Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a used 2000 but it came without an owner's manual
so I wonder -

- How can I get the driver's window down?
The passenger window switch works but the driver's side switch just makes
a clicking sound

- What are these buttons to left of steering wheel?
I figured out the left-most one, "FDO"? toggles the display.

- How can I tell whether there's AC really installed?

Otherwise, it's cool seeing the MPG all the time ...
but I have to remember to watch the road.

Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd say off the top of my head that you have a problem with your driver's side power window switch it it just clicks when you press it. Or are you pressing the power door lock button? :oops:

As you've apparently already found out, the FCD button toggles between your regular speedometer/odometer and the lifetime miles per gallon (lmpg) displays. The other switch, marked "MAIN", is the lockout for the passenger side power window. That's what I recall anyway. Mine's been in the body shop for over a month now and my recall powers are starting to slip. :(

I thought all Insights had A/C installed, but I might be wrong about this. Press the "MODE" button and it will toggle between "A/C", "Econ", & "Econ A/C Off". That oughta tell you if you have A/C but it won't tell you how well it works. :wink:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - this helps a lot.
I believe I was hitting the "lock" switch in front of driver door handle&lock.

Under "main" (which has off --on labels for its rocker switch)
are 2 buttons/switches:

AUTO
[button] [a window-switch-like button]

I wonder:
- What does AUTO do?
- What is the window-switch-like button next to it?

It sure would be easier w/ an owner's manual.

·
Registered
35 Posts
"Auto" means "auto-down", as in you push the button firmly, let go, and the driver's side window does all the way down without your having to keep your finger on it - it's rather handy for tollbooths (but in my car it doesn't really work all that well).

The two rocker switches are for the driver's and passenger side windows respectively. By now I imagine you played around with them and figured it out. If you check http://www.hondacars.com I think there's a link for ordering an owner's manual for your Insight.

Enjoy it!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for postings.
The window buttons - I fugured out they're below the "MAIN" rocker switch.

But - what is this "MAIN" rocker switch for?

And, how do I interpret the VIN#?

2001 5-speed.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"Main" confused me for the longest time. I thought that it would cut off the electric system. That's pretty standard English: if you want to work on your house wiring, you turn off the power at the main breaker, no?

But what it actually does, is that in one position the passenger side window can be controlled by the switch on the door, in the other it works only from the dash switches - I suppose in case you have a passenger who insists on running the window up & down :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I should have added in my post to purchase an owners manual then. I'm not sure how anyone could confuse the door lock button to be the window switch. Especially when the doors made a locking sound after pressing it and it is marked with "Lock".

·
Registered
131 Posts
Resist said:
I'm not sure how anyone could confuse the door lock button to be the window switch. Especially when the doors made a locking sound after pressing it and it is marked with "Lock".
Actually, I did the same thing. The lock is in the same place as all other window toggles have been, and when you're driving home in your new car through metro traffic it's an easy mistake to make!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yes but the button also says lock, for the down position. Hard to confuse that as a window lock. Besides since there is no other door lock, the logical choice would be that is what it is.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Who said anything about reading the label while driving the car. Don't you guys look over your cars first before driving?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts