnacle Peak. How about you and Rick?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hey welcome, great to have another Phoenix area person. I'm at 59th ave and Cactus so closer to you than Clayton. I've got a 02 Red 5 Speed, if you ever see custom AZ plate "144VOLT" thats me.

I'm not a site creator, maybe early participant. Ok just have too much time on my hands sometimes. Hope to see you posting a lot in the future and at some potential meets that may happen.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
AnnaLynn,
I agree with Yves
Just drive it like a normal car. Once you are comfortable with it, then you can try to get better gas usage.
I drove mine as I would any other car for the first few months. I took time to read through many of the articles and posts here. Then I used the knowledge to improve my mileage and take my mpg "to the next level".

Good luck, and "Welcome!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys... As for why Erik keeps yelling apparently you're not supposed to drive it like a normal stick shift... I'm not quite sure what he means, but I'll ask him... Took it out today, and got quite a few strange glances, but it's fun! It's got some umpfh behind it when it has to, but it rides better when you just drive it slow. What is this "lean burn" everyone keeps talking about???

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Annalynn98:

___Oh, Lean burn … Well, it is simply the capability of our little beauties to run at an ~ 23:1 fuel/air mixture vs. a std. 14.7:1 fuel/air mixture most other cars have to run at. It allows for an ~ 20 - 30% increase in fuel economy when it is running in the magic mode otherwise known as Lean-Burn :D

___This should help explain more of what is going on and if you haven’t seen it via the jump of instantaneous fuel economy readout yet, you will soon enough.

Lean – Burn Oxygen Sensor

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:eeltmar8][email protected][/email:eeltmar8]

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot (used to doing it without thinking),

There is 1 thing that is different.

In order for the regenerative brake to do it's best at recharging the battery and to prevent some wear to the brake pads:

When you brake, you need to say in gear until you are at a slow speed (engine at about 1000 rpm).

If you do not do it, you will loose some energy that the Insight can get back into the system. Needs some attention at first but it is easy to get used to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I DID MY FIRST LEAN BURN TODAY!!! I FINALLY KNOW WHAT THE HECK YA'LL ARE TALKING ABOUT!!! I FEEL SOOOOOOOO SMART NOW!!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Kind of a cool Insighter insider thing, but your regular car friends won't have a clue what you are all excited about!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Annalynn98:

___Ahhhh, Lean Burn, Must have more Lean Burn ;) Congrats and enjoy the ride!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:i344ww19][email protected][/email:i344ww19]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts