Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I've read practically every page of this website but haven't been able to join until now! Ever since reading up on the web about the Prius and coming across mentions of "nothing beats the Honda Insight for MPG" in a couple of articles a month or so ago (and after finding out more), I have wanted an Insight! Well, my dream became a reality (as they say) a couple of weeks ago. I am the proud owner of one of the 70 UK insights

Super-tiny pic: http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/3041 ... ae7.th.jpg

Pic for Broadband people: http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/3041/insightae7.jpg

That's the beauty there! Picture taken this afternoon - a bit rainy in Merry olde England! :D

I found out too late that the 2000 doesn't qualify for the road tax exemption - Doh!! But I told myself that to buy a 2001 would almost certainly be much more expensive, so a false economy and not really the best way to mess with Gordon Brown! Hopefully this anomaly will one day be straightened out but I won't hold my breath...

Anyway, I've customised it a little bit and made good use of the double DIN aperture. If anyone is interested I will post pictures of the process I went through. Otherwise, looking forward to as much ecologically sound driving as this futuristic 7 year old will give me!

·
Registered
71 Posts
buffalox said:
I found out too late that the 2000 doesn't qualify for the road tax exemption - Doh!! But I told myself that to buy a 2001 would almost certainly be much more expensive, so a false economy and not really the best way to mess with Gordon Brown!
[mod edit: correct misquote, trailing close quote left off]

Welcome to the forum and congrats on becoming a new owner!
I just returned from a trip to London during which (thankfully) I didn't need to do any driving! Non-Brits probably won't associate Gordon Brown with being Chancellor (our Treasury Secretary) - but every state here has some form of vehicle tax (often several!). If I'm not mistaken, doesn't driving an Insight exempt you from London's week-day car tax?? Small consolation perhaps!

Best of luck! Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi buffalox and welcome to the forum :!: :)

Your not originally from the UK are you :?: ;)

Welcome to the Insight "club". But as a courtesy to our many dial-up members pics are generally discouraged, particularly when their over the size limit. Links are welcome. Your post above has been edited to remove the img function. Please review the forum rules. :)

Sincerely,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about that - thought the limit was 450x450 and a thumbnail would be OK. Have linked the thumbnail and the original picture now!

Originally from Canada - what made you think I wasn't English (other than my good taste in cars and care for the environment obviously). :badgrin: Only joking - the English members posts on here have been invaluable to me so don't take offense! Wonder if there will there be a gathering in the UK this year...

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! To be fair, unless you are up north that has got to be the first proper rain you had in about a month ;)

I organised the Insight meetings in 2005 and 2006 but I currently do not have an Insight (looking for a new-ish one) and it would be a bit strange if I tried to organise a meeting this year. Perhaps one of the other UK owners could try this year.

What did you put in the double-DIN opening?

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's a pretty looking car. I wish mine was that color. But alas, I'll take what I can get. See my sig for my new personal record breaking tankfull.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Buffalox

I am a newbie too, living on the south coast near Brighton. I have a Jan 2001 Insight and like you miss out on tax free motoring by just 2 months. However, I calculate I have saved more than £2,000 in petrol costs in the five years of trouble-free ownership so I am more than pleased. Hope you find your Insight as pleasurable.

You say 70 in the UK. I thought there were initially 200 new models brought in for sale? It looks like dealers are now importing used from Japan so we should see a few more on UK roads in future.

Happy Insighting

·
Registered
171 Posts
I love that color! Congrats.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Congratulations on your new Insight! It is a car that always seems fresh. Always something to learn and certainly beautiful. 2 1/2 years later, sometimes I still find myself standing at a window and admiring its lines. Hope you enjoy your new beauty! Congrats again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats on joining the few! I've had a 2000 model (registered in 2001 :D ) for almost four years and have seen three other Insights in that time, (two looked like regular UK cars & one was a us import). Where did the 70 figure come from?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I always thought that there were around 150-200 of us around in the UK, driving Honda imported Insights at least. I recon that there must be at least 100 imported japanese insights around too.

Any advance?

·
Administrator
12,305 Posts
How Many in UK

Space Panda said:
Any advance?
On 28/12/05 there were 257 Honda Insights registered in the UK. I checked with DVLA, of those 70 are believed to be UK spec and not imports. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts