Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just placed the order for a new set of summer tires. After debating back-and-forth a while I finally decided to go all crazy and really do buy them in Germany to be shipped over. I decided on the Goodyear GT3. Yes, you have to go to Europe to buy a tire made by a US manufacturer!

The GT3 was the best scoring tire for rolling resistance in two different tests by ADAC (the German automotive club). It's manufactured using alternative materials, including constarch as filler. And it's generally regarded as one of the best performing tires available in Germany.

I wish I could have seen the face of the guy in the tire store in Berlin, when my dad asked him for tires to ship to USA. (Can you deliver that?) :cool:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi Armin,
What tires (and size) are you driving on now, and what is the size of the new Goodyears?
It will be nice to have even more comparison of different tires.
(My RE92s should be here tomorrow and I'm looking forward to some better mileage.)
Did shipping cost a lot?
Thanks,
Robert

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currently have the OEM Potenzas. Until Monday I was running my winter tires: 145/80R14 Nokian Hakkapeliita 2 on 13" steel Civic rims.

The new GT3s are going to be OEM size 165/65R14. I was considering to go 145/80R13 for the summer, too. But I decided to be conservative and stick with the right size.

btw, the difference in mileage between the Nokians and Bridgestones is quite remarkable. In roughly the same weather my 70 mile round-trip commute went from 72 with Nokian to 79 with Bridgestone. I'm so glad I didn't get a wider winter tire!

Oh, yes shipping is expensive. But then, the tires are cheap. Under the bottom line it's still more than just getting new Potenzas here, but not as much as you think:

GT3 - EUR 48 each, shipping EUR 62 for two in a box -> EUR 79 each total or $102. Compared with $85 for the Potenza, I think is not that bad.

And no stupid M+S compromize that makes it a no-season tire!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks Armin.
The $408 you'll pay is considerable compared to the 224 I'm paying for my Bridgestones (incl shipping). I am very curious about what the mileage difference will be, if any.
The BS RE92s may not be around as long as I have the car, so I must keep in mind other alternatives.
From Rick's and my simple test, we concluded that the weight was a significant factor as well, so if you get a chance, could you weigh them before you mount the new tires?
Keep us posted.
Thanks,
robert

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Do you have a link to the ADAC comparison? Most of the LRR tire tests are a few years old, from when electric cars were still the buzz...

·
Registered
340 Posts
I did a quick search for ADAC on Google and had it translate the page. It wasn't too helpful.
They show the Goodyear with only 2 stars and the Nokian with 3.
I guess it's because the Goodyear's Nass under the Gwichtung is 35%.

I'm probably the only person who finds this funny. :roll:

(I'll go back to work now...I'm doing (or not) inventory for a useless report) :x
Robert

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dougie said:
Do you have a link to the ADAC comparison?
Try this.

It's German. I know the GT3 is fairly low in the overall ranking, but look in the "Rollwiderstand" column. Lower grades are better (just like German highschool). And rolling resistance is what I was interested in.

As far as handling and wet/dry performance goes, I have gotten verbal testimony from people in Germany that drive them and they were all raving about it.

Bob, one advantage that the cornstarch "BioTRED" is supposed to have is lower weight. I read somewhere it's supposed to reduce weight by 100g per tire. But that's not a whole lot. I couldn't find a complete specsheet from Goodyear (Nokian is much better that way!) I can weigh them on my bathroom scale, but I don't think I'll be able to weigh the old RE92's, since I want to have the tire place dispose of them and I don't feel like carting them back home...

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
originalbadbob said:
compared to the 224 I'm paying for my Bridgestones (incl shipping).
WOW, you were much better finding a source for RE92's! Where did you buy them?

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Not sure what shipping costs to CA from where they are, but Tirerack wanted $54 each and Roadway wanted $47.24 each.
I put them on today and the commute mpg was 88.3 about 11mpg better than before. It'll take a number of trips and tanks to see what the overall improvement is, but they are definitely more exciting on the half mile of grooved pavement than the Sumitomos I removed. I'm glad I don't have a lot of that to drive on. I did notice about a 2.1 mile difference in the distance, up to 52.3 from 49.2 (diameter difference) but overall I'm happy.
Robert

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes your correct the cost per tire was cheaper from Roadway, but with shipping Tire Rack was better, at least to me in California. I can't wait to get the mileage up there again.

I now have three sets of rims and tires for the Insight.

1. 14X5.5 Honda HX rims with Kuhmo 710's (for autoxing)
2. 14X5.5 Insight wheels with RE92's for commuting
3. 14X6 Proline with Falken Azenis for summer fun driving

My wife is getting a little concerned. :shock:

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tires being installed

Yesterday I had to move the car a few feet in the driveway so I could mow the grass. As I just rolled it by hand, I noticed something shiny in the tire (still the old, worn-out factory Potenzas): a nail!

I took that as a sign and took my brand-new Goodyear GT3's imported from Germany (they are actually made in France) to the tire-shop this morning and left them there with the Insight to be mounted. After instructing them to watch the torque on the wheel lugnuts, I walked to my office with a slight concern in the back of my head (with they be careful?)...

So tonight for the first drive home with the new tires. Cross your fingers!

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GT3 first experience

Firts, a bit about the shop that installed them: Hogan Tire in Beverly, MA. I had left the car with them, but they didn't disapoint me despite the lack of supervision. They generously filled 42 psi front and 40 rear. One of the rear-wheel spats was not quite attached correctly, but solid enough that it wouldn't have come off. It's kinda difficult to check if the lugnuts were overtorqued, but at least they were tight enough. Service was friendly, and I was charged the reasonable rate for mounting, balancing, disposal and tax of $80 total (not the $110 they could have changed me according to their fee schedule for mounting tires not purchased there).

The immediate impression is a huge improvement in comfort and handling, compared to the worn-down Potenzas. The car rides much smoother, despite the good pressure. I didn't check the pressure until I got home, so after the smooth ride I fully expected it to be around 30. What a surprise!
There is a stretch on 128 where the road is being resurfaced. The old tires made the entire car shake and vibrate enogh to make me worry about the fillings in my teeth. Major difference with the GT3s! Also, on the same surface, the Potenzas used to pull the car this way and that quite viloently. It was difficult to steer straight without being mistaken for a drunk. The GT3s pull through straight, almost allowing me to take my hands off the wheel.

Now the most important question: mileage
No comment, yet. The drive home was so horribly backed up with stop-and-go in two places that I couldn't get any usable data. This mornings commute started with a recal, so I had to use a lot of extra gas to charge the battery... But the 73mpg I got for the trip was consistent with past experience under similar conditions.

Maybe another report in the future...

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I recommend them

stoner said:
I'm interested to hear a report on the GT3's. Let us know!
Stoner,

as you are priviliged to live in a country where they are readily available, I'd say go for it! I'll give you some more data on fuel efficiency in the near future, but so far I can say its a major improvement in comfort and handling with efficiency at least equal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
GT3 tires

I have to make a choice within the next few weeks on 4 OEMs or GT3s. I haven't had any luck finding out if dealers in the UK will ship to the US (California) do you have any more info?

And do you have an update on how these compare to the OEMs??

Thanks - Very Interested!!javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy

cj

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
John,

you caught me! I never lived up to my promise of more results...

Ok, here is the problem: The environment changed significantly right around the time I installed the new tires: temperature went up, forcing me to keep the windows open a lot (more drag) and making recalibrations more frequent. Also, there is big road construction on the highway I commute to work, which also doesn't help efficiency.

Sounds like a lot of excuses. But there you go, it's beyond my control. I have had maybe 3 or 4 morning commutes under ideal conditions with 75 to 78 mpg total (80 to 85 highway). This is in line whith past experience with the OEMs. My personal best for the highway portion on Potenzas was 90mpg.

So the verdict is: much improved handling and ride comfort with no change in mileage.

This isn't exactly what I hoped for (would prefer to keep mediocre handling and low comfort in exchange for better mileage). But it's still not bad!

G

·
0 Posts
I'm running Dunlop SP2000 Sport, I have to admit, as far as mpg goes I have notece little if any difference.

But the car is now much nicer to drive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts