Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please Help! My wife and I bought a beautiful 2002 INSIGHT this weekend in Arizona and drove it back to California. Everything was fine including the gas mileage. In Arizona on the freeway the 4 to 5 foot molding above the passager's door flew off. We were able to go back and pick it up. Then in California again on the freeway the 4 to 5 foot molding above the driver's door popped lose but stayed on the vehicle. My wife and I were shocked to see this happen on both sides of the vehicle. Has there been a recall on these parts? Has anyone experienced or heard of this happening. If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be sincerely appreciated. We are in love with our INSIGHT!

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum :!: :D

No recalls I am aware of for any body parts. However there have been some threads in regard to wet seat belts and the source being under these strips. Sounds like someone took a peek. If the moldings are damaged such that the clips will no longer hold replacement is indicated.

An option would be to use some RTV silicone to "glue" the strips in place at the clip points.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
When I had my windshield replaced they ordered all new clips to hold the molding in. They said this was necessary because the clips break when you remove the molding. Might want to check with a Honda body shop to get it done right. The guys that did my Windshield didn't get it back on the same way but it is secure. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yep, windshield has been replaced and they didn't do it properly. There are two sets of clips that hold this piece on. The metal ones are reusable, but there is a row of plastic clips there that have to be broken to remove this trim. Unfortunately your looking at around $40-$50 to replace all 14 of the clips. It's not hard to do yourself, but it is a one time only deal to get it right or your buying the clip set all over again.

Also, on the front most piece of that trim piece there is a spot where it bolts in in the door sill. I really don't think it would fly off it it were properly held in by the bolt and the remaining metal clips.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My God, this forum is really cool. Just happened to my 01 on last Sunday 24 July 05 and exactly as decribed, freeway & windy and passenger site body door moulding came off without warning. The car is on repaired now :( . No time to pick it up as car behind me ran over it and it blew to pieces :(
It's 01 model, manual (60K Km) Australian Model. Now I don't feel safe anymore in the car, corncerned the car wil blow into pieces on freeway but I am still in love with my insight. Feel like broken heart!!! Hiks! :cry:

·
Registered
295 Posts
bernadetha said:
My God, this forum is really cool.....and.......
It's 01 model, manual (60K Km) Australian Model.
Cool,... even in Australia I didn't know they had it there.
And yes, it is a great forum: thanks to everybody who owns a Insight, worldwide.......:wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts