Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm learning the ins and outs of my Z, oops I mean my isight. My other car is the Z.

Anyway, I just drove from South Central, Ky to Paintsville, Ky, accross the HORRID Daniel Boone Parkway. UP down UP down UP UP UP Down down down, etc.

I achieved about 57mpg and i was disappointed in myself. I tried not to get run over by coal trucks and the like, and I ran the AC a little bit, maybe 50% of the time.

When I'm driving up the mountains I floor the thing to make the assist goto full, then when on top, let her coast down, charging the batteries back up.

Sometimes I as doing 50 (uphill) somtimes 72 downhill.

Has anyone else been in this area with their insight. The mountains sure do drain the IMA battery. Does anyone have any tips for this type of driving?

JJ

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm learnin'

Hey guys/gals.

I'm learning to drive this lil UFO. Or at least that is what everyone tells me. quote.. "It looks like its from outer space!"

Anyway, I just did a trip and on one segment of it 518.1 miles and 71.9 miles per gallon (US).

I think that's pretty good for around 70 miles an hour.

Oh and I should have my tag this week RED UFO

Ufo standing for Ultimate Fuel Optimizer of course!

JJ

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I just tried a run from Colorado Springs (6300 feet) to Divide (8400 feet) and back through Ute pass, which is about 27 miles each way. It's pretty cool outside, perhaps 50 degrees.

50 MPG on the way up, 0.9 liters/100km on the way down (>150 MPG), 82 MPG average.

Went the speed limit all the way (45 - 60 MPH), shifting down to stay out of assist. There are 7% grades in several spots and I had no trouble keeping up to the speed limit, by using third or second gear. A bit of a problem on the way down because the battery was completely charged so I had to use the brakes in some spots...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just got back from a trip from northern MN to, and all around, CO. When we hit the mountains we had 61.0 MPG at about 1000 miles. Going 80 in the hills of western WY really hurts. Anyway, after driving back and forth between Idaho Springs and Evergreen CO, the mileage went up to 61.8. This also included a drive up Mt. Evans, which gets to 14,200ft and is the highest paved road in the hemisphere. (is that an altitude record for an Insight?) I actually charged the batteries going from 7,000 to 14,000ft. I was in second and going about 30mph. I guess 3rd is too weak and 2nd is too powerful, hence the charge. Anyway, the whole trip up and down threw on about 1.5 mpg. To up the mileage in those sorts of conditions is great, the Insight can handles the mountains well!

PS When I went downhill for 10 miles straight and the instantaneous reading was 150mpg, was it recording 150mpg or was it recording the actual mpg, which may have been 300+?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
brpeterson said:
<snip>

PS When I went downhill for 10 miles straight and the instantaneous reading was 150mpg, was it recording 150mpg or was it recording the actual mpg, which may have been 300+?
If your in fuel cut mode (which you probably were) its infinite MPG :!: If you switch to the L/Km mode you'll see 0L/Km display which equates to infinite MPG. ;)

I've got a similar route here in east Tennessee, up U.S.441 to Newfound Gap in the Great Smoky Mountains Nation Park. Its a steady uphill for 18+ miles and on the uphill the MPG is in the low 40's. The way back down is "free" and the average usually works out to the high 70's to low 80 MPG's.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
james said:
The one I do at 60-65 is about 10 miles of 5-6%. Tried keeping it around 50 on the same stretch, and seem to get worse mpg.
In theory at least, the manual is most efficient at very little throttle (in lean burn) or at wide open throttle (where most engines are most efficient). So perhaps you were in the worst-case middle ground between those two at 50, but wide open at 60-65.

Charlie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts