Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Well, I took the plunge today and bought a new Insight and am proud to be in your ranks. I really wanted a 5-spd but my dealer only had a CVT. I did get it below MSRP as it had been on the lot since before Christmas! Thanks for answering all my questions up to this point and I'm sure I'll have more down the road. Any words on good practices/habit patterns with a new Insight? I'm planning on keeping a ledger and tracking mpg/etc... I think my timing was pretty much spot-on as reg unleaded is over 3.00 here and climbing! See you guys down the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One question I thought of after posting: Does everyone run Honda 0-W20 or is there better oil out there for this motor? My neighbor swears by Amsoil and tells me I should run that when it's time for the first oil change.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Switching to synthetic AFTER the break in period is a great idea. It will save gas, extend the engine life tremendously, and could even save your engine if you have a loss of oil due to a Neanderthal overtightening the oil plug, or bottoming out on the oil pan as one Insighter did. :shock:

·
Registered
495 Posts
For what it's worth ....

Keep a small clipboard or the like with a form you make up (spreadsheet like) in the car, behind the driver's seat.

Every morning log in the primary MPG and Total Miles on the vehicle ...

And if you haven't already done so. learn to use the Trip "A" and Trip "B" meters. On this end I use Trip "A" for odd number days and Trip "B" for even numbered days. These meters are nifty way to track daily MPG and total miles driven for a given day.

Log the daily Trip meter data on the clipboard sheet as well and at the end of the week copy the data to a spreadsheet you've made up regarding the vehicle.

You might want to learn to keep an eye on and actually use that tachometer as well as the Current Miles per Gallon meter wile driving; more RPM more gas consumption! But you already knew that ... but now you can see it going on as you drive down the road!

I have a CVT and this is the first car that I've owned that had such on-board instrumentation. If you start to use these, I can almost guarantee that your old driving habits will change and if you want to get the most out of your lilttle Insight, these meters are the ones to keep an eye on when driving.

Hope this helps ... and best of luck with that new car!

Fred

1 - 5 of 5 Posts