Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum for tire reccomendations, but didn't see a post specifically discussing tire traction.

I'm in Seattle, and after a brief period of heat and sun, we're back to the usual gray drizzle this week. Roads have been especially slippery, and I'm noticing a lack of traction in my tires. Tread on the original tires (2002 CVT has ~30K miles) looks OK to the inexperienced eye and the Honda dealership, but accelleration from a stop up a hill last night and over railroad tracks this morning left me skidding badly, and dangerously.

I did punch the gas kinda hard both times, so my first solution is obviously to lay off the lead foot. :D But I miss the fantastic Toyo tires I had on my old Buick, which could grip anything.

Does anyone have reccomendations for tires (esp. Toyo brand) with good traction in the rain and a minimal impact on MPG?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Firebringer said:
Does anyone have reccomendations for tires (esp. Toyo brand) with good traction in the rain and a minimal impact on MPG?
The magic tire you want does not exist.
But if you are willing to sacrific your mileage by 10% then there are several ultra high performance summer only tires (including Toyo) that will provide huge improvements in wet and dry grip.

Some of the best availaible for 14" rims are:
195/55R14 Toyo T1R
185/60R14 Yokohama ES100

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Guillermo! I'm certainly realistic enough to know that I can't expect a magic tire. I'm willing to sacrifice some MPG for the added safety and peace-of-mind, but naturally, I'm looking for minimal impact on it.
I'll look into those, 'specially the Toyo! Have you had any experience with either brand on your car?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have owned/driven Insights with all the above tires including the discontinued Toyo T1S.
They are all excellent ultra high performance summer tires that are fanstastic in the rain. In fact these tires grip wet roads as well as the OEM tires do in the dry. I would let price and availability determine which one to buy next because the difference between them is minimal.

·
Registered
338 Posts
man

sure like my tires....

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
My original fit tires are soon to expire. Has anyone had experience with Michelin Energy XM1 tires?

BTW in Australia the OEM's were Bridgestone B391 165/65 R14 79T rather than the Pontenza RE92 P165/65 R14 tires that were fitted in the USA. Does anyone know how the efficiency of B391's compares with the RE92's?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Rob,
How do the new tires feel?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Toyo tires

Guillermo,
PM ed you. These tires are fantastic!

Rob

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found these "moon eye discs" by PM with BrianT at this thread. (There are also other places cited in this forum.) http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... highlight=
He gave me the name of the car dealer he got the car from in LA, so I found them searching with google, talked with the "wheel guy" who referred me to another hub cap, tire and wheel place in LA. I ordered 4 Honda steel wheels and 4hub caps made in stainless steel (there are other places selling aluminum covers, some being "screw on types" where you must drill holes in the lip of your wheel to screw the covers on). e.g. here.

http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/covers.html

These stainless steel ones just pop on and off like regular hub caps but you must use the steel wheels. The steel wheels are exactly the same size as the stock wheels 14 in. 45 mm offset and 4 bolt pattern. The Toyos fit perfectly. (195/55/14)
Today was a test for MPG. Before exploring this site--- 48-50 MPG. After cardboard Mod & inflating OEM Brigestones to 50 PSI, 55-60 MPG.
After Toyos T1 R; Today AM commute (cool day 40 degrees~46.5 MPG)
PM commute home, (warmer temp 55-60 degrees~50+ mpg). I estimate a 10% loss of max MPG. The car handles so much better, worth the extra $$ lost in slightly less MPG.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey Fire. Wonder if you're one of the Insights I've seen around (mine has a roof rack).

Anyway, laying off the gas pedal works. The car's just light.

I'd also suggest stashing your tires. I've just replaced one a third time after cutting it on a pothole.

·
Registered
338 Posts
RobMason said:
The car handles so much better, worth the extra $$ lost in slightly less MPG.
that's about all I gotta say about that.... :badgrin:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jsanford said:
Hey Fire. Wonder if you're one of the Insights I've seen around (mine has a roof rack).
Might be! I've got a silver one with a Totoro (anime character) hanging from the rear view mirror. I generally cruise around the eastside. these days. =D

jsanford said:
I'd also suggest stashing your tires. I've just replaced one a third time after cutting it on a pothole.
What kind are you getting? I talked to Honda, and the Toyo 195 55R14 are both wider from side to side and shorter from edge to rim than they reccomend. They say I need 165 65R14 tires, and I only see those in a few obscure European brands.

·
Registered
338 Posts
hrmmmm

look at my tire size.....losta few (5) mpg but oh well....

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Firebringer said:
I talked to Honda, and the Toyo 195 55R14 are both wider from side to side and shorter from edge to rim than they reccomend. They say I need 165 65R14 tires, and I only see those in a few obscure European brands.
195/55R14 tires have the exact same diameter as 165/65R14 OEM tires. In fact both these sized tires cause the speedomter to read 2% too high.
I have confirmed this by comparing the specs of the tires and by comparing with a GPS.

The auto manufacturer representatives will always recommend replacing the tires with the same sized tires, that's the suggestion that brings them the least liability risk. ;)
The 165/65R14 Bridgestone RE92 OEM tire is the most fuel efficient because it's a LRR tire.
Bridgestone, Nokian and Kumho make tires in 165/65R14 sizes
Wider tires cause an increase in aerodynamic drag and have more rolling resistance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Steel Wheels, Toyo's, stainless racing hubcaps

The Toyos are a great fit, no problems clearing at all.

The steel wheels fit perfectly, (Civic, Integra 14" 4 X 100mm bolt pattern, 45 mm offset.)

1 Problem. The snap-on stainless racing hubcaps will pop off, lost one doing 45 MPH, never found it. It was in the rear, and bent the site where you screw on the rear skirt, was able to bend it back OK.

Considering other options, (aluminum screw on discs, remount Toyos onto stock wheels, use steelies for snow tires or as spares if they will fit in the well.) Anyone ever tried to fit a stock wheel in the spare tire well?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Which did you prefer?

The magic tire you want does not exist.
But if you are willing to sacrific your mileage by 10% then there are several ultra high performance summer only tires (including Toyo) that will provide huge improvements in wet and dry grip.

Some of the best availaible for 14" rims are:
195/55R14 Toyo T1R
185/60R14 Yokohama ES100

Guillermo--
Have you put the Toyo T1R on your Insight? What did you think about the improvement in ride/traction? (I assume from you post, with a 10% decrease in MPG)
Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts