Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Well we got our insight saturday, well actually my wife did as I couldn't get back in the country on time (US).
So I drove it for the first time tonight, and I must say I'm very impressed, its my first hybrid but probably won't be our last.

One thing I am slightly wondering (worried?) about is the engine, I expected a typical super quiet and smooth Honda unit, but it seems a little rough, a bit more like a diesel than a gas engine, when you rev it it kind of growls a bit and doesn't seem that smooth, is this normal??? I think the fella that owned it before me didn't used to rev it much over 3-3500 RPM, is this ok? or too low?

I could take it to my local Honda dealer here as its still under warrantee, but they have never seen an Insight before (I asked) so they would have no idea if the engine is ok or not...

Chris

P.S. Whats the torque setting for the sump plug? (also where can I buy a new sump plug sealing ring? I want to change the oil this weekend).

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I have gotten things like air filters etc. from:

http://handa-accessories.com/insight.html

They have the oil filters and the washer.

Your description sounds like something may be out of sorts with your car, as a well functioning stock Insight isn't normally rough or a growler.

Post more details if you can and people here will help.

Most everyone uses the Mobile 1 synthetic 0W-20, or now 5W-20 as they have stopped making the 0W-20 and it can be hard to find.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MMmmm

I don't have a lot more details, car is 65k miles, lots of oil changes done etc, lightly driven.
Its not that the car is rough when driving along, its more noticable when its stopped and idling and you rev it a little, it just seems a little rougher than I expected it to be, I guess I should really listen to another one to see if its common to these cars.

Anyone in Massachusetts, near Worcester??

If there is anything wrong with it, I want to get it all sorted before the warrantee runs out.

Chris

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Hmmm... Maybe it is just louder than you thought it would be, but within normal parameters. I agree best bet is to meet up and compare. You are on the right track.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sound level of Insight Engine

I have owned two Honda Accords over the years before I purchased my 2005 Insight. The sound level of my engine is louder then the Honda Accord. I found I got used to it very quickly.
Jackson

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Chris(MA):

___I am glad to hear that you finally made it back ;)

___You do not need an oil change this early as you still have plenty more miles to go although time wise it would be due. 2.5 quarts will place you just under the full mark and maximize your FE.

___As for any growl, I have driven 3 different Insight’s so far although all at lower RPM’s. They are not as smooth as an Accord given the 3 cylinder ICE but they all were rather smooth and especially given my experience behind the wheel of yours from an easy RPM start to highway speeds for hours on end.

___Heed the warning about over-torqueing that drain plug. It can be a very expensive repair indeed!

Stripped Oil Drain Threads

___For the crush washer, you can pick them up from any Honda or Acura dealership.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:25y2i2z1][email protected][/email:25y2i2z1]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Admittedly the Insight engine deffinitely sounds different. At higher RPM's it deffinitely sounds a bit rough, but I've had no problems with it so far. Do you have a way to post a video or sound clip perhaps? Aside from checking the obvious things I you might consider that the Insight has significantly less sound insulation in it than a standard car so a lot of things will be louder than any other car (especially road noise).

Also consider the 3 cylinder design is not really balancable to begin with so they have the motor act sort of like an extra piston to pulse balance out the engine at idle.

Synthetic oil makes it run a little bit smoother in my opinion too.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"...ts more noticable when its stopped and idling..."

Err, you do have a problem - with your autostop. The engine isn't supposed to be running at all when the car's stopped :)

Seriously, I've noticed a bit of valve noise at a cold idle, and maybe a bit of a growl-ish noise when really accelerating in 1st & 2nd. Seems normal to the car. Remember, each of those 1000 CCs have work pretty hard when you push them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks folks

Hi Wayne! yeah I eventually made it back, thank goodness! The car is great, just like you described, thanks for everything and I hope you are happy with your new car.

I could post a movie/soundbite of the engine, but I have nowhere to host it, is there someone here I could e-mail it to and you could host it?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drove the car from cold this morning

And it seems ok, I think if it had any problems they would be more obvious when the engine was stone cold, I think I was being a little over sensitive etc as I don't have a lot of experience with these cars.

Thanks for all the help!

One more thing, does anyone know if partially angled blinds are available for the insight, the back hatch? They might be useful for blocking the sun and keeping the battery cooler, anyone have anything like this?

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: Drove the car from cold this morning

Chris(MA) said:
One more thing, does anyone know if partially angled blinds are available for the insight, the back hatch? They might be useful for blocking the sun and keeping the battery cooler, anyone have anything like this?

Chris
Used to be a "popular" accessory ... back in the 70's. :p

Haven't seen anything like it for over 20 years now :!:

If you find one AFAIK you'd be the only Insight equipped with such. 8)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Chris - as to the blinds, I think the modern solution is reflective tinting - see the recent "tint" thread in Modifications and Technical Issues

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Chris,

Greetings from a fellow MA Insighter. I bought my 2003 new at Boch Honda in Norwood, MA, in April 2004. The first thing my husband & I noticed during my test ride was how "quiet and smooth" the engine/ride sounded----at least compared to my old '91 Honda Civic CRX si pocket rocket. However this was its first winter and I noticed it sounded a tiny bit rougher, but then again, most cars would in our cold MA weather. Also, the car was a bit noisier overall with my winter tires on (Nokian Hakkapeliita 2s). As others have already mentioned, the Insight does sound different being a 3-cylinder and all. Reving (sp?) it would of course make it sound rougher, but it shouldn't sound "rough" when stopped because the car should be quietly in "auto-idle stop".

You mentioned that your garage didn't know Insights, so you might consider taking it in for a check up and I'd recommend Boch Honda (http://www.BOCH.com) because they've done a great job so far on my car. (No, I don't work for them :) I've had it in for its first oil change (even brought my own oil & filter and told them how much to put in), had winter tires put on & taken off, and recently had its inspection. They have 55 service bays, so you don't have to make an appt.,( FYI--(781) 619-6776) but I always do anyway. They also have good hours Mon-Sat 7-9, and Sun 9-5. They're on Rt. 1 "on the Automile" in Norwood, although it might be a bit of a trip for you coming from Worcester. I live in Hull, north of Cape Cod and south of Boston, and it takes me about an hour to Boch.

You also asked if there were any other MA Insight owners. I believe there are at least 2 others ( Mike from Andover, who kindly responded to my plea about snow tires and recommended Hakka 2s in OEM size mounted on Civic CRX 14" alloy rims. Thanks Mike!!) Also Armin from Boston... You might also try checking the members section since it'll list where most people are from.

Murasaki

·
Registered
106 Posts
My parents both have insights, so we are a 3 insight family. They have service done at the dealer in Auburn. I think it is Lundgren, but I'm not sure. They had great success with them. I got some maintinence parts from them and the prices were reasonable. I tried to get the Shin Etsu grease from a different dealer in CT and they wanted $25 for it. $10 more than from Lundgren. OK, I looked up my previus posts and here is the web address for them http://www.lundgrenhonda.com

Hunter

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been reading further

I have looked on the forum more and listened to the engine a bit more, and I think the valve clearances may need adjustment, it sounds like valve gear noise, kind of rattle/tappy. Makes it sound a bit like a diesel.

I plan on using synthetic oil on my next oil change with slightly higher viscosity which together with having the valve adjustment done, should fix the problem I think.

I will call the dealers in MA that you guys suggested and book the car in soon for a valve adjustment.

Thanks again!

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: I have been reading further

I can "see" the hair on xcel's neck standing up right now :!: :p

Heavier oil will only reduce MPG.

There is a _normal_ "rattle" in _all_ Honda engines, worse when cold. If the noise doesn't go away within 5 miles then a valve tap (from too loose a valve) is a distinct sound that any Honda tech worth his salt can identify. A valve adjustment should be performed is such a case.

The other rattle can me masked by using a heavier oil, but if it ain't broke don't fix it :!:

HTH! :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Chris(MA):

___As Insightful Trekker thought, I had to pull out the paddles, yell clear, and give myself a jolt before I died of fright ;)

___Have you had the chance to look up your Little Beauties final tank, FE, and range data over at Greenhybrid’s Real Hybrid Mileage Database from my trip to your home last week? Here is a primmer:
Notes: 04/09/2005: 1032.3 miles on 9.805 gallons = 105.28 mpg. 43 - 68 degree temps. I drove her from my home in IL. to the Insight’s new owners in Shrewsbury, MA. in 2 fell swoops. The FCD showed a beautiful 103.8 mpg average but the calc’s were even better. What a way to end the Insight’s time under my ownership. It was sad to let her go as she has gone so far beyond my wildest expectations in terms of Fuel Economy and I was saddened to say the least. Chris and Amy, I hope you enjoy your new car as much as I did. She went out with the same bang as that when she arrived. To see > 100 mpg on the FCD for that last trip while using 6 month old Illinois garbage winter blend RFG including 10% Ethanol is a testament to the Insight’s capability no matter where they are located. She is now officially retired and in the new owner(s) hands …
___With that, I still had 2 bars and the low fuel light wasn’t even lit! Thicker oils, valve job’s, changing things :( I know it is your car now but please reconsider as she is setup almost perfectly if not perfect for the highest FE capability of any Insight on the planet! While out on the highway cruising along, you cannot even hear the little beauties sweet song and I would hate for you to waste money and change things only to ruin what she is really setup for … Just reconsider is all as her running note hasn’t changed an octave since I purchased her.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:31llet7q][email protected][/email:31llet7q]

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
I _would_ testify as to xcel's TLC and obsession with obtaining maximum MPG :!:

I can't imagine that there is any room for the "Little Red Beauties" MPG improvement.

I could also testify that xcel's sense of humor has also improved since the "weigh of the world" is off his shoulders in regard to trying to maintain his ranking as one of the top ten MPG "street" driver's in the _WORLD_. :p ;)
But I know I shouldn't post this. <g> & <ducking> (please be merciful xcel)

·
Registered
242 Posts
So, Wayne - did you get a new car? To replace the Insight? If so, what is it? And what kind of mileage does it get? Just curious....

The guy I bought my Insight from now wishes he still had it. I told him yours was up for sale - tried to get him to buy it, but he thinks he wants to try to find another locally....

Jim

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Jim:

___A PZEV based - I4 equipped - Accord EX-L w/ Auto and NAVI … If Honda would have given the AH a sunroof, we would own 2 of them!

___Although not nearly as FE as my Insight by far, I have not lost too much of what the Insight taught me ;)

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attac ... 1804&stc=1

___Insightful Trekker, we have shared the best of times and the worst of times … You are still the best in my book :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1h4vprtj][email protected][/email:1h4vprtj]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts