Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Will definitely plan on tires. Will probably rack up a thousand miles (should take 2 weeks) and at least see what mileage I get as-is.
Since you're where the snow flies with resonably frequency, do NOT get the Vredestein Quatrac tires expecting to drive them in the snow. I have them and they are the worst tires in the snow I've driven in the last half-century. And, yes, other people, I know they're not snow tires, but they're even worse than the mostly-bald Firestone 721s that I ran on my '74 VW Rabbit!

Noisy as heck, too, right around 55mph.

Good mileage, though. ;]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Since you're where the snow flies with resonably frequency, do NOT get the Vredestein Quatrac tires expecting to drive them in the snow. I have them and they are the worst tires in the snow I've driven in the last half-century. And, yes, other people, I know they're not snow tires, but they're even worse than the mostly-bald Firestone 721s that I ran on my '74 VW Rabbit!

Noisy as heck, too, right around 55mph.

Good mileage, though. ;]
I was planning on the potenza’s or whatever...... How are those? Keep in mind, I’ve driven my RWD 3-pedal SLK is some pretty terrible snow 60+ miles each way, just so I didn’t have to use $25 in gas and wear out my jeep!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I was planning on the potenza’s or whatever...... How are those?
Mine had mostly worn-out Potenzas when I bought it and they were better than the Qs. The thing about the Insight is that’s it’s so light to that it sort of skitters in the snow, especially loose or drifted stuff, even just a couple inches deep. And I don’t use spacers on the back wheels so there’s the “Insight wiggle” to deal with in the snow and slush. That’s really pronounced with the Qs, too. I’ve driven a crap-ton of different cars, fwd, rwd, manual and auto, heavy and light, and will say, without a doubt, I’ve never driven a car as jinky in the snow as the G1 with those tires on it. Makes you pay attention!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I put a set of new Nexens on my 260,000-mile Insight last summer. In the harshest of Wisconsin winter conditions right now (a week of sub-zero temps) I’m getting just under 50mpg. In the summer I can do 60mpg easily and closer to 70mpg on longer trips with a bit of care.

RE92s will do even better, but you’ll be okay with those tires unless you’re really trying to squeeze every drop.

Enjoy your car. Pay attention to the driver aids on shifting and the car will teach you to drive for higher mileage. These days I drive everything like my Insight. 😁

- Park

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Another quick question, since I am still waiting for the battery to arrive, the shop to install it, and the dealer to ship the car up to me......

From pictures, I see no emblem on the hood...... (I went back through pictures to see if I had A/C and a radio)

I don’t care about an emblem, bug curious if some came without them in 2000? Carfax shows one owner and no accidents, so I was a bit curious about the emblem or lack of

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Another quick question, since I am still waiting for the battery to arrive, the shop to install it, and the dealer to ship the car up to me......

From pictures, I see no emblem on the hood...... (I went back through pictures to see if I had A/C and a radio)

I don’t care about an emblem, bug curious if some came without them in 2000? Carfax shows one owner and no accidents, so I was a bit curious about the emblem or lack of
I noticed that back when I looked at the car. Best guess is the hood was repainted at some point (roof maybe too, both are commonly faded) and emblem not reinstalled.

·
Super Moderator
1,898 Posts
CarFax only has information that has been reported to them. Not all repairs get reported to them.
If the hood was only painted then there will be a factory VIN sticker on the inside of the hood that matches the car. If the VIN sticker is missing and has an RDOT sticker, the hood was replaced with a factory replacement hood. If there Is a VIN sticker that doesn’t match the door jamb, the hood could have been changed from another Insight.
The fenders should also have matching VIN stickers on the inside edges.
And the front bumper would have one, it’s visible in the center of the bumper cover right behind where the license plate mount bracket attaches. You can lay on the ground and look up to see it, or use a mirror or take a picture with your cell phone, so you don’t have to lay on the ground.
Scott

·
Registered
2000; MT5; no A/C; 394,000 mi.
16 Posts
I was planning on the potenza’s or whatever...... How are those?
Gen-1 MPG readout with stock RE92 tires is 2.3% erroneous. So adjust that lifetime 60.0 MPG down to 58.6.
Correct tire specification is 905 revolutions per mile.
RE92 is 926 revolutions per mile. [look for tire specs at TireRack].
Just look at your true GPS, and compare with speedometer, when the digits change.
Yes, Honda effectively cheated to get a higher EPA MPG, just like American companies.

The RE92's are DANGEROUS, compared to contemporary tire compounds. It is an antiquated tire. You might as well drive on a bias-ply trailer tire to get better MPG. Cheap economy tires from China are safer.

I presently drive on the Verdestein at stock size. Performance in ALL weather conditions is far superior to the RE92, including snow. Sorry, but I don't risk my life for a few MPG.

·
Super Moderator
5,246 Posts
Apples to apples? Please provide more about your comparison. Did you compare NEW RE92s with NEW Verdesteins? Or worn out RE92s with new Verdesteins? Or something else?

After maybe 10 years on RE92s I don't share your opinion at all. They have never caused me a problem. I run them at 50-55 lbs.

Sam

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Battery is scheduled for install in 2 days (Wednesday). Then I wait for the car-hauler’s schedule

·
Registered
209 Posts
Honda effectively cheated to get a higher EPA MPG, just like American companies.
I doubt that. The EPA doesn’t use the car’s own read outs to calculate fuel economy. They put it in a dyno, use special gasoline, and measure both the quantity of gas used and the distance, speed, etc. the car travels on a test cycle.

This Car & Driver article from 2009 describes the process and even mentions a 2G Insight...

That said, your comment about tire sizes affecting the dash display is accurate from the driver’s perspective. In every car I’ve owned (not just Insights) that calculates MPG, if I do my own math I get a lower number than the vehicle readout.

- Park

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I doubt that. The EPA doesn’t use the car’s own read outs to calculate fuel economy. They put it in a dyno, use special gasoline, and measure both the quantity of gas used and the distance, speed, etc. the car travels on a test cycle.

This Car & Driver article from 2009 describes the process and even mentions a 2G Insight...

That said, your comment about tire sizes affecting the dash display is accurate from the driver’s perspective. In every car I’ve owned (not just Insights) that calculates MPG, if I do my own math I get a lower number than the vehicle readout.

- Park
I can personally attest to impact of tire size, as one jeep I have used a programmer to adjust for tire size, and the other I have not. The “little” jeep’s speedometer is off by 7 mph..... no idea how far off the MPG calculations from the computer are, as I don’t drive either jeep enough to bother calculating, but last time I tracked (via fuel app) I’m getting 12 and 16 MPG respectively out of my jeeps...... hence why I don’t commute them!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts