Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I picked up a white, 2014 Insight SN yesterday afternoon with 64,000 kms on the clock. This was the top spec designation sold in New Zealand (Nav, reverse camera, auto lights / wipers, etc).

I wanted something safe, cheap to run, and reliable to replace my ageing 2000 Toyota Altezza I'd been driving for the past ten years.

It's going to take me a while to get used to a fuel sipping CVT, compared to a 6-speed that liked to be driven hard, but liking things so far.

Sim

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
redsim:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your G2.

Wow ! all the way over in NZ. We had the honor and pleasure to meet an NZ'er at the 2016 Insightfest, a G1 owner with the sign on Ivorcan (Ivor).

Lot's of good folk here on IC to share information and car stories with.

Good luck and happy Insighting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome, Mountain driver!

Yes, I guess we're pretty far away from most places down here at the bottom of the world. :)

Looking forward to picking up some good tips and info on the new ride.

Cheers!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Post up some Insight in and about New Zealand pictures when you can! These Insights are a great gas sipping transport module. Totally like it, even after 3 years of ownership. Enjoy it!

[/URL]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Foresight!

That's a well camouflaged Insight you have there ;-)

I can't promise any snow, even though we're coming into Winter here, but here's a larger version of my avatar to start things off.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks Foresight!

That's a well camouflaged Insight you have there ;-)

I can't promise any snow, even though we're coming into Winter here, but here's a larger version of my avatar to start things off.

One of our windy snow falls this Winter. Had a few of those this year.

Very nice Insight. I see your NZ Honda has the 16 inch wheels and fog lamps up front that were never offered here in the US. Not sure why the company does that to us so frequently. Honda didn't make the leather interior available here either.

What size tires do they use on those wheels? Should make highway travel quite a bit better. The 15 inch wheels are fitted on our Insights over here with a fairly tall 185/60 15 tire makes for a fairly soft ride, but the sidewall squish gives the car less than stellar linear characteristics at speed, even inflated to near 40 psi.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice Insight. I see your NZ Honda has the 16 inch wheels and fog lamps up front that were never offered here in the US. Not sure why the company does that to us so frequently. Honda didn't make the leather interior available here either.

What size tires do they use on those wheels? Should make highway travel quite a bit better. The 15 inch wheels are fitted on our Insights over here with a fairly tall 185/60 15 tire makes for a fairly soft ride, but the sidewall squish gives the car less than stellar linear characteristics at speed, even inflated to near 40 psi.
Thanks! The local Honda dealer did a really nice job grooming it. Shame they didn't check the tyre pressures (which was 20psi all round :confused:) and the floor mats "mysteriously" went missing (they've ordered me a new set).

I noticed when I was researching that the model specs could be very different between regions. My Nav system is clearly not as good as the US version, I don't even get guide lines for the reverse camera. I would have loved heated side mirrors, as I don't currently have garage space. Cruise control and reverse sensors appear to have always been standard on base models here.

The tyres are the spec size 185/55/R16. I thought they were the Dunlop Enasave 2030s it would have come with, but they're actually SP Sport 2030s. That's a touring tyre but not LRR from what I've read. Recommended pressure is still 33/32psi front/rear, but I'll up that now I know the Insight prefers something around 40psi for better mileage.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks! The local Honda dealer did a really nice job grooming it. Shame they didn't check the tyre pressures (which was 20psi all round :confused:) and the floor mats "mysteriously" went missing (they've ordered me a new set).

I noticed when I was researching that the model specs could be very different between regions. My Nav system is clearly not as good as the US version, I don't even get guide lines for the reverse camera. I would have loved heated side mirrors, as I don't currently have garage space. Cruise control and reverse sensors appear to have always been standard on base models here.

The tyres are the spec size 185/55/R16. I thought they were the Dunlop Enasave 2030s it would have come with, but they're actually SP Sport 2030s. That's a touring tyre but not LRR from what I've read. Recommended pressure is still 33/32psi front/rear, but I'll up that now I know the Insight prefers something around 40psi for better mileage.
Thanks for the info. Our Insight didn't come with Navi (or backup camera) so I can't comment on how good Honda's navigation is. I find that most built in navigation systems offered here in the States are not as good or as easily updated as iPhone. So we use the cell phone for navigation. European Insights could be had with the same type of options you have on your Insight. Not available here in the US for some odd reason.

The Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 that came on the Insight here seem to roll better around 40 front and 38-39 rear psi. Check that your tire's (tyre's) max cold inflation marked on the sidewall allows 40 psi. With a lower profile tire, you should experiment a bit with pressures to see what yields the best MPG and ride. The Ecopias have very soft sidewalls and really need a bit more inflation to firm up the tire a bit. At least they are comfortable and allow efficient average operation at 53 mpg (US gallons) (4.44 L/100 KM?) calculated at the pump which is way better than the EPA estimates for this car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. Our Insight didn't come with Navi (or backup camera) so I can't comment on how good Honda's navigation is. I find that most built in navigation systems offered here in the States are not as good or as easily updated as iPhone. So we use the cell phone for navigation. European Insights could be had with the same type of options you have on your Insight. Not available here in the US for some odd reason.

The Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 that came on the Insight here seem to roll better around 40 front and 38-39 rear psi. Check that your tire's (tyre's) max cold inflation marked on the sidewall allows 40 psi. With a lower profile tire, you should experiment a bit with pressures to see what yields the best MPG and ride. The Ecopias have very soft sidewalls and really need a bit more inflation to firm up the tire a bit. At least they are comfortable and allow efficient average operation at 53 mpg (US gallons) (4.44 L/100 KM?) calculated at the pump which is way better than the EPA estimates for this car.
Swapping out the Nav unit for a CarPlay enabled receiver is pretty high on my list, so I can have my phone mapping onto a larger screen, hands free calling, etc. I'll probably wait to see what new models come out (if any) from Alpine / Sony / Pioneer this year.

The SP Sports have a max pressure rating of 51psi, so plenty of room to play. I won't go mad though as my wife has to drive it too!

I haven't yet been able to find Ecopias here in that 185/55R16 sizing. My two LRR options so far seem to be the Dunlop Enasave, or TOYO Eco Premium.

I'm looking forward to seeing some reasonable savings in running costs compared to my old car.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Had to look up Toyota Altezza. Nice car. Had not seen one... probably not imported here, although it resembles a Lexus that was available in this market during those years... so most likely one of those badge engineering things that marketeers love to do. The Altezza specs say that it has a 2L engine. Couldn't have been too bad on fuel?

Your Insight should easily drive more economically. Hybrids tend to be most efficient when smoothly driven and can get pretty good returns when you let the battery recharge while slowing down off the gas when safe to do so. Driving and watching traffic well ahead obviously allows smoother slowing and acceleration. Mine is fairly sensitive to tire pressure, so keeping them near optimum helps a lot.

I don't know what kind of traffic you deal with day to day. What part of NZ do you drive? Ooops! Auckland. I didn't look closely enough! I'm driving mostly rural secondary roads in the State of Maine (about the farthest point in this country away from New Zealand) with little to moderate traffic and relaxed speed limits in the 35 to 50 mph (approx 55 to 80 kph) range. Our limited access Interstate speed limits are 65 to 70 mph (105-112 kph) where we live, but I don't get on those too often, maybe 10% of the time. The more you drive your Insight the more you'll learn driving methods to help get the most from your fuel.

Give us your opinions on the Insight as you get more miles in it and what kind of economy you achieve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Altezza predated the Lexus brand, the same body was used for the IS200 which you'll be thinking of. Mine was the RS200 with Yamaha tuned, 210bhp, BEAMS engine. Good, but not great in terms of fuel efficiency, and ideally needed to run on 95 / 98 petrol (about $0.20/L over 91).

I work inner city, a 20km drive each way, mostly motorway driving (100km/h limit). It's often stop/start when I travel though. The rest of the time it's suburban driving with 50-60km/h limits.

I'll definitely post an update once I've done a decent amount of driving in the Insight.

Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts