Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the nicest newest car I've ever owned. I'm very happy with my new (2000) Insight. I wonder if I should maybe be getting higher than 50-60 mpg on the highway? I see people boasting 70 + and I only got 66 mpg for a short time of freeway driving on the way home from my first oil change. I tried getting the service records from the dealership I bought it from, and they seem to have taken my money and run. I just want to make sure that I'm not hurting it by driving it when something is wrong. It has over 90,000 miles. Advice? Tips? Im exploring this website as much as possible, but don't know that I could ever read everything with my schedule.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I would not worry - it took at least a month to figure out the little nuiances to get great mpg. I was getting about the same mpg.

You are doing better than the writers for car reviews that measure EVERY car against a Porche :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
Delta Flyer said:
I would not worry - it took at least a month to figure out the little nuiances to get great mpg. I was getting about the same mpg.

You are doing better than the writers for car reviews that measure EVERY car against a Porche :D
I agree. It will take a while to figure out how to get the best mileage. I've had my car for almost 3 years and I'm STILL learning things :!: Just today I drove a friend 40 miles to pick-up the 2001 Insight he just bought. I got 68MPG coming home-he got 62. Experience got me 6 more MPG. You didn't say how fast you were driving, or what the temperature was. A lot of things can affect your mileage, but if you got 66MPG on your first drive in probably cold air temp, you done good :!:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Welcome to the site! Congradulations on joining this very diverse group of Insighters. :D

Unless Iowa is a lot warmer than I think, you won't be seeing exceptional mileage until it gets warmer! There are numerous ideas and techniques for getting better mileage. Tire pressure and radiator blocking are probably the most effective, however spend some time reading the posts here to understand what you can do and how to do it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yes, we have a diversity of driving styles. Some drive very easy with super mpgs, some drive agressively and still get great economy considering the driving they do. Some get 80+ mpg - some get 40 mpg, but drive at 85+ mph.

Also factor in challenges such as hills (Denver, San Francisco), stop-and-go traffic (Boston, DC), and cold weather (in your instance).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Delta Flyer said:
Yes, we have a diversity of driving styles. Some get 80+ mpg - some get 40 mpg, but drive at 85+ mph.

I can attest to that!! I traveled 1050 miles to Ft. Myers, FL last week. Going down by myself on I-24 through Tennessee and Georgia (I-75) on a bright sunny day, I averaged 66mpg with no passengers but about 200lbs of tools and luggage. I stayed at whatever the speed limit was in the state I was in.(65 to 70). Early evening I entered Florida still at about 70 miles per hour. Cars and semis started "blowing" me off the road. I sped up to 80 and was still getting passed by most of the vehicles on the road. South of Tampa around Silver Springs a Silver Insight passed me. After a while I started to try to catch up to see the license plate. No luck!!!! After speeding up a lot more, I got within 100 yards. I guess he saw me and kept speeding up. I lost him when I exited at Ft. Myers. Needless to say, my mileage suffered greatly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts