Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a brand new set of Bridgestone RE92's on my silver car. Terrible! I never realized just how bad they were until broken in. I think I lost 6-8 MPG. Of course they will break-in at some point and be normal, but when?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Going to keep an eye on this. Just bought two new RE92s for my "new" Insight. It already had two other new ones that looked to be recently installed. Sorting through other problems like a bad headlight switch right now, and what may be the O2 sensor (P1164). Car seems to lean burn correctly, but just isn't matching my red one's mileage (72mpg avg for "new" one, 78 mpg avg on older one with three year old RE92s) over the same roads. I was thinking it was the O2 sensor that might be causing this.

Tim

·
Registered
156 Posts
Got a brand new set of Bridgestone RE92's on my silver car. Terrible! I never realized just how bad they were until broken in. I think I lost 6-8 MPG. Of course they will break-in at some point and be normal, but when?
I am surprised by this. Did you air them out the same as your old ones? We're the new ones installed on the fronts or back?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think it takes about 1,000 miles for a tire to properly break in, at least that has been my experience in the past.

·
Super Moderator
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I put a full set on my silver Insight. This is my second set, a set on blue about 6 months ago. That set was horrible also. I'm inclined to agree with Larry. They need a little time, maybe a thou, maybe two.

Pressures the same.

·
6,950 Posts
I haven't noticed this phenomenon... I wonder why. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The effect is definitely real. The question I suppose is how big? The Insight makes it notoriously difficult to peg small MPG changes. I said 6-8MPG, but that is a pretty rough estimate. It might be a bit less.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'll be getting a new set on my car tomorrow or wednesday. I will chime back in after i give them a good run to and from work.

·
Registered
226 Posts
maybe it is as simple as the increase of weight of the new tires.

what did the old tires weigh?
...still have the old tires?

victor

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
The effect is definitely real. The question I suppose is how big? The Insight makes it notoriously difficult to peg small MPG changes. I said 6-8MPG, but that is a pretty rough estimate. It might be a bit less.
Jim,

You're absolutely correct!

I have noticed this "new tire" affect very dramatically on new motorcycle tires, especially on the front.

With the new tire, the steering is noticeably "slower", as it takes more effort to move the bars, and there is much more damping due to the sticky "new" rubber.

After 20 or so hot/cold cycles, the rubber gets noticeably harder and the high damping of the "new" rubber is gone.

After the rubber hardens, there is more of a tendency for the bars to oscillate slightly at 40 mph and decelerating. When new, the tire does not have this trait at all.

Give the tires some time, Jim, and I'll bet you're normal mileage will return.

P.S. This new/old tire stickiness effect is so pronounced on race car tires, they only consider running the tires on their cars with no more than one hot/cold cycle on them!

Jim.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
I had 3 tanks of noticably lower MPG after swapping all four on each of my two Insights. The worse part is the reduced performance in lean-burn. I'd say at somewhere less than 2000 miles you should be where you were before in MPG based on my experience.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would be suspicious of the amount of ethanol they are putting in to "enrich" your gasoline. There has been talk of late about going from 10 to 15%. My own mileage has been lower this summer than last summer. Should be getting in the 70's for my daily commute but have been stuck at 66-67. July should be warmer, so will see what happens. Has anyone contacted Bridgestone to ask about model change for the RE92? Jim

·
Super Moderator
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tires for the baseline comparison were also RE92. I think the change in weight would be insignificant. As others have pointed out, it takes a large change in weight to make much difference.

maybe it is as simple as the increase of weight of the new tires.

what did the old tires weigh?
...still have the old tires?

victor

·
Super Moderator
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jim,

P.S. This new/old tire stickiness effect is so pronounced on race car tires, they only consider running the tires on their cars with no more than one hot/cold cycle on them!

Jim.
This is definitely true. I race a Miata in SCCA IT-A, and though my age and reflexes prevent me from getting a good baseline comparison, I have friends who get everything the tire has to give. In this case the race tire is by Hoosier. The best tire, grip wise, is a new tire on the 3-4th lap of a 2 mile roadcourse. Different rubber entirely, but the effect is real.

I doubt we would ever really be able to nail down the effect fully. Too many drivers, conditions to variedbut I'm convinced it is real. What is the real "new" impact, hard to say.

·
Super Moderator
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll be getting a new set on my car tomorrow or wednesday. I will chime back in after i give them a good run to and from work.
Timmy, you are a good experiment in the making;) See if you can duplicate that 110MPG round trip in your signature line.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Oh i'll give that 110 a run for it's money for sure! haha. Next few days will be in the 90's here in WNY, and my trips to and from work are very consistent around 92-95mpg round trip. If I drop to the high 80's I'll know for sure the tires are the reason. My old tires were down past the wear bars so it was time for a new set. This will be my 1st completely new set on the car, i hope i'm not swearing over the loss of mpgs.

Tim

·
Registered
490 Posts
Anyone finding good prices on new re-92s? I'm way past due and broke but if there was a good buy anywhere I'd have to get some.

·
Super Moderator
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone finding good prices on new re-92s? I'm way past due and broke but if there was a good buy anywhere I'd have to get some.
Here in Richmond, the best prices seem to be at Costco when they have their $40 off sale on Bridgestones - about every two months.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts