Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a sort of short list of vehicles I've always liked, and wanted. 1st gen Insight has been on the list. Never had a Honda. I've had several 80s and 90s Toyotas, got an Alltrac/GT4 celica in the garage, Forester XT. I supercharged my 05 Wrangler and I'm restoring an 82 wagoneer and 87 comanche right now.

I'm 30 years old, and not a mechanic by trade, but I welcome learning. Knowledgeable about what I know, ignorant about what I don't. And I like to think I'm fairly competent.

But I have only started truly researching this car today, since I just stumbled on one for sale locally for what I think is a good price.

I feel bad asking since I normally do my homework, but is there anything specific to take note of with a 2006? The IMA light is on, battery is turned off, but sounds like nothing else has been done. I'd like to replace the battery but it's my understanding I should be able to drive the car on just the 12v battery until I gather the parts? The car is about an hour away from home and I can take a spare 12v with me. For that matter, it can sit until I gather the parts. I just want to know if there's anything specific to look for or that I could be caught out by.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Transmission syncros begin to wear out if they haven't been addressed before. Check for a downshift grind from 3rd to 2nd gear. No other significant issues beyond the battery,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the sort of thing I'd be more worried about, parts availability wise. I would imagine it's a small transmission. Easy to rebuild or replacements easily available? Seller says shifts nice.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
There is a mod to the syncros to fix the grinding so it doesn't need any parts but the transmission needs come out and be taken apart. It's suggested to replace the input shaft bearing while you're in there.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I personally like the earlier model years, but a 2006 with 166k is practically a baby. Should be good for many more years of service.

You'll have a few options with the battery. You might revive it with a homemade grid charger (can be as little as $40). You can bypass it, you can replace it, or you can work on a lithium pack - though I would not suggest this route for an Insight rookie. It's a lot more fun to drive with assist regardless.

I have one in my driveway that was towed here, a 2000 MY with near 300k miles, wasn't taken care of and has been in a salt bath for two decades. After cleaning up the engine bay grounds it runs great.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I supercharged my 05 Wrangler and I'm restoring an 82 wagoneer and 87 comanche right now.I'm 30 years old, and not a mechanic by trade, but I welcome learning. Knowledgeable about what I know, ignorant about what I don't. And I like to think I'm fairly competent.
You sound like an ideal Insight owner!

As others have said, a car with 166k miles should be good for years to come. Odds are fair the battery can be revived, and if not they can be replaced or bypassed. Here’s a detailed article I just wrote on building a grid charger and doing my own deep cycle service on my battery...

Transmissions synchros are the other common glitch, but I’ve just learned to double clutch and drive mine as is.

These are great cars for tinkerers. Reliable enough to enjoy and use as a daily, easy to fix when they stumble, and very interesting and unique.

- Park

1 - 8 of 8 Posts