Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:twisted: Hey there, new to this whole thing but i like this huge forum you guys got going on!

Anyhow, the date is set, my 2000 Honda Insight will be cracked open in Golden, Colorado at Turbo Engenering Corp. (TEC) during the week of Nov. 17 to have a total custom turbocharger and all the goodies (BOV, intercooler, timer...) installed in this 1 month ordeal. I also have a great shop down here in CA that will do the exahust system.

Outsight is gonna be featured in Honda Tuning mag. during the months after her oporation. So yes i will have plenty of high res pics to post

I have many other mods already done that i will get into after i hear from you guys...

Oh and PS: the people at TEC expect almost a double in HP!! If you can feel the 5-8 HP decrease when the A/C is on just imagine the power with an extra 70-90 HP!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I hope you are getting a rear sway bar installed to improve the already great handling of the Insight.
And to lower the 1st gear for auto-x racing or just magazine tests, I suggest lightweight 13" rims with small diameter lightweight 175/60R13 R-compound race tires!
This these few mods you should blow away most expensive sports cars in a slalom and auto-x races!

As you might have guessed I race my Insight at Auto-x races all the time.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hopefully TEC can put together a complete turbo kit for the Insight that they can sell.
I know there are other people around here interested in a turbo set up. I'm interested but maybe in 1 or 2 years from now...

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
Outsight
Let me know when you drop off your vehicle for the installation. I would like to meet you there and talk with the installers. Maybe pick up a few points of additional information and give them some warnings. I've got numerous pics that maybe the installers could use.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Unlike G, I'm ready for a Turbo install NOW .... life's to short ! :lol: I'd also like to know when it's gonna be done - I live 10 minutes from Golden ....... Hey Outsight, ya gonna give us an idea of the $$'s invested ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like some of you guys are interested in the kit. It is gonna all be custom fabricated but TEC is willing to get a kit togeather after the Outsight is finished.

The Outsight will be shipped, i wont be with it when it is droped off.

The cost is still wavering, so i have no idea.

The other performance parts will include a new clutch and rims and rubber...i am looking at OZ Rims (featured on the new Lotus Elise).
The sway bar will be important also.

I dont know what to do with the clutch...any ideas?:idea:

Talk soon.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Outsight Said " The cost is still wavering, so i have no idea. " That's scary :shock: Ok, then who ya been in contact with ? Email, Ph # etc ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats not what I meant by that, sorry. I had plans to have TEC to make just the kit and send it to me and have a shop out here in LA, CA install it. However the shop fell through and the Magazine didnt know another one qualified for this job.

Therefor we had to re-evaluate the price for TEC to do everything (installation, fabrication of the manifold....) . They wont know until they receive the car and take a look of what needs to be done.

These guys are very professional and I am working with the owner/ head engineer to come up with a final price. :)

If you want check them out a http://www.turboengineering.com

..Josh..

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
Sounds to me like you have no idea what is involved in puting a turbo on an Insight. It is not a regular vehicle, so the ignition system, fuel system, etc, is totally different. Hope the guys doing the project are understanding of the Insight. I did mine as a privateer, on a low budget, (under $1,000 in parts) and as a challenge. What challenge is there to fork out the bucks and have someone else do the project? I guess the old saying "money buys horsepower" is true. You learn by doing things and you will appreciate the results and the dissapointments will tend to make you appreciate the knowledge you have gained. I'm proud of my modification because it works and I didn't spend an arm and a leg in doing it and I learned a lot along the way. Let me know when you get the Outsight back and maybe we can get a group together to see the results. I'll glady drive to Burbank for a meet and a comparison. Good luck but use caution...................

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fortunately money is not an issue, because of how sponsorships work. This car is the head engineer's annual project...and everything is done to racing specs. What else would you expect on the most recent car that went out last week... a Ferrari F-40?

Luckily I also have other corporate sponsors that pick up part of the tab in turn for a decal on the car.

Unfortunately at the age of 18 in my second year of college (full-time), CEO of my corporation, and being a working actor, I dont have hours on end for such a labor-intensive project as this. However I do try to be as active in the process as possible.

I would love as much creative feedback and helpful hints that you have Willie Williford, it sounds like you had a tough time with your project, approx. how long did it take you, and what parts did you use?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you end up lending your Turbo Insight to several different compact tuner/racer magazines you could start a trend with people buying Insights and modifying the hell out of them...
This could get very interesting...

Mass produced performance goodies for my Insight would be much appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
An 18 year old CEO/Actor with sponsors?

Seems impressive, although it also sounds like a line
right out of the secret life of walter mitty. :wink:

Seriously though, I called TEC and inquired about the
insight modification (costs, time, etc).
She said the modification had not been done yet, but
the details would be posted on their site soon after they
receive the car. No mention on costs...

Willie has already proven that the Turbocharge car is a
possibility, but I think the likelyhood of anyone mass
producing this for the Insight is null.
Keep us posted

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
Outsighter:
You can go to page two of this topic (modifications) and read 7 pages of information on my LITTLE RED ROCKET. Maybe some of the information will be helpful to you or TEC. Keep us posted, as I have my calendar marked for a trip to Colorado after the 14th.

·
Registered
89 Posts
100-135% increase in horsepower on stock pistons and rods?

You'd probably need 12-18 psi of boost in order to accomplish a 100-135% increase in hp. Don't count on the stock pistons and rods to be able to handle such boost. You'll need custom-made ones if you're going to boost that high. Did the guy who told you you'll have an extra 70-90 hp even bother to tell you this? Custom pistons and rods will cost big bucks, not to mention the price of labor for installation. Otherwise don't plan on boosting more than 8 psi if you want your engine to last.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
However many PSI it takes it will be engineered properly. As one of the last posts said all of the stats and mods will be posted at TEC's site @ http://www.turboengineering.com after the project is finished.

I will try to get the major plan from them when we meet up at SEMA in Vegas in early November to give you guys a more technical idea of what exactly is in store for the Outsight.

As I said in my first post I would share the other mods that I have done to the Outsight.
-Pioneer Head Unit DEH-P6400
-Power Acoustic 850W 4-channel Amplifier
-Two 12" JBL 1000W Subwoofers
-4 2-way infinity 6 1/2" Speakers
-System Lit by a 12" hardwired blue light bar
-MOMO Shifter (black leather and chrome)
-Custom drilled clutch pedal
-Blacked out rear windows fading forward to a dark tint in the front

NEXT:
-Turbo by TEC
-Custom Exhaust
-Rims By O.Z. Racing

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Outsight,
How long have you owned your Insight?
Is it your personal daily driver? or one of a dozen project cars your company is playing with?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Twice the horsepower? Hope the drive shafts can take it. The ones on the Insight don't look as beefy as those on my 107HP CRX SI. Hope it works though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts