Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I just bought a used Insight 2000, and it came with "winter" wheels and tires. Do you think there is substantial risk driving this vehicle in blizzard conditions (any more than a normal car) to justify these SS tires and larger wheels, or should I use the originals?

2nd question: I notice a huge difference in mpg based on outside temperature. 50F I get about 60mpg, but 30F I get about 53mpg.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We got our first snow last night, and found that the insight handles pretty good on stock tires. A lot depends on how much snow you get and how good of a snow driver you are. Sounds like they'd be Nice to have around if you get some heavy snow conditions. Although they do make snow tires in the stock size. As far as gas mileage goes, notice a drop of 4-7 mpg during cold spells May have to do the Hot Air Intake mod to help get it back. Also, gas companies change the mixture up once the cold weather for pollutions reasons, and that will affect mileage too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Brrrrrr! Another Minneapolis Insight driver here.

I've had mine through 2 winters already and have been through a number of blizzards with the stock tires. It's a little scary at times, but as dice said, if you're a careful driver there is no problem. Having said that, if I were you, I'd probably leave the snow tires on until spring -- even if you do go for the slight gain in mpg that the stock tires gain you, your mpg numbers aren't going to be so great during the winter anyway.

After this recent dip in temperature, I too have been getting about 5 mpg less than before -- so it's very normal. Don't be shocked if the mpg drops to the high 40's in January (auto-stop and lean burn aren't going to work so hot in subzero temps, but remember that the fuel economy of all the other cars on the road are dropping too, so that's really not too shabby in comparison).

By the way, if you haven't tried blocking your radiator with a piece of cardboard yet (as detailed in other threads), by all means do so... you will enjoy the fact that your car warms up much faster!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi parr0057 and welcome to the forum :!: :)

1-6x17" cardboard piece & +10 MPG! Yup no lie
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=1970

There are "design" considerations and possible negative consequences. I'd recommend reading the whole thread before deciding if its right for you. ;)

See my sig for a pictorial on the hot air mod too :!: ;)

HTH! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts