Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwing this out there, sorry if not correctly located. I am sure I will have MANY questions.

I had no intention of buying an Insight...... I have 2 jeeps, and a Mercedes SLK that is my “economy car” to commute with. Well, my commute is about 2,500 miles per month, so at 27mpg I was getting, of Premium.... I started looking at options. Really wanted an older pre-dieselgate VW Golf or Jetta, even a wagon.... wanted that 50mpg but also wanted a 3rd pedal. Found none.

Stumbled upon Insights, started looking, and today I picked up:

2000 Honda Insight
75,000 miles
One owner (2 now)
about a 500 page service manual
extensive service records
Southern kept, it’s spotless
5 speed manual (this is a must for all my cars. Even the SLK which is tricky to find in a manual)

Battery is kinda beat so a new 8Ah is being installed this week (it was a $100 difference.... not sure I need it, but why not I guess)

That’s about it. I’ve never been inside one, but I bought one, and it’s getting shipped to me. I need the car to make it maybe 50k miles, and it will pretty much pay for itself.

I have so many questions about grid chargers, and anything I can do to keep it out of the shop, and on the highway.......or worthwhile modifications to increase the mileage and dependability, but I suppose there are many topics on that if I look.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was driving 4000 miles a month before COVID. My battery is on the weaker side but did not give me issues until I let it sit. The only thing I can say is get a cushion for the seat. I also removed the change holder on the left of dashboard and sometimes put my foot up there when I have been sitting too long in it. This car has paid for itself very quickly with the amount of driving I do. I actually bought 2 and my wife uses the second one during the summer.
I have had many cars, but I like these things quite a bit. I drive carefully in them as I don’t think I would want to have an accident in one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a set of tires a year. . .
One of my jeeps has tires that were $3k and are good for about 12,000 miles........ so driving my other car or this one, is always saving much more than just gas!

Also despite what it looks like, my 4-door jeep has less than 70k miles on it, and I’d hate to pile up silly “on-road” miles.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
438 Posts
New owner. Your car is barely broken in. These cars, with proper care, can go 300-400k miles plus. I hate to say this, but your biggest concern on a going forward - like next five plus years basis - may be parts availability. If you have the storage space you might consider picking up a $500 parts car.

Tons of mileage tricks on here. Lots of reading for you to catch up on. At 75k miles, you should have the original plugs (which in my experience in a CVT are worth about 3 mpg over generic plugs).. 105k mile change interval for the OEM Honda iridium plugs. Bridgestone Potenza Re92s tires in the correct size can give you a 5-10% mpg benefit. Scott's belly pan (search is your friend) can give you a mpg boost too.

Others who drive 5 speeds will surely be along with more tips, but the search function for existing posts really is your friend.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
438 Posts
The second gear synchros are a weak point. There is a recognized fix, but it is a trans out and tear down job. Although Scott Kulbeck at Jue Motors in Covina, Ca. (Regarded as probably the leading Gen 1 Insight mechanic in the US) has been known to supply complete gearboxes with the modification done. It has been said on here that if you double clutch you can avoid the synchro issue, but I have no direct personal knowledge of same.

Scott is a moderator on here and posts under KLR3CYL-- Killer 3 Cylinder.

I have done business with him repeatedly. Super guy. Can't recommend him highly enough. Make him your friend.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I bought my Insight back in 2016 on sorta a whim. I had a company car and did not really need to drive it that much. A retirement and new job without a company car and a 2k per month commute made the Insight well worth it. Here is the problem with these cars; you get addicted to them. I now have four of them. I've owned five but one of them I bought for just the parts. My oldest son is turning 16 in a few months and my plan was to let him have one as a first car. How much trouble could he get into with an Insight? You seem to have struck gold with yours. 75k miles is nothing. Baby the transmission and you should have no trouble. You might be thinking that you need a degree in electrical engineering to own one of these cars but they are Hondas and generally run forever. Good luck and listen to the folks on this forum. They know what they are talking about and are very nice.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Welcome. Did you get one of the ones for sale in GA? There were two different grey 2000 Insights for sale in GA, both with about that mileage. One at a dealer, one private party. Sounds like maybe you got the dealer one, it was one owner and in mint condition.

I'm in GA and can help if needed if you're local, holler if you're near.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome. Did you get one of the ones for sale in GA? There were two different grey 2000 Insights for sale in GA, both with about that mileage. One at a dealer, one private party. Sounds like maybe you got the dealer one, it was one owner and in mint condition.

I'm in GA and can help if needed if you're local, holler if you're near.
I did! The dealer one. I live in NE Ohio, so it’s getting shipped, so again, buying sight-unseen, and I have never actually been inside of one.

I spoke with them on the phone and felt pretty good to proceed. Option to get the 8Ah battery was given, so I went for it.

Considered flying down and driving back (555 miles or so) but just don’t have the time.

Edit: Did you see it in person? It’s nice shape?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, from trying to zoom in on pictures (after reading so much about them) The car appears to have NEXEN tires. No idea size, or model, but assuming properly sized, in terms of “Not Ideal Potenzas” how noticeable of a MPG hit will I take with these if I don’t swap right away?

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I did! The dealer one. I live in NE Ohio, so it’s getting shipped, so again, buying sight-unseen, and I have never actually been inside of one.

I spoke with them on the phone and felt pretty good to proceed. Option to get the 8Ah battery was given, so I went for it.

Considered flying down and driving back (555 miles or so) but just don’t have the time.

Awesome, that is a fine car. I talked to the sales people in detail three different times about it because I was considering buying it. I’m going to estimate you paid around eight to $9000 which I think is fair if the car has a new battery. Aside from the tires the only issue I remember was a small damaged spot on the passenger seat. I went back-and-forth with them about the battery and they insisted it was in good condition but I noticed that they changed their advertisement later when the car sat for a few months and they realize the battery was no good.

yes you will take a small hit with those tires, since you are paying a premium for the car and it is in such great condition I would recommend getting the correct tires so that if nothing else you can get the experience Honda intended.

and yes your upgraded battery was a good decision, I have had both the standard and upgraded batteries in my cars and the better one truly is better.

Enjoy the car, glad it went to a good owner!!!

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
And to answer your other question, especially since you’ve never driven or owned one of these, I highly highly recommend getting Scott’s rear springs installed, is very easy to do yourself and very affordable. Changes the very worst thing about the car and makes it livable. Worst thing being that the stock springs offer a painful and punishing ride. So get those upgraded, you’ll be very happy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome, that is a fine car. I talked to the sales people in detail three different times about it because I was considering buying it. I’m going to estimate you paid around eight to $9000 which I think is fair if the car has a new battery. Aside from the tires the only issue I remember was a small damaged spot on the passenger seat. I went back-and-forth with them about the battery and they insisted it was in good condition but I noticed that they changed their advertisement later when the car sat for a few months and they realize the battery was no good.

yes you will take a small hit with those tires, since you are paying a premium for the car and it is in such great condition I would recommend getting the correct tires so that if nothing else you can get the experience Honda intended.

and yes your upgraded battery was a good decision, I have had both the standard and upgraded batteries in my cars and the better one truly is better.

Enjoy the car, glad it went to a good owner!!!
Will definitely plan on tires. Will probably rack up a thousand miles (should take 2 weeks) and at least see what mileage I get as-is.

Not sure if this was covered in your talks with them, but they said the CEL was on and indicated a battery failure..... Was this bot the case when they first listed it? Reason I ask, is my biggest concern was replacing the battery, and finding it was throwing other codes, unrelated to the battery. Car isn’t useful to me if I can’t register it here!

They did say it passed it GA emissions in December though, so I was 95% sure it only had the battery issue

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Will definitely plan on tires. Will probably rack up a thousand miles (should take 2 weeks) and at least see what mileage I get as-is.

Not sure if this was covered in your talks with them, but they said the CEL was on and indicated a battery failure..... Was this bot the case when they first listed it? Reason I ask, is my biggest concern was replacing the battery, and finding it was throwing other codes, unrelated to the battery. Car isn’t useful to me if I can’t register it here!

They did say it passed it GA emissions in December though, so I was 95% sure it only had the battery issue
You took a bit of a risk buying the car sight unseen. No way to know what the check engine light was unless a code reader was hooked up, it could be many things. But from what I know about these cars it is most likely that the light lit up due to the battery failure. A different dealership actually had The car before the one that you bought it from did, it was actually a Honda dealership. They cleared all the codes and drove it down the road and said it was fine but the light kept coming back on. I tried to explain to them that that meant it needed a new battery but they fought me on it and it was the lack of customer service that turned me off to the car. But I would bet a nickel that once the new battery is installed it will resolve the check engine light. Other potential issues with the car in question could be catalytic converter problems and also transmission synchro issues. But with that low mileage again I’m willing to bet that everything is solid, especially since it is in such a good cosmetic condition, I think you have a winner.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And to answer your other question, especially since you’ve never driven or owned one of these, I highly highly recommend getting Scott’s rear springs installed, is very easy to do yourself and very affordable. Changes the very worst thing about the car and makes it livable. Worst thing being that the stock springs offer a painful and punishing ride. So get those upgraded, you’ll be very happy.
I definitely will look into the springs. I do have a couple kids, 3 dogs, etc. So a much larger (TDI Wagon) commuter is in the future to serve “dual purpose” of work and trips and errands etc.

This vehicle will either be me or my Girlfriend and a backpack with a laptop, traveling 5-6 days a week (we each drive 3-4 days a week, so this car will be driven every day by one of us) so between us, probably 3-3,500 miles a month.

I was reading about MPG hits from passengers etc..... Will be interested in seeing how we fare, since neither of us are large humans. I’m 145lbs soaking wet, and she’s probably 100 or so, and it will just be one of us at a time.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I definitely will look into the springs. I do have a couple kids, 3 dogs, etc. So a much larger (TDI Wagon) commuter is in the future to serve “dual purpose” of work and trips and errands etc.

This vehicle will either be me or my Girlfriend and a backpack with a laptop, traveling 5-6 days a week (we each drive 3-4 days a week, so this car will be driven every day by one of us) so between us, probably 3-3,500 miles a month.

I was reading about MPG hits from passengers etc..... Will be interested in seeing how we fare, since neither of us are large humans. I’m 145lbs soaking wet, and she’s probably 100 or so, and it will just be one of us at a time.
If you drive it like a normal car you'll get high 40s to low 50s mpgs. If you hypermile you'll get in the 60s around town and 70s highway, or more...but you'll take longer to get where you're going every time. Insight life.

Would be awesome to see some pics of the car once you get it. So glad it found a good home, I considered moving on it but I've bought 3 Insights since last June and my current daily driver is super nice, just couldn't justify spending that much on yet another car. How many Insights can one person own? There must be a limit.

Holler if you have more ?s and PM me if you want to chat I'll shoot you my #.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,188 Posts
When you get the car, don't try to be a "hyper-miler" all at once. It is a trait that is learned from experimenting and due dillegence. Drive like a "normal" car and get used to it. Then you can experiment and play with the mileage quest.
Welcome to the ELITE FAMILY, Please include your Location in your Profile.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When you get the car, don't try to be a "hyper-miler" all at once. It is a trait that is learned from experimenting and due dillegence. Drive like a "normal" car and get used to it. Then you can experiment and play with the mileage quest.
Welcome to the ELITE FAMILY, Please include your Location in your Profile.
My only goal, is 75-100k “trouble free” miles, and 60mpg or so. I won’t be doing 55 in the 70 just to try to lower my fuel consumption, if that’s what you’re saying!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I in the Detroit Metro area and have a set of Insight OEM rims with OEM E92 tires with Appx 1000 miles on them. Email me if interested as you will gain 3-5 mpg with the OEM tires. [email protected]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts