Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed tires (68,000 miles) I am not getting the same mileage that i have before with the old tires. Tires are at 50psi, the dealer put in 32psi, great ride no mileage. Has anyone had a similar experience. e-mail at [email protected]. I'm hoping it is just the wind and weather doing it and not the new tires.
Michael

·
Registered
366 Posts
Are they the same tires (Make, size, etc.)?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If they are not Bridgestone Potenza RE92's, 165/65/14's then you won't get as good of mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have replaced the tires with the same ones, Honda has verified this.... I feel the engine is working too hard. The engine is turning at 2300rpms at 65mph. When the battery kicks in the rpms do not go up or down but remain extremely steady. Honda has had it on the meters and they say the battery is kicking in right on schedule. Bridgestone is not any help. My mileage has dropped from an average of 65mph to 59mph. Same driving conditions same road same cruise control same everything. I have had the wheels balanced twice. I have had the whole car aligned twice and that has not helped at all. HELP! My insight is sucking gas. Is there something wrong...I think so. I just don't have any idea. I am trying to get the tire dealer to ship me in new tires and try to elimate the the tire angle. I am beside myself with frustration. After all...all I did was change tires.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I was lucky last summer. I had a blow out and needed to get a new set of tires as another one was pretty well worn. Fortunately, a Firestone near a large Honda Dealer (Lute Riley in Richardson in Texas) had the tire in stock.

I should have done better than 35,000 miles on the original tires, but did not rotate them enough. That should have gotten me to at least 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Michael said:
.... My mileage has dropped from an average of 65mph to 59mph. Same driving conditions same road same cruise control same everything. I have had the wheels balanced twice. I have had the whole car aligned twice and that has not helped at all. HELP! My insight is sucking gas...
There are so many different variables affecting mileage. My gas mileage takes a dive every time I drive in the rain. It may well be that new tires are stickier than older ones. Just wait for them to break in.

It is kinda cool that you own a car that gets 59mpg and you think it is "sucking gas". There aren't a lot of cars on the road that can perform that well and get that harsh of a critique.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
larger diameter

Michael,

I would start looking at the rolling diameter of the tire. Assuming your old tire had no tread left and you new tire comes with the usual 8mm tread, the diameter changed 16mm, or about 3%. So you would expect to loose 2mpg just for the deviation in the odometer. I'm sure there is some manufacturing tolerance to the size of the tire, too. That could add to this effect.

I think it may also be reasonable to assume that the rubber on the old tire was harder, since it had a lot of time to "outgas" some of the softeners used in the rubber compound. I would think that that can explain some of the extra loss.

We also know that the tires wear unevenly (ousides more than insides). So on a new tire, there should be higher pressure on the outside edges relative to the center of the tread. Or at least more so than on the old tire (since the uneven wear leveled some of that out). Maybe that increases the friction that comes form the continuous deformation of the tire where it hits the road?

The rest, like usual, is attributed to mysterious supernatural forces...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I got new tires back in December, and I too noticed my mpg go down. It has come back a little to the good over time. I have a lead foot though, so my drop was from around an average of 56mpg per tank to around 53mpg per tank, and now I'm back around 54.5mpg per tank of gas. And I did get the exact same tires as replacements.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Michael
When you had the car aligned did they set the toe in at 0.00? That is one reason the car gets good mpg. It's also why it wanders.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Verrrry Interesting

So. Let's review... You changed tires from an old to a new set, and your (up to now) stellar mileage took a slight hickey. And we know that when we buy a new Insight, optimum mileage happens after a few thousand miles. Maybe... just maybe... the "poor-mileage-when new" period has more to do with the tires being too "sticky" or "hard" or new or something than it does with the mechanical powertrain pieces needing to "break in." Michael... Armin... what do you guys think? Maybe we've been looking at this all wrong all along... ?? Intriguing thought...

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
tire break in

Now that word is out, I can't wait to hear of people advertising used tires as "pre-aged super LRR tires!"

Or, even better: buyers of new insights take their tires to a specialty shop to shave off the extra tread!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all your suggestions. But here is the solution to the tire problem...there was not one. By a weird happpening I got hold of some watered down gasoline and THAT was the problem. Mileage is back up to normal 65mph. Thanks for the great suggestions.

Michael

·
Registered
228 Posts
In this post Sudden drop in MPG, lodiee mentions filling up from the same pump every time. This may seem extreme but it could help to avoid problems like this in the future. (Assuming you have a pump/station you can trust to always have quality fuel).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, getting a tank of bad gas does seem to be a small disaster for an Insight. I've had a few, and it sucks driving an unhappy car for 400-500 miles until the tank has been used. Oddly, mine doesn't seem to like premium gas.

However, at least in the US, filling up at the same pump doesn't even necessarily mean that you are getting the same brand of gas every time. The gas companies have some weird rules where they essentially share gas. In other words, you can go into a Shell gas station, and get Chevron gas, or a Mobile station and get Citgo. Combine that with different blends for different times of the year and filling up at the same pump doesn't get you much.

One note about tires -- with my car, it seems to become almost unstable at about 80 mph. It rides ok, but gives the feeling that the least turn will cause the car to go out of control and roll over about 20 times. 80 sounds rediculous, but that's about the average speed of the highways in Atlanta during off peak times, and I don't feel like being run over by the Excursions out there. Is this handling behavior typical? If so, why do they make the top speed 115?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you want a much more stable ride and a huge improvement in comfort in bumps and potholes change your tires to 185/60R14.
Your car will feel so much better at all speeds, it literally transforms the car, the feeling is unbelievable. Fuel consumption seems to increase about 5% to 10% at most assuming you drive the same speed as before. The only reason I notice a 10% increase is because I used to drive in lean burn at about 100-110 km/hr but now I can't. But if I drive at about 80-90 km/hr the difference in fuel consumption is not noticable because I can stay in lean burn often even with wider tires. I'm talking about a 5 speed here. If you have a CVT the difference in fuel consumption will not likely be noticed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts