Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Honda Insight LX
129,000 miles
Developed a ticking sound on acceleration.
Not certain as I'm not a car guy , but was guessing misfire related to 8 year old spark plugs.
Bent over and grabbed my ankles to prepare for the $400 dealer charge getting shoved up the rear.
The ticking sound seems to have gone away, I guess it was spark related, but could have all been my imagination.

Here are photos , they seem scorched, if anyone has comments if this is typical or not for 129,000 feel free to chime in.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,576 Posts
Not showing which plugs came out of which cylinder, and which ones are the front or rear plugs, I can say that they definately need changing. 100K is the normal life span of the plugs.

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
Did you only do the spark plugs, or was there other work completed, like an oil change?

Also, I’m curious why you think $400.00 is ramming it to you? What kind of work do you do and what is your hourly rate?

Scott

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They only did the sparkplugs, which on the invoice includes "idle relearn".

Oil is at 70% remaining, so didn't change it. Over past year or 2 I had changed all fluids including CVT.

They charged $30 per plug, $240 total, which seems like a lot even for a dealer. The $126 for labor is I guess reasonable as it took about an hour to get at the plugs.

I spend my time behind a desk, but did changle plugs myself on my other car, a 3 cylinder geo metro.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
List price of the plugs is $28. each, $21. each closer to reality. Some may find then in the $18. range. Any lower than that and they are surely fakes. Fakes are a real problem. One should never buy them from Amazon or Ebay. There is a sticky on the replacement procedure. You have to remove a lot of plastic parts below the windshield to get to the rear ones.

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
The reason I ask about oil change, is you said you heard a ticking sound. My first inclination would have been to check the oil level, especially in a Gen 2, as many of them had oil consumption problems.

Thanks for posting pictures of the old plugs, they do look worn out.

With regard to feeling like you got rammed, people like to complain about the price of having their cars repaired. I’m not upset that you feel this way. However, I’m in the repair business as well and hear the complaints of hourly rates. So I ask people what they do for a living and how much their hour rate is? Not how much per hour they make.

That mechanic at the dealership has to make a wage to live. The stall he uses at the the dealership with a lift, compressed air, lights, liability insurance, etc. has a rent value also. I imagine the stall space to work on your car is probably 4 to 5 times the size of the space your desk in your office takes. The wage at dealership covers the cost of the Service Advisor, the Porter who parks your car and retrieves it, the Service Manager, the mechanic, usually a Shop Forman, the Cahier at the dealership, a waiting room with coffee, the shuttle bus driver, office manager and the the guy who owns the dealership.

Most people who are any type of professional probably have an hourly rate of $100.00 per hour plus. If you work for someone in an office at your desk, there are other expenses. You, your computer, electricity, rent on your space, telephone, internet service, possibly a secretary, insurance and the owner of the company.

I hope everyone makes a good living. But when someone complains about what the cost of repairs are I don’t think it’s right. What other businesses and professions tell you their hourly rate?

Scott

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will check oil level, but that hasn't historically been a problem in my car. The ticking reminded me of my 1980 Chevy Monte Carlo which had noisy lifters that would become quiet after using a heavier oil or an oil thickening additive. No, I don't actually know what lifters are.

The $400 for spark plugs seemed like a lot at the time I was prying it out of my wallet. The labor was reasonable, the plugs seemed expensive although I have since been educated that this takes expensive plugs, and 8 despite being a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The oil consumption issues started with the 2012 Insights. They used low friction piston rings. It was an issue across several Honda vehicles, not just the Insight. By 2014, they seemed to have gone back to more traditional rings.

·
Registered
2012 Insight Base
36 Posts
my 2012 goes thru about 1 quart in 8K miles , so that works great with my oil change cycle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The reason I ask about oil change, is you said you heard a ticking sound. My first inclination would have been to check the oil level, especially in a Gen 2, as many of them had oil consumption problems.

Thanks for posting pictures of the old plugs, they do look worn out.

With regard to feeling like you got rammed, people like to complain about the price of having their cars repaired. I’m not upset that you feel this way. However, I’m in the repair business as well and hear the complaints of hourly rates. So I ask people what they do for a living and how much their hour rate is? Not how much per hour they make.

That mechanic at the dealership has to make a wage to live. The stall he uses at the the dealership with a lift, compressed air, lights, liability insurance, etc. has a rent value also. I imagine the stall space to work on your car is probably 4 to 5 times the size of the space your desk in your office takes. The wage at dealership covers the cost of the Service Advisor, the Porter who parks your car and retrieves it, the Service Manager, the mechanic, usually a Shop Forman, the Cahier at the dealership, a waiting room with coffee, the shuttle bus driver, office manager and the the guy who owns the dealership.

Most people who are any type of professional probably have an hourly rate of $100.00 per hour plus. If you work for someone in an office at your desk, there are other expenses. You, your computer, electricity, rent on your space, telephone, internet service, possibly a secretary, insurance and the owner of the company.

I hope everyone makes a good living. But when someone complains about what the cost of repairs are I don’t think it’s right. What other businesses and professions tell you their hourly rate?

Scott
I don't mind paying labor rates for some work that is easier done in a shop by quality techs, but it really burns me to pay extra for parts when I can source myself for much less. Check out this quote from local Big O for shocks.

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
Shops won’t survive on labor alone.

So I’ll ask you, what is your hourly rate, not how much you make per hour, what do you do for a living? Do you work at a desk or sell a prod

Big O is a nation wide franchise with a large amount of overhead. The quote you show is from one of the most expensive zip codes in the country.

I work in a shop and help run the business. I know how much it is in California to do business and live.

Some shops won’t let you bring your own parts. Some that do add some extra labor to cover the loss of the part profit. I don’t know any that will give you any type of warranty on customer supplied parts, if it wrong or fails right out of the box, you will pay twice for the labor.

Do you take your own hamburger to McDonald’s and ask them to cook it for you?

Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shops won’t survive on labor alone.

So I’ll ask you, what is your hourly rate, not how much you make per hour, what do you do for a living? Do you work at a desk or sell a prod

Big O is a nation wide franchise with a large amount of overhead. The quote you show is from one of the most expensive zip codes in the country.

I work in a shop and help run the business. I know how much it is in California to do business and live.

Some shops won’t let you bring your own parts. Some that do add some extra labor to cover the loss of the part profit. I don’t know any that will give you any type of warranty on customer supplied parts, if it wrong or fails right out of the box, you will pay twice for the labor.

Do you take your own hamburger to McDonald’s and ask them to cook it for you?

Scott
Yes, we all have to make a living, can't argue that. But that includes me, and for me, when the question was, "How to go about replacing 4 shocks", part of my consideration was the cost involved. Wasn't the only only one, and irregardless of whatever I do for a living and how I am compensated, I made choices about how to allocate my family of 5's scarce resources based on our priorities. In this case I felt the parts markup was more than I wanted to pay. So I did procure them myself, and they did install them for labor only, and the over $700 difference for not choosing their offer, and whatever additional benefit that went with it, was put to use by paying for a few weeks of groceries, or a couple weeks of preschool, or put into the kids 529's. My point is they priced themselves out of MY comfort zone.

I appreciate the feedback of a shop manager, so glad I can share mine with you. I replied to your comments just to share MY viewpoint. And by the way I am in not in any way trying to disparage Big O, and specifically this location. They get all of my tire/suspension/brake business that I choose to use them for, and I greatly appreciate their willingness to engage in discussion of alternative options. I know it's not their preference, and I would understand if they said no, but that's part of the discussion, versus take it or leave it. So, in this case, not every case, they got less for the time they took to deliver services to me, that was their choice.

The hamburger analogy is ridiculous; clearly I'd go to In N' Out.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,576 Posts
Please include your location in your Profile, as some G2 Insighters have done.
Thank you.Willie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,576 Posts
I tried editing that a time ago, but the site won't let me. I get that stupid message about editing limit.
AND it took you 10 days to realize that? You slipping natalya.
Stay safe.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Ok, I'll add: please add your location to your profile as ALL G1 Insight owners have done but 2nd gen owners can't seem to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts