Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a set of Civic VX wheels and a set of Nokian RSi 175/70R13 snows for my Insight. Nice riding, and they do go well in the snow. I'm starting off at 42psi front/40psi rear. Thanks to all on this forum for the excellent ideas. I'm considering changing the summer tires to Nokian NRE 165/65R14 in an effort to improve handling. Has anyone tried this tire?

http://www.nokiantyres.com/passengercars_product_en?product=609314&name=NOKIAN+NRe

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Very Cool, congratulations.

I am jealous of your rims. I look in the paper/web ads here but I am not alone at looking and no one for selling.

These tires look a lot like mine:

I do not think they are Low Rolling Resistance just by the weight of 15 pounds. You will have everything better, except for gas usage. You will loose some MPG if I am not mistaking.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Wow, i'm impressed with the info and photo of the Nokian NRE 165/65R14!
This is a real SUMMER rain tire,
not a tire compromised by being an "all season" tire.
Because it's the same size as the OEM insight tire it should provide mileage close to that of the Insight OEM tires. Another reason is because they claim:

"The tyre’s new tread pattern and tread rubber blend give the tyre up to 15 per cent more mileage than other corresponding tyres."

The few extra pounds per tire will not be felt and could only slightly affect mileage in city driving conditions. A little extra weight does not affect highway mileage at all.

The tread pattern shows that it will be far superior in rain then the Insight tires, and the summer compound will provide far better grip in wet and dry roads. I look forward to hearing your opinions when you buy this tire.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
And when the winter conditions get slippery, I suggest dropping the pressures of your 175/70R13 winter tires to about 34/32 psi. Because these tires have much more air capacity they have a higher load rating (82 instead of 78 ) so they don't need as much air to support the car.
The lower pressure will further improve grip in snow and ice.
Those with 165/65R14 (OEM Insight size) tires should not go below the recommended 38/35 psi tire pressures displayed in the door frame and manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts