Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of searching I found the one for me. Silver, A/C, 5 speed, 19,000 miles. It should be here in a few days. My old Subaru Justy is starting to give out, and with luck the Insight will last as long and run as well, and maybe get a bit better mileage. Anyway, I've been learning a lot from this site; thanks to all for helping a newbie get started with a new car. Here are a couple of things I haven't seen on the site.

Austin Hardware, 800-821-3250 has the southco stainless spat fasteners in bags of 10. The price comes out to about $2.50 per complete unit. Order by Southco PN:
85-47-101-20 for the clip on receptacle and 85-11-460-20 for the oval slotted recess stud. I don't work for them or own stock.
<http://www.austinhardware.com/default.asp?>

West Coast Batteries, 888-379-2555 sold me the Odessey PC680 battery, SAE terminals, and the aluminum hold down for $92.95 shipped. I don't know if this is a red hot deal or not, but it did get everything in one shipment. I think the hold down box is around $40, so the battery seemed reasonably priced. I don't work for them or own stock.

Pep Boys in Wilmington DE is selling a 2005 calender where the proceeds go to MADD. Inside is a coupon for Mobil 1; 2 for 1 for up to three quarts per coupon. They had 0W20 in stock. They didn't seem adverse to me buying several calenders. Price with coupon is about $2.50 per quart. I can't remember seeing this low a price before. The calender does not appear to be a local thing, so it might be worth checking wherever you are. I don't work for them or own stock.

Finally, Jim Holmgren told me he would do another run of the dead pedal if I could come up with 4 others interested in getting one. PM me and if there are enough folks interested I will pass along the word to Jim.

Richard

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congradulations on your purchase.

Maybe a lot better mileage. :wink:

Thanks for the great tips. :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome aboard. I used to own a Justy also. Mine was a 4-door 4wd 5 speed. Loved that car. Sometimes wish I still had it. Would never buy a new Subaru now though, since they are exploiting legal loopholes to make them into SUVs.

You'll love the Insight. Amazing you found a 2000 model with such low miles.

And thx for the Mobil 1 tip. But you didn't say how much the calendar costs. Does that negate the savings on the oil?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The calender is a buck and gets you six quarts for the price of three. I ended up paying $15.97 per six quart case. I bought 6 cases and nobody said a word about one per customer or any other restriction. There were some other coupons in the calender, but the Mobil 1 was the one that really caught my eye.

The Justy has been a great car. I pulled the back seat out and put in a full roll cage after one drive on 95 right after we moved to DE. With the back seat gone and a flat plywood floor in the back I can carry four hay bales in the back (or equivalent volume since hay isn't really my thing). The cage stiffened up the body so it handles a bit better too. A couple of four point harnesses for the front seats finished it off. When I jacked up the tire pressure a year ago (after reading about the effect on Insight mileage right here) I made 42.75 mpg for the last 5000 or so miles (up from 37.75 lifetime before). Sorry, no gauge on the Justy shows the lmgp so you have only my weak math on this:).

Richard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: New (to me) 2000 Insight, and a couple of fairly good de

rmnelson said:
Finally, Jim Holmgren told me he would do another run of the dead pedal if I could come up with 4 others interested in getting one. PM me and if there are enough folks interested I will pass along the word to Jim.

Richard
I would be interested in getting a dead pedal for my Insight.

Pete :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
If another dead pedal run is in the works, I'm interested. Let me know.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would definitly be interested in a Dead Pedal deal. Keep me posted. What kind of cost? Is it an easy install?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just picked up the calendar and some oil. They only let me buy 6 quarts using the coupon (3 purchased plus 3 free). It was still worth the trip. I guess it just depends on who you get at the register. The ringer did not know how to do the coupon, and called the manager to assist. On further thought, maybe I should have just bought some more calendars.

Hunter

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Rmnelson:

___I don’t know if you still own the Justy or are interested in something a bit different but I have something with similar FE that can haul around a lot more then just 4 or so Hay Bales ;)

03 Ranger XLT P/U - 36.8 lmpg in winter temps from 6 - 50 degrees F.

___The price was not bad either. Have you purchased a Ford lately?

___Thanks for the tip on 0W-20. I have seen similar posted at both Fat Wallet and TOVTEC but have never followed though. I think it is about time as I have 4 vehicles that use Mobil1 0W-20 synthetic and 2 mowers that use Mobil1 10W-30 synthetic also.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1p6xfb0m][email protected][/email:1p6xfb0m]

·
Registered
119 Posts
xcel: That's mighty impressive mpg for any conventional pickup. You must have the 4-banger in that Ranger. I used to have an '01 Mazda B3000 4x4 with the 3.0 V6, and it was great. I didn't get mpg like yours, but it wasn't bad for a 4x4 truck (usually around 25 mpg) and responded well to simple mods like synthetic oil, higher psi in tires, free-flow air filter and exhaust, etc.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Skimmer:

___Yes, it’s the I4 (EPA estimates of 24/29). I am going to take it for a max FE run come late spring/early summer when us Chicagoan’s are back to 70 degree + temps. I can bet she is easily worth 45 mpg and > 725 mile range given the (2) 39.x mpg tanks back and forth to work in the 30 and 40 degree temps to date. This I4 based Ranger XLT’s FE is the best kept secret this side of the Manhattan Project ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3tscqz9p][email protected][/email:3tscqz9p]

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
I have the basically same engine (91-I4) in my "sand buggy" with the exception of twin spark plugs and crank fire ignition. 5 years of running in the dunes of "glamis" and it just keeps on running.

I've blown a timing belt at 5000rpm with no damage to the engine. They will run forever with the proper upkeep.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Four (4) People for Dead Pedals....... One more............

By my count, it looks like four of us are interested.

Is there one more out there to get this going?

pete

·
Registered
237 Posts
Pete,

What do these dead pedals look like? What material are they made of? Any idea how much they would cost?

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dead Pedals

They are aluminum, and the ones I have seen have insight cut out of the middle.

They were in the $40 range.

pete

·
Registered
14 Posts
no more worn carpet look, new hightech aluminum look.

now, I just need to order pedals to go with it.

:)

pete

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi Guys,
First off...thanks to Richard for coordinating the effort. My work schedule is absolutely crazy right now (as evidenced by my lack of posts recently)and I really appreciate his legwork.

Details:
The footrests are $40 - including shipping and mounting plugs. For convenience sake I prefer PayPal (to [email protected]), but you can send the payment via check/money order if you prefer. Personal checks are not a problem.

The footrests are brushed stainless steel with the Insight logo laser cut through them. I recommend using a piece of material under the footrest to prevent the Insight logo from getting stained on your carpet. I have pictures of some of the footrest installs on my website's picture gallery:
http://www.littlebluespitfire.com/gallery/albums.php
(If that link doesn't work for you, go to http://www.littlebluespitfire.com and navigate your way through to the Gallery page)

If you are ready to order, or have any questions - please feel free to email me at [email protected] or post to this thread - I'll be watching it from here on out.

Since 5 people have indicated they are interested, I will go ahead and contact the manufacturer on Monday morning. Production time is usually about 2-3 weeks, plus an extra week or so for me to ship them to you.

Thanks!
Jim

1 - 20 of 28 Posts