Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

excited to have somehow stumbled across a free 2001 cvt insight with 176k. despite being free and lacking any records at all it seems to be working great mechanically. suspension reasonably solid, engine running smooth, no major leaks. no engine lights, no IMA lights on the dash. Drove the 2.5 hours home at 70-75 with no problems even going through some hilly terrain.

on the to do list though are definitely a brake job for warped rotors and repair for the rear hatch popper. additionally, the gauge cluster buttons work only intermittently and the S and D buttons on the steering don't seem to change the drive modes (no light on the dash). The engine also has a distinct tick. Got about 45 mpg on the trip which seems like it might be low? no ac was used. (ac also probably not working but can live with that hah!).

to get to my question, I'm wondering what maintenance or repair items would be a good thing to attend to at this stage of its life? hoping to get many miles out of this little beast, already very charmed by it lol

thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Valve adjustment may solve your ticking sound. CVT's don't get as good mileage as the 5 speeds do.

Reactions: stomish

·
Registered
851 Posts
  • CVT fluid replacement - a priority, and ONLY Honda CVT fluid for the Gen1. Accept no substitutes!
  • CVT filters - Many order parts here.
  • Engine oil & filter change - for your tapping, see if 5W30 quiets it down. 5W30 is permitted per the 2000 owner's manual.
  • Verify coolant temperatures are in normal range; burp if not. Avoid burns and have a mechanic do it per Honda's instructions
  • Valve adjustment - super easy DIY job and probably needs it
  • EGR valve - some report WVE 4F1890 as compatible. likely overdue - may help with mileage
  • LAF sensor - try Bosch 15394 for your CVT - $60 Amazon (search on RockAuto to confirm compatibility) - likely overdue too, may help mileage
  • Welcome fellow CVT owner!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
And, please include your Location in your Profile.

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
The first thing is to write using Capital letters at the beginning of a sentence. I’m no English Major, but I do try to communicate to the best of my ability. When I see some one on the forum asking for help and they don’t try to use some type of proper structure, even if I know the answer, I won’t spend my time helping. This also goes for some people who insist on posting in all CAPS.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
^ +1. I usually don't even finish reading posts like this.

Sam

·
Registered
851 Posts
The first thing is to write using Capital letters at the beginning of a sentence
actually, the cool programmer kids never capitalize. :)

again, a hearty welcome to ouir newest member!

@oceanstator, with a name like that, you sound like you do something pretty cool.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
But this is not a program. It is a correspondence with humans. Some of us are old and expect to see proper English. The "cool kids" need to learn to tune their correspondence to their audience. A resume written like this will go straight into the trash can. The same if it is in all caps.

Sam

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
256 Posts
Guessing poster is from Rhode Island, or works with electric motors in the merchant marines.

Rhode Island license plate motto -- The Ocean State.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guessing poster is from Rhode Island, or works with electric motors in the merchant marines.

Rhode Island license plate motto -- The Ocean State.
haha yup! RI it is.

thanks very much for the advice on first things to do. ordering parts now!

next time i'll be sure to attach my resume :p

·
Registered
92 Posts
It will be thrown in the trash.
somewhat harsh way to welcome a new member...

@oceanstator, welcome! There is a tremendous amount of content here on Insight Central, Search is definitely your (and our) friend to reduce repeating questions.

Sean hit all of the things you should change & focus on 1st. You might want to search "judders" as if you have it, you may want to perform the learning procedure before changing the CVT fluid.

CVT's definitely don't get the mpg's a 5MT will, but 5MT's don't have "sport" mode, so enjoy the Insight for what it is. They are quirky and definitely get noticed, except when on the road... ensure you drive defensively. At least here in Texas, all of the lifted pickups see us as speed bumps.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
somewhat harsh way to welcome a new member...
Look. He was asked nicely to use proper sentence structure. He chooses to ignore this. His posts are hard to read.

These college kids think they know everything and that they can do whatever they want. They can (and do), but it is not in their best interest. I have actually received resumes written like this. Guess where they went. Would you want somebody like this representing YOUR company?

Sam

·
Registered
92 Posts
in the real world, I hire & release folks as well, and have every expectation that candidates can communicate in a manner that my business peers and customers will accept. Add to that growing up with a mother who was an English teacher, "mobile-speak" makes my skin crawl.

That said, my comment was towards what I specifically quoted after he had apologised.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Post removed.

If you have an issue you wish to bring up with a specific forum member, consider sending that person a PM/Conversation. I believe I already covered this in the last conversation I sent you.

Bull Dog - InsightCentral Moderator

·
Registered
473 Posts
So, the CVT is a good transmission, but is certainly more expensive to replace, so a fluid change (and filters if you can) would be high up the priority list. Fluid change is very simple.
Agreed as well on the valve adjustment.
I’d also make sure the tires are OK. Not sure if it’s sat or they are old or...? Just want to make sure you are safe!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts