1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
423 Posts
There has been talk of these Vredsteins already and it has been all good. User comments are that they do better in snow, slush and maybe rain. I think that they are longer lasting per the few users on the board. The good thing is that there is a choice now, If it's Dutch tire, and it is, you can be pretty sure it is good in rain. They will be what I will next put on my Insight.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
"The tire also has 1) "extremely low rolling resistance," which qualifies the tire as green under European Union tire labeling requirements"

Better than nothing, but probably a loss compared to re92s

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it looks like it’s got a higher tread wear rating 400 vs 260 for the Bridgestone tire and better all around ratings as far as testing goes than the Bridgestone tire

Looks like a better tire to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
Color me skeptical but there have been many “better tires” that fit over the years

But in every case you loose fuel economy.

If better is wear and handling go for it

If better is fuel economy, it may not be the tire linked

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Where do you see that? Unless they just added it recently, the only measured attributes on tires sold in the USA are Treadwear Traction Temperature.
https://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/400086/vredestein-covers-4-seasons-with-quatrac-5

https://www.vredestein.co.uk/car-suv-van/news/another-win-for-vredestein-quatrac-5-all-season-tyres/
Also mentions lrr as tested in European markets.

Actual rating sticker for another size... I doubt this particular size is an outlier like the Potenzas are.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Where do you see that? Unless they just added it recently, the only measured attributes on tires sold in the USA are Treadwear Traction Temperature.
If you Google "Vredstein Quatrac rolling resistance" you will get a lot of hits. They carriy the European "Green" designation and have "very low rolling resistance." Its superiority in traction and wear make a small MPG hit worthwhile for the safety they provide. YMMV

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
The Insight was fitted with other than RE92 Bridgestones in Europe. I have RE92 on my car and their grip level is too low for Europe. That's why it doesn't wear a E-sign on its sidewall. You'll notice a small hit in mpg but IMHO it's worth the higher grip every other tire offers.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The downside: ~$25 per tire for mount and balance at TireRack approved shop. Hazard warranty is extra. TireRack charges ~$75 per Vredstein, free shipping. That is quite a bit more than the RE92's when they are on sale at Costco. And Costco has lifetime hazard, balancing, rotation and inflation. The RE92's are a better buy at Costco. Is that enough of an incentive to ride on an inferior tire? YMMV

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Its superiority in traction and wear make a small MPG hit worthwhile for the safety they provide. YMMV
Thing is, we don't know how "small" the MPG hit is. People here report a 5-10 MPG drop on some other tires so who's to say these wouldn't be the same.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thing is, we don't know how "small" the MPG hit is. People here report a 5-10 MPG drop on some other tires so who's to say these wouldn't be the same.
The logic eludes me. This is not "some other tire." This tire is rated as LRR in Europe and has the "Green" endorsement. (https://www.vredestein.co.uk/car-suv-van/news/another-win-for-vredestein-quatrac-5-all-season-tyres/) I live in a coastal Oregon community where weather other than rain is not a regular problem. For others on this board it is. I would happily pay a small MPG hit for all weather traction if I needed it. The question boils down to whether MPG or safety is more important to the individual.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I would wonder why isn't it rated LLR here in the USA? For the few people that only have one car, OK, but if it's going to snow, I'll drive something else that day. And if it's much more than 6 inches, it wouldn't matter what tires you had.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This was discussed a couple weeks back in the thread called Best tire. At Jime’s suggestion I went looking for a thread post I remembered. I found under:
Vredestein quatrac lite 165/65 -14 79t m+s review, in March 2018 by
Imacarbonfootprint, that he put the vredesteins on his g1 and drove his well known rout and bettered his mpg by 2 or 3 miles. I’ll bet there are more trials buried in the haystack as well. I am really beginning to wonder about the resistance to trying this and other possibly equally good tires.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Imacarbonfootprint ... put the vredesteins on his g1 and drove his well known rout and bettered his mpg by 2 or 3 miles. I’ll bet there are more trials buried in the haystack as well. I am really beginning to wonder about the resistance to trying this and other possibly equally good tires.
One test is worth a thousand opinions. Thanks!

The downside for me is that Costco does not carry this tire and back it with their famous no BS warranty and service.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hey, we finally have US UTQG info for one of the Vredestein tires, yay... This tire has been popping in and out of availability for about the last 2-3 years over at tires-easy.com, but we only had the Eu rating info, which is as good for fuel economy expectations as a non-comparable LRR tag, but we didn't have any good tread life info...

I haven't tried this tire yet as I never cared about snow traction and I wasn't sure how long they'd last, but it's seems like a good option if I want something for the stock rim size. I've been running with 13" civix vx rims on my daily driver, so options are different there, but I stock rims on my blue CVT, so it might get these if that car ever needs new tires.

This tire, the RE92, and the Dunlop enasave are the only options I know of for a 14" rim on our cars that doesn't result in a heavier than stock setup. I believe that the weight of the tire itself, though not the only factor, is a big contributor to the fuel efficiency impact of the tire choice. The "5-10 mph hit" that people have come to expect from most people's non OEM tire choices, from everything I've read on this forum, is accurate when people just go to a tire shop and get whatever they have in stock that fits.. which is always some 175/65/R14 size tire, often with no weight info. Tires in that size tend to be about 2-4 lbs heavier than stock with most of that set just slightly further out from the center of rotation. Rubber composition aside, that's just going to take more energy to spin. That is not the case with this Vredestein tire, so if there is a MPG hit, it would be way less severe and shouldn't impact acceleration at all.

Sorry if the ramble was long... just a rant, everything's just my opinion,.. I'm interested in reading peoples experiences if they buy these.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts