Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2002 Honda Insight for 3500. The IMA light and CEL came on 3 weeks after the purchase. My question is I can buy a Cardone battery for 932.00 with a 3 year warranty or purchase a battery from Bumblebee or Greentec for $1000 more (1900+) with a 3 year warranty. Any reason why I should NOT buy Cardone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
I would suggest you look into someplace like Hybrid Automotive for a charger you can balance your battery with, before dropping $$ on a battery that will need this eventually anyway.
Happy Motoring!

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Is that you Terry? Update your location - quick links - edit your details

I absolutely, positively would not buy from either Cardone or Dorman based on the workmanship of their Prius rebuilds. It's the sloppiest sh!t I've ever seen.

Given that the rock-bottom cost of NEW sticks from China is about $800 before shipping, I doubt the $932 includes new cells. If it does, they are bottom-of-the-barrel garbage that constitutes the rejects, or Cardone has chosen to sell them below cost.

More likely that it's a rebuild, and you should count on at least one replacement during the warranty period, so factor that cost and hassle in as well.

EDIT: and buying a new battery without fixing the A/C here in PHX is a recipe for pain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you S.! Yes, it is Terry. I appreciate your time, help and advice. I am having the water pump replaced (along with the harmonizer and belt) now as well as the air conditioning repaired. The car is in the shop at this moment. I am trying to think about the next step which seems to be to replace the IMA battery. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the car sold here in Phoenix last week for 1995.00 but could not sell it...I have wanted an Insight for so long...just trying to get it going. I know I am in over my head after reading these posts...I honestly do not even understand most of it...Charging and Discharging...???

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
I'm sure if you get together with Steve he can teach you all the aspects you need. It is fairly simple and with the right charger/discharger it is almost automatic.

Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I understand I could unplug the IMA but what are the disadvantages. Seems that the 12 volt becomes very important. It looks like mileage would decrease, may run rougher..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts