Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So i just bought a 2012 EX and its got 52,000mi on it and when i brought it home from the dealer i found a dirty air filter and cabin filter. So basically im bringing it to my standards:D and have some questions along the way. I cant find it but how often are we supposed to change the cvt filter? I checked it and it was like barley an amber color so i dont know what that means exactly. Also i bought Mobil 1 0w-20 extra efficiency(something like that), is this the best oil or is there something better? Also,my coolant is on the low side so what coolant does our car take?

Thanks Everyone!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You should only top off the coolant with genuine Honda long life coolant. I think it comes premixed.

You should be aware that Honda used some new piston rings starting in 2012 and many owners have reported excessive oil consumption. Keep a very close eye on the oil level. We have reports of Honda either replacing the rings under a quiet warranty extension or completely refusing to admit there is a problem at all. To obtain anything requires that you have (and pay for) an oil comsumtion test. Basically you have to pay for a dealer oil change. Considering the stakes, do so if you notice any burning oil.

If anything weird happens with electronics, warning lights, etc have the 12 volt battery under the hood load tested. Replace if at all weak.

Oh, about your other questions: there is no schedule on the CVT filter. That said, many do change it along the way. One guy even dropped the pan and replaced in internal one (his write up is a sticky in another thread) it is the best practice to replace the fluid far more often than the MID will call for. Like every 18-20k (every other oil change if going by the MID oil life indicator) I am a firm believer in computer oil life algorithms, but with the rings in your model year, all bets are off. Keep an eye on it and hold Honda's feet to the fire if necessary.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made the dealer replace the battery with a Honda 100 month one,free of charge so good there. Checked the oil when got home with it and it was at the top dot so..so far its okay,I didn't buy it from a Honda dealer so i dont know how i can make Honda do anything. I dont like dropping pans(have bad luck of stripping bolts),is there two filters? I want to do whatever i can to make sure that cvt goes at least 200k.

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should only top off the coolant with genuine Honda long life coolant. I think it comes premixed.

You should be aware that Honda used some new piston rings starting in 2012 and many owners have reported excessive oil consumption. Keep a very close eye on the oil level. We have reports of Honda either replacing the rings under a quiet warranty extension or completely refusing to admit there is a problem at all. To obtain anything requires that you have (and pay for) an oil comsumtion test. Basically you have to pay for a dealer oil change. Considering the stakes, do so if you notice any burning oil.

If anything weird happens with electronics, warning lights, etc have the 12 volt battery under the hood load tested. Replace if at all weak.

Oh, about your other questions: there is no schedule on the CVT filter. That said, many do change it along the way. One guy even dropped the pan and replaced in internal one (his write up is a sticky in another thread) it is the best practice to replace the fluid far more often than the MID will call for. Like every 18-20k (every other oil change if going by the MID oil life indicator) I am a firm believer in computer oil life algorithms, but with the rings in your model year, all bets are off. Keep an eye on it and hold Honda's feet to the fire if necessary.
I made the dealer replace the battery when i bought the car:D.

Im at 52k and the fluid looks okay,im going to change anyways,when should i change the filter? Is there two filters?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im very nervous changing filters and oil in transmissions,heres why: My car i traded in for this was having a transmission problem after i changed the filter and fluid...of course the car was at 175k and most likely never had it changed. Do you think its safe with my insight?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Im very nervous changing filters and oil in transmissions,heres why: My car i traded in for this was having a transmission problem after i changed the filter and fluid...of course the car was at 175k and most likely never had it changed. Do you think its safe with my insight?

Thanks
"Safe" has nothing to do with it. It's mandatory. There are many threads here on changing CVT fluid. Do some searches and reading. You don't have to change the filters every time, but I'm a firm believer in changing the CVT fluid (use ONLY Honda CVT fluid) every other oil change. If you KNOW that a car has a "weak point" you need to do whatever you can to help it. Same deal for the 12V battery on a G2.

Your car has low enough miles to keep nice. If it were mine I'd change the fluid and filters now so I'd have a baseline. Then I'd go with just fluid for a few changes.

Sam

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Safe" has nothing to do with it. It's mandatory. There are many threads here on changing CVT fluid. Do some searches and reading. You don't have to change the filters every time, but I'm a firm believer in changing the CVT fluid (use ONLY Honda CVT fluid) every other oil change. If you KNOW that a car has a "weak point" you need to do whatever you can to help it. Same deal for the 12V battery on a G2.

Your car has low enough miles to keep nice. If it were mine I'd change the fluid and filters now so I'd have a baseline. Then I'd go with just fluid for a few changes.

Sam
I got the Honda fluid already as i know that's crucial. You answered what i had in question there with if i should change it now or later.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You do not say what you traded in, but a Honda is a different animal when it comes to automatic transmissions. The CVT even more so. Every Honda mechanic has changed the fluid at least every other oil change forever. The engineer who designed the CVT suggests an 18k change interval. That works out to about every other oil change when usin the oil life meter. A Honda trans has a drain plug like an engine and a fill plug at the top as well. Do get a fresh crush washer and torque to 36lbs for the drain and 33 for the fill.

I also suggest you go down to the Modifications and Technical Discussions section and do a little reading. If you enter CVT fluid change into the search there there will be old threads with helpful information, tricks, and tips.

And keep an eye on the engine oil (unless you bought this from a Honda dealer who already changed the rings)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You do not say what you traded in, but a Honda is a different animal when it comes to automatic transmissions. The CVT even more so. Every Honda mechanic has changed the fluid at least every other oil change forever. The engineer who designed the CVT suggests an 18k change interval. That works out to about every other oil change when usin the oil life meter. A Honda trans has a drain plug like an engine and a fill plug at the top as well. Do get a fresh crush washer and torque to 36lbs for the drain and 33 for the fill.

I also suggest you go down to the Modifications and Technical Discussions section and do a little reading. If you enter CVT fluid change into the search there there will be old threads with helpful information, tricks, and tips.

And keep an eye on the engine oil (unless you bought this from a Honda dealer who already changed the rings)
Nope,bought it from Chrysler..even if there was a problem im sure Honda would tell me to screw off and that its not there problem. My old car was a audi a6:D so that was also part of the issue:D

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
It doesn't matter where you bought it. If it's under warranty Honda will cover it. If you DO have the 2012 oil consumption problem you should certainly try to get Honda to cover it.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
No idea. You can look it up. Different things are covered for different periods. But Honda has been doing "courtesy coverage" or something like that on the oil consumption problem. Sometimes they cover it all, sometimes part.

Just keep a close eye on your oil and go see them if it starts using it.

Sam

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Hi, I'll give a partial repost of what I posted on Ecomodder recently:

The oil consumption problem affects 2012s and early 2013s.

There is a lengthy thread here on InsightCentral which really sets off from post 75 onwards: Anybody burning oil? - Page 28 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum
and https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-2nd-gen-discussion/104722-tsb-16-101-dated-march-17-2017-a.html
What you need to refer to if you bring this up with Honda is Honda's Technical Service Bulletin TSB# 15-015, later superseded by TSB# 16-101
Google that and see.

For what it takes to fix it there is this reference:
Engine Oil Consumption Exceeds Customer Expectations – 2012-2013 Honda Insight | oemdtc.com
to replace the piston rings with new spec ones that do not have the issue.

Honda's stance used to be to postpone the piston ring swap until the oil consumption exceeds a quart per 1000 miles, which seems late to me; IMHO that causes more damage than needed.
Many Insights that waited that long ended up needing a complete engine swap.

It does seem octane related; stick to high octane (US)91+ just to be safe.
Then, I read one case of a 2013 US Insight that only got top tier brand gas and nevertheless had this problem.
It did not say what octane the gas had though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, I'll give a partial repost of what I posted on Ecomodder recently:

The oil consumption problem affects 2012s and early 2013s.

There is a lengthy thread here on InsightCentral which really sets off from post 75 onwards: Anybody burning oil? - Page 28 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

What you need to refer to if you bring this up with Honda is Honda's Technical Service Bulletin TSB# 15-015.
Google that and see.

For what it takes to fix it there is this reference:
Engine Oil Consumption Exceeds Customer Expectations – 2012-2013 Honda Insight | oemdtc.com
to replace the piston rings with new spec ones that do not have the issue.

Honda's stance used to be to postpone the piston ring swap until the oil consumption exceeds a quart per 1000 miles, which seems late to me; IMHO that causes more damage than needed.
Many Insights that waited that long ended up needing a complete engine swap.

It does seem octane related; stick to high octane (US)91+ just to be safe.
Then, I read one case of a 2013 US Insight that only got top tier brand gas and nevertheless had this problem.
It did not say what octane the gas had though.

Im scared now..what should i do.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Im scared now..what should i do.
First and foremost: check your oil level. Take a photo of the dip stick.
If the level is within boundaries drive 1000 miles and take another look.
If it does not drop the problem is not imminent.

Check out the links about the oil consumption, print out TSB#15-015 and take it to your dealer if you do see oil consumption.

Use only high octane premium gas, that should prevent the problem. It would also return a slightly better economy, so the extra cost is somewhat compensated for. It gets slightly better economy than pre-2012 Insights anyway.

And good luck! I hope Honda treats you well. I have had a string of Hondas and I would only buy another one if I trust them - so they'd better fix this issue like they should.
Sad to see you get goosebumps for the car we all like so much.
If you have the piston rings replaced or a warranty that Honda will do it for you at the first sign of trouble then you have a good car for the money.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well crap.Checked the oil after 800 miles of owner ship and I've lost half a quart....Called Honda they said I have to pay $68 to diagnose it..If that's the issue then they said they'll fix it.. Problem is that they will lie and take my $68 and say the cars fine..What do I do?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Go ahead and do the service required and keep a lot of records.
Check the dip stick before leaving the facility and when dropping it off.
Pics with a date and time stamp showing also help.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Go ahead and do the service required and keep a lot of records.
Check the dip stick before leaving the facility and when dropping it off.
Pics with a date and time stamp showing also help.

HTH
Willie
Yes, definitely check the dipstick when they start the test. They've been know to way overfill it to scam people. Take pictures when you leave and in the parking lot when you come back.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts