Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

John Wayland has agreed to do a run of Super ShoeBox subs if we can get six or more firm orders. Counting me, that makes five more.

There are a few important things to note about the Super ShoeBox sub that you will want to consider before signing up for one. First you will need to use a dedicated Class D amp for this sub supplying 300 Watts of clean power (analog amps will stress your Insight's DC-DC system at this power level). Second, you will likely have to chase down all of the rattles caused/exposed by the high SPL coming from the sub. This is a high end sub and will require your understanding that quality components are only as good as the rest of your system.

The Super ShoeBox sub is shown by clicking the link at the top of this page: http://www.geoff.shepherd.com/xwayland

Price for the completed sub is quoted as $450.

If you are ready for a Super ShoeBox sub, please let John Wayland [[email protected]] know about it and drop a line here on the forum.

As an option, if there are not five other people willing to go for the Super ShoeBox, a standard run of ShoeBox subs can be done as well for $300 each.

Kent Edgington

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd definitely be in for the original, if we can get four others. I'm less interested in the Super, but I'd be the fifth on that if needed. I do have a Blaupunkt Tripath amp to do the job on either. Thanks for getting this going - Pat

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't suppose John Wayland will install the subs too? I would be willing to pay for that.

If that's not an option, then does anyone know of a good stereo installer in the San Francisco Bay Area who has experience with Insights? I'm wanting to have an amp, a sub, and some dynomat installed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would not expect John Wayland to be installing anyone's sub for them, even if you were to drive your Insight to Oregon and beg him. :D

From the looks of his plasmaboyracing website, he is spending his free time on a very fast electric car.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
They're not difficult to install.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'd be willing to purchase a shoebox sub too (not the super model). Unfortunately John Wayland's email doesn't seem to be active any more. Does this mean the shoebox sub is gone for good?

:(

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I think his new email is jw 'at" plasmaboyracing "dot" com but don't hold me to that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey Rick,

I noticed from your old posts that you used to have an Infinity Perfect 10 sub in your Insight. How did it compare to the shoebox sub? (Assume that I don't care about losing cargo space.)

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The Infinity was a good sub, no doubt. I ended up selling just the speaker eventually, but I almost ended up keeping it around. I can't necessarily compare it because the box I built was not very good and had leaks no matter how much silicon goop I used. I didn't play either loud enough to even nearly push them. All in all the showbox was my favorite, but it was wounderfully sealed (you can push on the cone and it barely wants to move, it's tight).

All in all, for the level of sound I was going for the shoebox was the way to go because you don't loose any cargo space. The sound of either was probably pretty comporable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is there any way to put a JL 8W7 in the regular shoebox? I believe the 8W7 requires a .66 cu ft enclosure. If the answer is yes, I would definatly sign up for a regular shoebox sub.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts