Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Im a big time commuter (800 miles a week). I travel alone. Ive used old stick shift cars that get 32-40 mpg in the past and Old diesel Mbs for durability. How durable is the insight? I drove a 1985 300sd for almost 400k miles.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
I don't know of any Insight even approaching 200K yet so its yet to be "proven" how far can it go (cost effectively).

So far its been _very_ reliable. The only shocker is the IMA battery pack which has a limited life. It's simply a limit of the NiMH batteries. 150K seems a reasonable expected service life for the batteries. Replacement costs as last reported in this group was $2,200 installed. Driving patterns of mostly highway miles don't "cycle" the batteries as much and will likely make this a low mile number.

With proper maintenance its not unreasonable to expect 300K+ reasonable cost miles from most any Honda.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok

How about regular maintanance? How often are the intervals? oild change tune up timing belt(chain :lol: )

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: ok

Don't see the connection of chain :lol: , but chain :) is correct :D

You've really got to spend some time browsing the site and reading some of the posts. Don't get me wrong, its good that your carefully investigating before purchase but you'll likely spend less time finding what you seek with some searching on your part.
Try the forum search feature :idea: :)

Here's the maintenance schedule link:

http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-ma ... #Schedules

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool!

Well he smilie was mostly because i love my old diesels and the timing chains (not having to replace them every 50k miles or whatever).

Thanks for all the info I will be sure to search the forums quite well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Interesting post, considering that I own both an Insight and a diesel Benz!

As you know, thelemite, I don't think any car can beat a diesel Benz for durability. I've only owned my 300TD for 6 months and the car just continually amazes me.

I bought my Insight used about four months ago because I found a great deal on it. For me, it's the ideal car whenever I'm not hauling around my two dogs and it's the perfect choice for a heavy commuter, like you. It won't be as comfortable for you as a Benz, but the Insight makes up for it in so many ways (technological marvel, money saver, right environmental choice, sporty handling, etc.)

Will it be as durable as a Benz? No. But it will be as durable as a Honda, which I'm finding out is a pretty close second for a modern-day car. The maintenance intervals on the Insight are the same as for any other gas car, with the exception of the timing chain, which actually has a longer replacement interval. I don't think Honda recommends replacing it until after 100k miles, which is well beyond the usual 60k for most cars. Plus, don't forget the 80k mile warranty on the hybrid system, which gives you some extra piece of mind.

Also, because the Insight is so lightweight, it tends to to go easier on some components than most cars. For instance, my car now has 62k miles, and the rear brakes shoes still look almost new (I just inspected them today).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey "thelemite" I believe that "dfiore" has got at least 180K on his Insight now. He could prove to be a good resourse for you about the long term durability of an Insight. I think that he lives in Florida in uses his to work on computers all around his state.

·
Registered
303 Posts
thelemite said:
Hey all, Im a big time commuter (800 miles a week). I travel alone. Ive used old stick shift cars that get 32-40 mpg in the past and Old diesel Mbs for durability. How durable is the insight? I drove a 1985 300sd for almost 400k miles.
If your commute involves downtown city driving the Insight is a great car for that, very maneuverable and easily parked.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I did a quick search for timing chain replacement, it shows

Telltale signs of worn out timing chains are:
Rough idle.
Sluggish performance and poor economy.
Sudden engine performance change including the inability to start the engine.
Intermittent backfire through the intake manifold.
Inconsistent ignition timing or a clattering noise coming from the front of the engine.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityour ... 42702a.htm

On an other site is says:
"there are no recommended chain replacement intervals published"
"timing chains do stretch with age and may cause noise, retarded valve timing and/or ignition timing"

I personnaly feel that 100K miles is about time for replacement

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Yves M. said:
<snip>

I personnaly feel that 100K miles is about time for replacement
Good links and symptoms Yves, thanks :!: :)

Most of the driveability symptoms listed have multiple causes. And only result in cases of a chain in an _advanced_ state of wear. IMO the best indicator will be abnormal noise. Although it's still too early to "see" if some other Insight timing chain pattern failure will present itself first. AFAIK no Insight has had or needed a chain replacement... yet.

I more than suspect your feelings will change once you check the cost of replacement :!: <VBG>

Its unusual for a camshaft chain drive to fail without reasonable warning. But the consequences of failure is usually more catastrophic ($$$) than a timing belt. More damage done to the engine chain housing casting, possible requiring replacement (its gotta be oil tight). I would suspect that well over 200K miles is likely as a service life, but with all things automotive YMMV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts