Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drelen's Insight Thread

Hello Insight Central. I have been diving deep into all of the threads here and figured I should come up for air and say Hi before going back in.

This past weekend I picked up a wonderfully maintained Silver 2000 Insight. The Insight was not on my RADAR until recent. I had just changed careers and my new position is a long-ish commute at the moment. Naturally I decided to look for something that gets good gas mileage.

I began searching locally for affordable hybrids and saw a non running Insight for a low price. Since not knowing anything about the car I began the research to learn about this odd looking machine. That is when the fascination began. Being a Electromechanic Tech by trade this car hit all of my weak spots. I was beginning to become infatuated with the car. After I realized that I needed one, I called the local seller and was disappointed to hear that the car had already sold. Which made me want one ever more and actually worked out for the best. Shortly after, I came across another Insight for sale that was just within my comfort level to go pick up (a little over 300 miles drive away).

Contacting the seller to discuss potential issues with the car revealed that it did not have any unexpected quirks. Then before I knew it I was behind the wheel headed home with a new family member and smiling from ear to ear. Today was the first day I made the commute to work and it felt great. I have a lot to learn still and a few things I want to do with it but overall I am extremely happy with the car, after taking my step-son for a ride he said he wanted one now too haha.

Okay I am diving back in, there are a few things I am researching here in the forums and I am itching to get back to learning.

*Edit*
04/30/19

Looks like I can attach images now and I figured this one should be up front :)

·
Super Moderator
7,195 Posts
Congratulations on getting yourself an Insight and welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about your car.

Get yourself in a frame of mind to do all your own work. The dealerships are terrible with this now old car;)

Fortunately, there are some really good resources here on IC.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Drelen:

+1, congrats on your "new" gem and welcome to the forum.

There are many resources on the site. On the home page is the knowledge base and interactive encyclopedia. At the top of each forum section are stickies, many with links that will answer most questions an insighter will encounter.

Here's a couple handy items to have when troubleshooting is required. From Mike Dabrowski's site a method to flash out trouble codes, Mikes site has lots info about our car. And a spreadsheet maintained by AbCaRed00 (Bill) that lists almost every trouble code the car can set. Bill's sheet also has many links to other good info.

Keep an eye on the "Hybrid Socials" section for upcoming meet ups. These are great opportunities to meet other insighters, work on cars, and share maintenance ideas.

Good luck and happy insighting.

..Bob

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the welcomes. Yes I fully intend to do my own maintenance and mods. I have done so in the past for all of my other vehicles, and I am excited to get experience with a hybrid. Which is what brought me here and to all of the awesome write-ups and great community, so much info here :cool: I just need to come up with a game plan before I start tinkering because right now I am like a kid in a candy store with eyes jumping around to all of the shiny things.

So more about the car. It is a 2000 Silver Insight. Has almost 200k miles on it with a life time MPG of a little over 54 mpg. Some paint is faded on the roof and a few of the exterior black accent colors are eroded away.

During the trip home I was able to average about 55 mpg while keeping up with my wife on the interstate going 75-80 mph. This week I have gone about 200 miles and averaged 59.2 mpg. My initial goal is to shoot for 60 mpg and so far that looks very promising.

I am thinking about starting a build thread to log the evolution of the car, is that something that is allowed here? I do not recall seeing many.

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
If you are going to do mods or repairs on your Insight, keep them on a single thread, like here as it is your first post. Be careful of getting better mileage, it can be addictive, and you will always want MORE.

Willie

·
Super Moderator
7,195 Posts
I am thinking about starting a build thread to log the evolution of the car, is that something that is allowed here? I do not recall seeing many.
If you are going to be tinkering with the car yourself, you would really benefit from InsightFest2019. It will be in Columbus, OH on Sept. 6-8th. Probably a fairly easy one day drive from you.

Read about it here:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/hybrid-socials-events/123647-insightfest-2019-more-power-k-swap-lithium-more-columbus-oh-sept-6-7-8-a.html#post1429941

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are going to do mods or repairs on your Insight, keep them on a single thread, like here as it is your first post. Be careful of getting better mileage, it can be addictive, and you will always want MORE.

Willie
Hahha. Too late I am getting hooked. On the way home I hit 300 miles on this tank and also hit 60.1 average mpg goal achieved. :D

Good idea. I’ll keep my personal journey documented in this post.

If you are going to be tinkering with the car yourself, you would really benefit from InsightFest2019. It will be in Columbus, OH on Sept. 6-8th. Probably a fairly easy one day drive from you.
Ohh neat. I’ll look into it. I am originally from OH and have family up there still. Thank you for the heads up!

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Ah ha, the mpg bug, VERY contagious.

Here's a link to some mpg tips. The article by Wayne Gerdes is a long read but has some detailed info. Combining a couple of his methods usually gives nice results.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Does the button on the trunk latch work? If not see my signature!

Welcome!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
@Drelen Welcome to the club.
FYI InsightFest, the annual national meeting of Insight owners is in Columbus, Ohio.

It is September 6,7 & 8. Friday-Sunday.
$60 per person. (Additional optional fee for a special event Sunday)

It's a great way to get a jump start on learning about your car, plus meeting folks in the community.

Here is the thread about it.
https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/hybrid-socials-events/123647-insightfest-2019-more-power-k-swap-lithium-more.html

Being from Ohio, it might be an excuse to head back that way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello @Drelen,
I am a new owner too! as of two days ago - over in Clemson.

Mines a 2001 MT, 173,000mi, defunct IMA, Montecarlo Blue, not a looker at all, but it is mostly complete and drives!. I'm having fun diving into it.

So far I have pulled and cleaned the EGR Plate (it was pretty well clogged), the VTEC filter (it was clean), bled the clutch. Tomorrow hope to check the valves and oil change.

This forum is proving invaluable - THANKS ALL!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the button on the trunk latch work? If not see my signature!

Welcome!

No it was not working when I got the car. When the previous owner told me it was broken, I said "I wonder if I could 3d print something to fix it." and he smiled and handed me a 3d printed part. I put that in this past weekend and it is all fixed :D The associated video in the video thread made it easy to follow and I was done in no time!

Hello @Drelen,
I am a new owner too! as of two days ago - over in Clemson.

Mines a 2001 MT, 173,000mi, defunct IMA, Montecarlo Blue, not a looker at all, but it is mostly complete and drives!. I'm having fun diving into it.

So far I have pulled and cleaned the EGR Plate (it was pretty well clogged), the VTEC filter (it was clean), bled the clutch. Tomorrow hope to check the valves and oil change.

This forum is proving invaluable - THANKS ALL!
Awesome! Nice to meet ya neighbor. I am in Easley! If you ever need help let me know. :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for all the welcomes!!!! Great to be here :)

So I had an Insight-full weekend ;) (I imagine that pun is wore out over here but I had to use it at least once).

I decided to work on a few things all at the same time. First off was working on sound both inside and outside of the car.

Inside I replaced the front speakers due to one of them being blown with the Polk slims and they sound much better.

Sound outside was sort of a novelty idea I thought of one morning going down the interstate and thinking about how other drivers may not see me... and Air Hon :cool:

I am unable to post pictures until my post count is higher but I may do a write-up if that is something that folks are interested in. Because I am doing something special with how it operates.

I also added another 12v outlet for dash cam, and as mentioned in my previous post I fixed the truck latch. All in all it was great weekend getting to know the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another great weekend and things done on the Insight. First off during my trip to the pick and pull I began having IMA issues. I was able to reset it a couple times to get it home. I gave it a grid charge that evening and all is well for now. The previous owner sold me an extra battery pack and cells along with a charger to recondition the cells. Upcoming weekend I will set up an area and begin that process. Additionally, I was able to swap in a different Stereo for slightly enhance audio quality over what was in there.
While I was at the pick and pull I sourced a different center console out of a 98 Civic and installed that, yay arm rest! The last thing I did was finish up my Air horn circuit and built that module. Which should be installed this weekend. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
7,195 Posts
I think we have a real live Insight enthusiastic here. It is refreshing to have a new member who hasn't owned the car for a year and whose first post is, "help me, my IMA light is on." Where were they for that year?

Keep up the good work:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think we have a real live Insight enthusiastic here. It is refreshing to have a new member who hasn't owned the car for a year and whose first post is, "help me, my IMA light is on." Where were they for that year?

Keep up the good work:)
Thank you :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
Welcome to the group. If you are anything like us your love for the little G1 will just grow. That along with your confidence in it. They are a lot of fun and technological marvels and a lot of fun to drive at 60 MPG. Can't beat that with a stick.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome to the group. If you are anything like us your love for the little G1 will just grow. That along with your confidence in it. They are a lot of fun and technological marvels and a lot of fun to drive at 60 MPG. Can't beat that with a stick.

Oh yeah definitely, I have been getting great MPG so far with only minor adjustments to how I drive. First tank was 62.2, second tank I managed 66.2, I am on my third right now and it is looking to be around 63 mpg.

I will be doing an OBDIIC&C and IMAC&C in the near future... :cool:

Additionally I must of passed the forum test because I can post pictures. I added an image of my car in the first post. :badgrin:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts