Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am a new owner of a 2000 Honda Insight 135,000 5-speed. I picked it up for $700 from a guy in the Bronx. He installed a grid charger from Maxx Voltage (cheaper $150 one) but only let it charge for a couple of hours. When I arrived to pick it up it was having issues starting/cranking. After a few more attempts we got it running and I was able to take it for a spin.

Well... The IMA light is ON, and I get no indications that its charging the system. But the car hasn't been used or driven in about 2 years from what he said. Should I just do a "deep" cycle on the battery given that he already installed the grid charger and see what happens from there? I just want to get it in a good driving condition so I can commute back and forth to work, which is about 110 miles each way. Right now I'm averaging 28 MPG with my current car 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. By the way the car is in pretty good condition overall.

I have plenty experience in dealing with cars like changing out CV anxls, wheel bearings, brakes, building motors and such, but I have no idea what to look for with these cars. My background is that I am an electrical engineer so its easy to make sense of these things I just have to understand how they work. I find it easier to have it explained because I can understand that from another persons words rather than "Hondas words"

Any information would be great and thanks for listening!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey, Gunney, welcome aboard. It looks like you got yourself a pretty good deal there. If it were me I would do the three cycles of grid charging. Each with a discharge until the final grid charge. The voltages pf each charge and discharge are posted somewhere on here. If you can't find it email Maxx.

That's a low mileage car. I wonder why the previous owner let it sit for two years? Good luck with it. The folks on here will help you a lot.

·
Linsight Designer
1,778 Posts
Great deal! Welcome! FYI: If the IMA isn't working, then the backup starter should kick in after holding the key in start for a few seconds. Replacing the ground straps (search this forum) is the first troubleshooting step. You should grid charge the pack for much longer than a few hours... read up on this forum on the prescribed cycle. I usually just plug mine in for 24 hours or so (with the battery fan on).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the "insight". I knew it needed to be charged longer, but the guy I bought it off of didn't know a thing about hybrids. I will grid charge is for 3 deep cycles as well as discharge the first 2. Also, I will search those ground straps because I know how important having a good contact is. Thanks for the INFO! Semper FI!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts