Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a smug, dare I say "self righteous" new Insight owner, who grew up hot rodding cars around the backroadsof Georgia....and on the Autobahn, I've noticed some benefical changes in my driving behavior.

1) I often find myself driving at hwy speedlimit...or lower, all to get higher MPG.

2) I turn on the AC only as long as needed to "take the edge off", then it gets turned off.

3) I'm "double-clicking the FCD button to get a MPG update.

4) Drafting behind big trucks.

5 ) I think if every vehicle had a real-time MPG and trip MPG meter then driving habits would change. Americans (like myself) are cheap, and having the dollars and cents in front of them as they drive would do more to curb fuel waste than anything I can think of.

Steve

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome my brother to our world of fuel efficiency...where some just plain refuse to tread.

I too became obsessed with my driving habits once I was able to see how severely I was effecting my consumption. The gauge kept subconsciously telling me "your an idiot"..... "slow down"...and sometimes "burn down the neighbor's house"...

But the Insight is not the first to have these.

My new Caddy STS had these gauges. That is probably the reason I kept it only 3 months. I was so embarrased at my whopping 17 mpg average. Don't ask how much money I lost on that deal...traded it for a Scion and still had to come up with money. Wife SEVERELY displeased.

I agree though, if every car on the market had similar mpg displays, the majority of Americans would change their driving habits (not all). We want to conquer that next hill...and gain another .3 mpg's on the display. I know I do.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
2hybrids said:
<snip>
The gauge kept subconsciously telling me "your an idiot"..... "slow down"...and sometimes "burn down the neighbor's house"...

<snip>
There are pills you can take for that. Requires a psychiatrist for the prescription. Please don't forget to take your medication. :p :p :p
(and your neighbor will thank you)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"My new Caddy STS had these gauges. That is probably the reason I kept it only 3 months. I was so embarrased at my whopping 17 mpg average. Don't ask how much money I lost on that deal...traded it for a Scion and still had to come up with money. Wife SEVERELY displeased. "

Probably as much as I'm losing on my 2004 F-150 FX4! I averaged 14.7 MPG. One time, On a trip to Mojave, I pumped up the tires, folded the dumboears mirrors back and maintained 65 to 70 MPH. I got 16.9 MPG.

-steve

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I completely agree on the need for all cars to have instantaneous mileage indicators. You find out so much about how to drive for economy...

·
Registered
88 Posts
There are pills you can take for that. Requires a psychiatrist for the prescription. Please don't forget to take your medication.
(and your neighbor will thank you)
:) yeah, through these gauges, my car tells me a lot of things now, especially "I'm more morally responsible...."

and if I forget to take my pills, it says "everyone is out to get you"

Standard car guages generally indicate how fast you can get the car to go and how quickly you can do it.

The instantaneous mpg, lifetime mpg, and trip gauge in the Insight let you know how many miles you can go on the least amount of fuel.

Same effect, different goal.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,970 Posts
gauge

IF every car had a vacuum gauge installed and IF everyone learned to drive with the gauge, everyone could brag about their mileage.

Drove my "98" F150 NASCAR Limited Edition pickup from Calif. to Fla. in 2000........Averaged 22.1 mpg........used vacuum gage.

2001 Insight, same route 2001..........71.2 mpg (pre turbo)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm a reformed speed demon too. Took me two days to completely change the way I drive. I let a friend drive and he said he'd love to have a fuel consumption display in his car.

I've also changed the way I don't drive. No more trips to the grocery store for me. It's less than a mile away, so I can walk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts