Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 honda insight 150K miles
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased 2000 insight from a friend. My auto experience is mostly 4cyl air-cooled. I really don't know my amps from my volts. I was told the beast needed a battery. Previous owner (an electrical engineer) had attempted to recondition the 10 year old battery but IMA light still on after install with gauge reading battery discharged. He sold it to me cheap and I ordered a reconditioned battery from Bumblebee. It is supposed to be their "premium" 8amp battery with new cells. Installation was straightforward and I followed the instructions
to start and idle for 10 minutes. Cel was still on as was maintenance light. I took it on the road and after about two miles the IMA light came on and battery gauge went to empty. I plugged in a code reader ( there was a jump wire stuck into the plug previous owner had no knowledge of this) Code was P1607 a bad ecm? So I ordered a reconditioned ecm from auto computers usa. On startup IMA light was out battery gauge was full I was able to turn off cel but after about two minutes Ima came on battery gauge dropped to empty and cel light came on. Code is now P1444. A high voltage short? opened battery area checked all the connections and looked for visible signs all looked ok. Any advice for a newbie with limited electrical skills?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just purchased 2000 insight from a friend. My auto experience is mostly 4cyl air-cooled. I really don't know my amps from my volts. I was told the beast needed a battery. Previous owner (an electrical engineer) had attempted to recondition the 10 year old battery but IMA light still on after install with gauge reading battery discharged. He sold it to me cheap and I ordered a reconditioned battery from Bumblebee. It is supposed to be their "premium" 8amp battery with new cells. Installation was straightforward and I followed the instructions
to start and idle for 10 minutes. Cel was still on as was maintenance light. I took it on the road and after about two miles the IMA light came on and battery gauge went to empty. I plugged in a code reader ( there was a jump wire stuck into the plug previous owner had no knowledge of this) Code was P1607 a bad ecm? So I ordered a reconditioned ecm from auto computers usa. On startup IMA light was out battery gauge was full I was able to turn off cel but after about two minutes Ima came on battery gauge dropped to empty and cel light came on. Code is now P1444. A high voltage short? opened battery area checked all the connections and looked for visible signs all looked ok. Any advice for a newbie with limited electrical skills?
Definitely contact bumblebee batteries

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,577 Posts
Also,please include your location in your profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well that solves the mystery of why there was a jump wire stuck in the obd plug. Thanks Spee will jump later today and report back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blink code is 7slow 8 fast. obd error code is 1449 now. Those codes are Battery module deterioration. If I am reading everything correctly. Talked with Haley @ Bumblebee and they are shipping out another battery hope that is it. I also washed the dirty car had no effect on battery but looks better in the shop.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I’ve found Eli and Bumblebee to be first rate. My Insight came to me with a working Bumblebee that had been purchased by the previous owner. When it failed within the warranty period, Bumblebee replaced it.

In your car, I suspect some issue with the modules that manage the IMA system. While it’s possible that a fresh Bumblebee is faulty, I think it’s also very possible the problem is elsewhere in your Insight. The fault codes should give some clue.

Hopefully others who know more than I, will drop in here, and help you sort it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have suspected from the beginning that the battery may not be the problem. Previous owner rebuilt battery without success. He assumed he had done something wrong. First new bumblebee battery died within 2 miles of testing giving codes previously listed. p1449 and blinks 7 slow 8 fast.
Bumblebee graciously sent a replacement battery and I installed on 6/23. Took it out on a 100 mile test drive. All looked good and I thought finally done until mile 80 Battery went from full to empty in a matter of seconds and IMA light is on. Showing p1449 code and have not checked blinks.
I plan to call Bumblebee for advice. Any ideas here? I have looked for loose or exposed wiring at all battery connections. I suspect (with my very limited knowledge) The BCMs. Already replaced the ECM.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Kind of a 'pedestrian' question/suggestion, but did you pull the 12V neg cable to reset the computers at anytime after installing the new pack/s? P1449-78 triggers when the IMA can't charge the pack more than about 10% without hitting tap voltage limits first, this happens after a 'neg recal' (when the battery computer finds the pack empty). I think this code might persist though for at least a few drive cycles, so after you get the code it doesn't immediately go away. I think. I've seen it persist, at least...

In any event, normally you'd disconnect the 12V or one of the relevant fuses, and then start from scratch. The car should charge the pack, 'recal' when it considers it full, then let you do your thing... I don't know, if you replaced the ECM AND had the pack disconnected, then I'd think that would suffice for a computer reset... So something doesn't quite add up.

The P1444 throws a wrench in the works, too.

All I can suggest is that you pull the 12V neg cable to reset computers, start over and see what happens.

Do you have a grid charger connected? Having a grid charger harness + the charger physically connected to it has been known to cause the P1444, as I recall...

...Bumblebee sent a replacement and I installed on 6/23. Took it out on a 100 mile test drive. All looked good until mile 80, Battery went from full to empty in a matter of seconds and IMA light is on. Showing p1449 code and have not checked blinks.
You should get the blink codes for this, we shouldn't assume it's the same P1449-78 as before. There's 3 other possible sub-codes and each have quite different meanings.

Do you recall if the IMA light came ON when the gauge went empty, or if you saw green charge bars / some time elapsed before it came ON? If the latter it'd probably be the -78, if the former it'd be something else...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First let me give a BIG shout out to Bumblebee Battery. I called and went over the situation and they are sending me all new computers.
Don't know of the light sequence when battery degraded and IMA light came on. It was all fine then in a matter of seconds I looked at the gauges and all was not fine.
I had read here about the 12v reset and tried that. Made no difference. I will try that again today. Thanks again to Bumblebee for the support.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there is no grid charger. Will think about that if I ever get it working

1 - 14 of 14 Posts