Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '01 still has the original stereo/cassette in it, and I really want to upgrade to a CD player. Anyone have any problems or suggestions on what is good for the Insight and not too expensive? Ever have any problems with the installation people having problems? I'll have to pay to have it installed since I don't know how.

Thanks!

Andrea :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
When I bought my 2000 Insight a couple of months ago, it had an Alpine CD 9805 unit in the dash. I thought that was the only upgrade, but after Rick Reece sat in the car he told me that I had a good sounding stereo. I don't know what speakers are in the door, but they are replacement and fit behind the stock grills.
The big difference according to Rick was the MBQuart Tweeters installed at the front of the window (in the little black triangle there). I thought the Insight came that way, but he was impressed with the sound.
I have no complaints, but I am not an audiophile either. The CD works great and the stereo picks up well. The only thing that doesn't look factory is the stereo, but it fits well.
You'll probably get a bunch of opinions on this. I think Figgy has the same stereo, but different speakers.
Robert

·
Registered
408 Posts
After reading, the stereo upgrade "how to" from here : http://www.insightcentral.net/owners/mods/index.html , I decided the JVC El Kameleon headunit was perfect for the Insight. I'm very happy with it, unfortunately JVC discontinued the line :cry: . It's actually an easy install and requires the removal of the glovebox with screws and the pannel surrounding the center console with screws/pop clips. If you order from Crutchfield, you should get all the stuff needed to install into the Insight. If not, specify the Civic harness adapter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
installed a jvc stereo and kenwood 2-way speakers, followed directions from insightcentral for removing glove box, then two screws remove 'console' around stereo, bought wiring harness adapters so no wires had to be cut, the whole thing took 20 minutes and cost $180, could've gotten it all cheaper online but I'm impatient

believe me, it makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE, no need for subwoofers or additional speakers, it actually sounds great!

·
Registered
199 Posts
IMHO, Crutchfield rocks.

Their website will help guide you to what units will fit the Insight, and they have an excellent selection. More importantly, their customer service is absolutely top-notch. They'll walk you through the install on the phone if that's what you need.

I've swapped the stereo in 2 Insights now, and it's pretty simple. Go for it!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Awesome, I didn't know the Insight had 4 speakers! I have to find the rear 2 now!

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
They are optional but the cutouts are there under the carpet behind the seats and the speaker wires are there. Rear speakers aren't really necessary for a proper sound stage though. If you need body rattling bass there is a custom builder of sub enclosures that fit under the right rear deck. Simply replacing the OEM door speakers makes a world of difference. I got some Boston Acoustics that fit with no modification.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks!

Satchel, thanks for the info. I do have a question though about the stereo. The link went dead for the "How-To-install Stereo" and I'm wondering if I will require a kit of some sort to install a single DIN stereo. Also the wiring harness for the stereo, I don't want to cut anything during my install.

I'm not going for something crazy, just a new stereo (CD Player with Ipod USB hookup) and some new 6 1/2 front speakers. I might even go a little nuts and put in the rear optional speakers!

Best Buy here I come!!:D

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
Edit: Delete, Satchel said it reading through a days worth of posts and then posting left a duplicate answer, Satchel covered it better than I did.

An additional detail for if you replace the front speakers, make sure you put any plastic weather shielding back where it came from or you'll find water inside the car. Some of the water shielding is very important, search for wet seatbelt if you want a good example, tons of threads.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I just installed a Kenwood KDC-MP345U for $100. Sounds fantastic with new speakers. I bought the adapter so I could just plug into the wiring. That was $18. The installation is easy if you take your time connecting the adapter. The wiring colours are printed on the top of the stock cassette deck. Use the bracket that came with the car but use the screws supplied with the deck. If you want it to be really easy with no soldering of the wires I think you can get a harness that plugs right into the deck and the car. You might have to order it though.

The reason I bought the Kenwood was 1- a good brand, 2- quite cheap, 3 no extra faceplate required to fill the gap (it comes with one) and 4- ipod and USB jacks on the front.

Replacing those speakers is a must but it is very easy as the speaker grill just pops off. You can tell the polarity of the wires by referencing the top of the cassette deck.

With the extra power I had to jamb something at the rim of the plastic speaker cover to keep it from vibrating (I thought I had a bad speaker). Also I put the old speakers into the rear. They just plug in but they are poor so I turned them down. The Honda plug for those stock speakers make it plug and go.

Rick Hall
Caledon Ontario
2000 and 1005 Insights

·
Registered
734 Posts
Where did you get your adapter from for your wiring harness for your radio? Schoshe?

Sounds like you already did what I am planning on doing! Thanks for the info on the radio and the install!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Satchel, thanks for the info. I do have a question though about the stereo. The link went dead for the "How-To-install Stereo" and I'm wondering if I will require a kit of some sort to install a single DIN stereo. Also the wiring harness for the stereo, I don't want to cut anything during my install.

I'm not going for something crazy, just a new stereo (CD Player with Ipod USB hookup) and some new 6 1/2 front speakers. I might even go a little nuts and put in the rear optional speakers!

Best Buy here I come!!:D
Maybe I haven't found it yet, but I also tried the link for How to Install Stereo, with no luck. Is there a live link out there? I wanted to put a Sony head unit and speakers in, nothing fancy. I thought I could buy new mounts to adapt the Sony head unit, but so far have come up empty. Checked Best Buy today, and the salesperson looked it up, and they have nothing at all for mounting it in an Insight.

I can probably make my own, but wanted to buy something already done if possible.

Does anyone know where I can buy the adapter to put a single din radio in a 2001 Insight?

Also, I am going to look for instructions on how to remove the original radio now.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
466 Posts
A few years back I negotiated a great deal on an Alpine head unit from Best Buy - also bought the wiring adapter from them there and it made install simple/straightforward. Didn't take anything else except a screwdriver to get'r done.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Anyone want to dump their factory cassette unit just lying around? Will pay shipping, of course! I have an aftermarket CD player, but need the cassette unit...

Just PM me....

Cheers,
Doc

·
Registered
148 Posts
Of course, PM me with details (applies to anyone interested in selling a dusty stereo from their garage shelf)...

:)

Doc

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Maybe I haven't found it yet, but I also tried the link for How to Install Stereo, with no luck. Is there a live link out there? I wanted to put a Sony head unit and speakers in, nothing fancy. I thought I could buy new mounts to adapt the Sony head unit, but so far have come up empty. Checked Best Buy today, and the salesperson looked it up, and they have nothing at all for mounting it in an Insight.

I can probably make my own, but wanted to buy something already done if possible.

Does anyone know where I can buy the adapter to put a single din radio in a 2001 Insight?

Also, I am going to look for instructions on how to remove the original radio now.

Thanks,
Tim
Years ago I swapped out my god-awful OEM radio for a Parrot Rhythm'N'Blue, which played MP3s, had Bluetooth and a funky front end that sort of resembled the shape of the dash somewhat. I know they've long-since been discontinued, but there are many other single-DIN radios out there now that would work just as well. At the time, there wasn't much choice in an aftermarket radio with Bluetooth:

Taking out the radio is incredibly easy: Drop the glove box door, and you'll see how the center console section is attached (I'm not in front of my car, and I usually can't remember what I had for breakfast)... you can easily puzzle it out, and then the radio is attached by four screws. Remove them and out it comes. :cool:

What may help you, however, is knowing the Insight takes the same wiring harness adapter as for a 2001+ Civic. It was oh-so-easy to match up the Parrot's wires to the adapter's labeled wires. I plugged it in, ran the wire up the A-pillars for the mike so I could place it above the mirror, buttoned everything back up, replaced the dash parts, and it has worked flawlessly ever since... :D

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thank you boogety boogety

I will take a look this weekend at removing the radio, even though I don't have a head unit yet. The speakers are original (and sound like it too) and have to go. I think the new head units with USB and MP3 are pretty cool, even though I don't have anything to go in these ports yet. Heck, I still have some 36 year old 8-track tapes in the basement somewhere. Not an audiophile.

Tim

1 - 20 of 45 Posts