Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is just my first post so go easy on me. I have a high mile (117,000) 2001 5sp. The previous owner got 55.2 LMPG and I can count the times I got more than 60mpg on a trip on 3 fingers.

Anyway, I started by trying the cardboard trick, careful driving, and high tire pressure and averaged about 56.4 MPG. Then I simply adjusted the valves. It was pretty easy (compared to other cars I've worked on) and so far every drive since the adjustment has been above 60 mpg. It's far from a scientific test (ie: I've only covered 175 miles since the adjustment)...but it definitely didn't hurt things.

It's got me thinking about what other neglected maintenance issues could help efficiency. (spark plugs, transmission oil, etc.)

-John

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi John and welcome to the forum :!: :)

Interesting. Were your valves excessively noisey :?:

Too loose valves effectively retard valve timing and reduce lift which will ultimately reduce MPG.

But don't make the mistake of too tight :!: A burnt valve would be in your near future. :shock:

HTH! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, Actually, all of the valves felt too tight. I admit that I didn't quite understand the service manual when it said adjust until there is a "slight tension" on the feeler guage. Regardless, I did my best and they are much quieter now. Before, it sounded like 12 valves were ticking. Now it sounds like there is just one (before it warms up).

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Well in your case and by your words your ear is more accurate that your hand. ;) :p

Too tight by "feel" won't allow for the characteristic loose valve "clack". In fact it will eliminate the valve noise completely. Its just most Insighters and those unfamiliar with this Honda sound confuse the pistion percussion noise (fades out completely after warm-up) for too loose valves (stays, even with warm engine). And may fall into the $expensive$ "I didn't know that" catagory by trying to tighten them just a wee bit more.

HTH! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts