Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!!

Wasn't planning on buying a car. I rebuilt the engine in my Subaru Outback 3 months ago and it failed catastrophically.

So, after a week long search, bought a 2011 Insight EX non Nav. It has 39k on it currently, but I am the 5th owner. The oil/filter and engine air filter were replaced by the dealer before purchase.

I took it to the local Honda dealer for transmission flush, but everyone I called said there was no filter to change. Seems weird to me after reading the opposite here. Had it flushed though, assuming for first time.

I am also concerned about updates for the transmission. The local dealers wanted to charge just to hook it up and see. Doesnt seem right for something akin to a recall?

Pretty happy so far overall, there is a loud squeaking when the car's cold hitting speed bumps. I purchased a top line bumper to bumper warranty on it, just in case.

Also just purchased Lasfit LED lows and Nokya yellow drl/highs, awaiting them in the mail now. Stoked on them.

Been averaging a reading of 47mpg, which is more like 44-45mpg real world. Dont know how the F you guys are getting 55+.....

·
Registered
622 Posts
Good luck and welcome aboard
There's one inline filter below the radiator and another inside the pan ... the Honda engineer says change the fluid every 20k miles ... filters don't have any recommended replacement interval ... some owners reported moderate improvement in tranny behavior after changing the pan filter ... I just got the inline filter ... I'll change it when I get the chance ... I figured I'd do that one bc it's a cheap and easy thing to do
Put ur location in ur profile

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You can register it at:

Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners

And that will show if there are any recalls or other open campaigns. Depending on the build date, software updates could have been done at the factory. Are you having issues? They do have to do the software update for free if you received a letter and your vin falls within range. See software threads for details. Only one very early update related to the transmission.
Please do not use the term flush with respect to Honda transmissions, someone will think it’s a thing. It is decidedly not. For this CVT, just draining the fluid changes almost all of it. (For regular Honda automatic, such a drain would only remove about 1/3) with that low miles, I doubt it needs anything further. Just check the engine and cabin filters. You can use the oil life % for oil changes, there is no reason to change it early. In fact, if you don’t allow it to get to 15%, it will not set any codes for other services.

Only the most crazy hyper milers who have been driving hybrids for years and are willing to drive like mpg was the most important thing in the world are getting over 50 mpg. My wife drives our 2010 like a bat outa hell on LA freeways with the A/C blasting and barely gets 38. It has done 42 a few times. These are actual fill up the tank and divide by gallons uses numbers. You have to learn to be a hybrid driver to do better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys.

I went to the Honda dealer in Spokane. Its funny you mention the flush thing. Because the dealer tried to tell me it only drains 1/3 of the fluid, and mine was so dirty it might need 2 drain and fills. I only paid for and did one drain and fill.

The tech, at first, also told me my fluid should be bright pink. An hour later came back saying yellow is normal.

Anybody know a Honda service center in Spokane that employs people who know WTF they are talking about? I HATE dealing with dealerships, especially incompetent ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts