Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks! New user here at the forum :Hello:

Last week I became the proud owner of a 2012 Honda Insight EX w/ Nav. I got it used from the owner with 117K miles in great condition and unbelievable price. I'm pretty happy with it so far, and I love the fuel efficiency and design!

It has been an adjustment period however, as I am not the... most fuel-efficient driver :D The speedometer colors have slowly been coaching me to improve my driving habits. My first couple of trips I got 35 mpg... then 44... and this morning on my 16-mile commute to work I got somewhere over 50 (I got lucky with little traffic and nice weather)!

My previous car, a '98 Honda CRV, didn't even get 20 mpg. I'm hoping the Insight will last me as long as my CRV (at least 300K miles).

I do have a couple of questions however. I saw in a thread (forum won't let me link it) that there are software updates to make the IMA work better (not regen while going up hills and such). I'm wondering if these apply to the 2012 model or if they come pre-installed?

Also, I'm wondering if there is any way to display the accurate mpg per-trip or on the Nav screen? Right now I just use the bar chart and trip average mpg in the multifunction screen by the wheel.

Thanks guys! I welcome any tips/tricks/other advice to get the most out of my Insight!

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
Welcome

Welcome Juan to Insight Central and congratulations on your new car. Please click the "User CP" button above, and then in the left side bar "Edit your details" to prove an approximate location. This is helpful and traditional on IC:)

·
Super Moderator
4,732 Posts
Juan, get familiar with the oil consumption problem with 2012s. There is a process to go through, but Honda will fix this.

Sam

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rainsux! I heard about this but am unsure of how to approach the issue. Should I ask a Honda dealership to do my next oil change and test for oil consumption? Should I press them if they overfill the oil as I've heard some people complain about?

Also I figured out how to see an exact mpg per trip on the Nav screen :D Made 53 mpg on my drive to work this morning :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Don't forget to actually fill the tank and zero out one of the trip meters and divide the miles driven by the gallons used to refill. That is the real MPG. The MID is just an approximation.

As to oil consumption, just keep an eye on it yourself. You can use the MID oil life %. It's real and works. If you do not wait until it reaches 15%, it will not show codes for other things that need doing. Keep in mind that this Honda does not have a timing belt, so the accessory drive belt does not get replaced during that service. Neither does the coolant. There are 8! very expensive spark plugs that are supposed to be replaced at 105k (or around there, the MID sets the code based on how many oil changes there have been) You can let them go a while. We did not do them until 130k and they came out clean and still usable. If you do experience the piston ring issue, sometimes that fouls a spark plug(s) as well, so Honda could be replacing some of them on their dime.

Do you have any service history from the previous owner?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Juan - welcome.
You will find that the bulk of posts on this site are first gen Insights. That said there are a few of us with 2nd gen cars that can give some insight. Pun intended. So - how great of a price did you get? I paid $5800 for mine with 73K a few months ago. As you've already learned, there is a possible issue with oil consumption in the 2012 models (I believe 2010 and 2011 as well) due to a compression ring design flaw. The way I found out mine had the issue was it threw a CEL; having already dealt with O2 sensors on a prior Honda I had a code reader (iOBD2 I think it is and it's pretty cheap and works great) so I read the code the day after the light came on and quick research pointed to low oil pressure. Checking the oil it was so low that there was just a spec on the dipstick. Took 2.6 quarts to get it full. That was about 2600 miles past the last oil change I had a record of prior to my purchase. So the first thing to do is check your level - now. If it is below the lowest hole on the dipstick (at least a quart low) - add enough 0W20 to get it to at least 1/2 way to the top hole and get it to a dealer ASAP. If it's above the lowest hole but not close to the top one-check it in about 100 miles. If it seems lower by then you likely have the issue. IF it's at the top hole - then check in 200-250 miles. If it is still near the top hole then it could be that your car already has been fixed. A carfax may show this service - but it may not. I get service updates from 'myCarfax' but it's not very complete. On my fix it says basically says drive belts changed ( I got that done as well ) and Engine checked. As of August Honda still requires a consumption test to be done to "prove" you have the bad rings they put in every car made in model year 2010-2012. You have to take it to a dealer and they'll do a complete oil/filter change to start the test. Some dealers have been reported to charge quite a few $ for this (I think one was at least 100). Mine charged me zero ($0). I made sure to check the oil level with the service writer before I left so I could almost be sure of the level at the start. Did he put the dipstick all the way in? probably. In hindsight I should have done it myself - either then or before I left. I checked it frequently and near 1000 miles it was near the bottom hole. They extended the warranty I believe to 8 years and unlimited miles. So if it doesn't show enough consumption on the first test - then monitor and when you feel the consumption meets the 1qt/1000 miles requirement then do another one. The 8 years is from the date of original purchase by the original owner. It took something like 10 days for the district manager to approve the repair. I paid extra for all of the hoses to be replaced as well as the drive belt. I got over-charged a bit but they offered a credit back for that amount. This is long - but it's important if you want to keep the engine to 300K!

On the "indicated" MPG - a 2010 Prius I owned was about 5-6% higher with the car calculated MPG than reality and my Insight is about the same. So you need to show 52 or 53 to really be getting 50.

The unit that holds the Nav and controls the audio,clock,trip data can do a lot of things - check out all of the little 'buttons' on the display - or read the manual.

The manual 'shifters' on the steering wheel are pretty nifty in stop-and-go traffic but I haven't found it to contribute to higher regen as the "B" tranny mode in the Prius.

Again, welcome. Enjoy and update here as to your oil level experience - I'm curious at over 100K how it's doing if it wasn't already fixed!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
What he said^
Please be careful spreading false information.
There are other Hondas that did use the "experimental" piston rings in 2011 models, just not Insights. We think it was resolved by 2014, but we would have to have 2014 owners reporting here to know. I think production numbers on the 2014s was quite low anyway.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
juan, here is a search term you can use:

15-015

That is the technical service bulletin number Honda issued about the oil consumption problem in the 2012-2013 Insights. I seem to remember Honda actually sending letters to owners about the warranty extension.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2013 that had the oil consumption problem. They put a 2014 block in and I now have 60k on the 14 block and all is well so far.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi Juan - welcome.
You will find that the bulk of posts on this site are first gen Insights. That said there are a few of us with 2nd gen cars that can give some insight. Pun intended. So - how great of a price did you get? I paid $5800 for mine with 73K a few months ago. As you've already learned, there is a possible issue with oil consumption in the 2012 models (I believe 2010 and 2011 as well) due to a compression ring design flaw. The way I found out mine had the issue was it threw a CEL; having already dealt with O2 sensors on a prior Honda I had a code reader (iOBD2 I think it is and it's pretty cheap and works great) so I read the code the day after the light came on and quick research pointed to low oil pressure. Checking the oil it was so low that there was just a spec on the dipstick. Took 2.6 quarts to get it full. That was about 2600 miles past the last oil change I had a record of prior to my purchase. So the first thing to do is check your level - now. If it is below the lowest hole on the dipstick (at least a quart low) - add enough 0W20 to get it to at least 1/2 way to the top hole and get it to a dealer ASAP. If it's above the lowest hole but not close to the top one-check it in about 100 miles. If it seems lower by then you likely have the issue. IF it's at the top hole - then check in 200-250 miles. If it is still near the top hole then it could be that your car already has been fixed. A carfax may show this service - but it may not. I get service updates from 'myCarfax' but it's not very complete. On my fix it says basically says drive belts changed ( I got that done as well ) and Engine checked. As of August Honda still requires a consumption test to be done to "prove" you have the bad rings they put in every car made in model year 2010-2012. You have to take it to a dealer and they'll do a complete oil/filter change to start the test. Some dealers have been reported to charge quite a few $ for this (I think one was at least 100). Mine charged me zero ($0). I made sure to check the oil level with the service writer before I left so I could almost be sure of the level at the start. Did he put the dipstick all the way in? probably. In hindsight I should have done it myself - either then or before I left. I checked it frequently and near 1000 miles it was near the bottom hole. They extended the warranty I believe to 8 years and unlimited miles. So if it doesn't show enough consumption on the first test - then monitor and when you feel the consumption meets the 1qt/1000 miles requirement then do another one. The 8 years is from the date of original purchase by the original owner. It took something like 10 days for the district manager to approve the repair. I paid extra for all of the hoses to be replaced as well as the drive belt. I got over-charged a bit but they offered a credit back for that amount. This is long - but it's important if you want to keep the engine to 300K!

On the "indicated" MPG - a 2010 Prius I owned was about 5-6% higher with the car calculated MPG than reality and my Insight is about the same. So you need to show 52 or 53 to really be getting 50.

The unit that holds the Nav and controls the audio,clock,trip data can do a lot of things - check out all of the little 'buttons' on the display - or read the manual.

The manual 'shifters' on the steering wheel are pretty nifty in stop-and-go traffic but I haven't found it to contribute to higher regen as the "B" tranny mode in the Prius.

Again, welcome. Enjoy and update here as to your oil level experience - I'm curious at over 100K how it's doing if it wasn't already fixed!
Thanks for all the info! I got it for $5400. I did get the carfax before buying. The estimated carfax value was about $7200.
It says the following that may be relevant:
04/30/2014 62,568 miles
Engine checked
Piston rings replaced

Good call on the oil check! I just did it and it was nearly at the max point.. checked a couple times to make sure. I think I'm good in regards to oil consumption :)

Carfax says that the airbag assembly, which had a recall, was replaced too already. Score!!

I'll start a new trip with my next fill-up and see how close to the reported I'm getting. I noticed it varies wildly depending on traffic, temperature, distance driven, etc. I can get as low as 35 and as high as 54. Any other tips/tricks are highly welcome!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick update:
MPG continues to impress, and vary wildly. I got up to 55 mpg on the highway this morning (and I didn't piss off too many people in the right lane :D). My range for this tank is looking to be 475-500 miles.

Unfortunately, by 12v battery is not doing so hot. The colder weather probably played a role, but twice now I've had to get a jump from another car because my car wouldn't start after being in accessory mode for no more than 15 mins, with the headlights off. This isn't normal right? Any advice on getting a standard or Group 51 battery I've seen around here?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Updates:
I filled my tank and reset the trip meter. I got to 355.5 miles until the low fuel light came on. I filled it and it took nearly exactly 9 gallons, giving me an average of about 39.5mpg. The display said 42 for the trip, so it is about 2-3mpg inaccurate. I tried to drive fuel-efficiently and have been getting better, but had to let my partner drive my car some as his is getting serviced. That definitely made a dent in my efficiency :D

I've also been checking the oil level every 150 or so miles. When I first got it, it was close to the top mark, now it's about 1/3 of the way... The drop in temp might have to do with it too but I'll continue monitoring. I hope I don't have the issue as the piston rings are supposedly already replaced.

Side note: I don't have a spare key so I bought one with a fob on Amazon, identical to the one I have. I looked up how to program it myself and it seems easy, but the cutting is kind of expensive it seems. One locksmith quoted me about $180, with me providing the uncut key... Has anyone had experience with dealerships or any less expensive methods?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts