Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandson about a month ago picked up a first generation Insight.... he's debating keeping it (likes it, but has to sell either it or a 2007 Prius he has because he needs the cash.)

It's got 235,000 miles and as far as I can tell, although in need of some TLC, particularly maybe on interior cosmetics, is far from being a basket case.

Here's the question I refer to in the subject line:
As I imagine (being only distantly familiar with the Insight) the internal combustion engine should shut down pretty much anytime the car is at a complete stop. His does sometimes and other times idles.
Is that normal or does it suggest something not quite right?
Or is this one of those "that depends" sort of answers? :confused:

One other techi question: It's idling at about 1500 RPM.
That should be lower? Right?
If so, causes? Vacuum leak? Or what else?

Alex

Alex
P.S., I did put a link to his Craigslist ad in Portland Oregon into the Classified ads here.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Engine only shuts off if the HVAC is off completely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.
You wrote "Engine only shuts off if the HVAC is off completely."

I'm sure he didn't have the AC on. It's remotely possible he had the heater on.
(I assume having the heater on would also have the same effect? Right?)

I'll check with him, but for the moment assume he had neither heater nor AC on, and at some of his stoplight stops the gas-engine didn't shutdown?
Would THAT be unusual enough to take notice and ponder? Should it shut off all the time at full stops if neither heater nor AC is on?

Alex

·
Super Moderator
429 Posts
Engine only shuts off if the HVAC is off completely.
This is false.

If the HVAC system is in ECON mode, the car will still autostop. There are a variety of conditions that need to be met before the engine will auto stop.

Here are some of things that can prevent autostop:
HVAC on, but not in ECON mode.
Outside air temperature too cold, or the sensor is unplugged.
Engine coolant temperature too low
High voltage battery state of charge too low.
Throttle position sensor reading above ~10%
Transmission is in first gear or reverse.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
This is false.

If the HVAC system is in ECON mode, the car will still autostop. There are a variety of conditions that need to be met before the engine will auto stop.

Here are some of things that can prevent autostop:
HVAC on, but not in ECON mode.
Outside air temperature too cold, or the sensor is unplugged.
Engine coolant temperature too low
High voltage battery state of charge too low.
Throttle position sensor reading above ~10%
Transmission is in first gear or reverse.
This is true. Also in full AUTO mode, your Insight will not enter auto-stop.

I have kept my Insight's a/c in ECON mode, fan on "2" and 72°f year-round since I bought the car in 2001 (unless my windows are down on the approx. two weeks a year we have temperate weather in North Texas), and only turn the a/c off in cold weather (when I only need the heat). One trick you can use to over-ride the prevention of auto-stop in cold weather (under 45°f or so): As you decelerate to come to a stop, just turn the system OFF by pushing the OFF button. Once the engine auto-stops, simply press the a/c button twice (cycles to ECON and a/c OFF), and the fan button twice: You'll have warm air circulating long enough to keep your cabin warm until the light turns green or the traffic ahead starts to move. I've done this so often over the last 18 years, it's become habitual to me during the winter months...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well,
Turns out that he DID have the heater turned on at the times his Insight's ICE motor wasn't shutting down during full stops.
Now that he knows that's a factor, we'll see it behaves as expected.
Thanks for the detailed info!

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I own 3 Gen2 Priuses (04-09), one Gen1 Prius (03), and two G1 Insights (02 & 05).

Sell the Insight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi S.

Truth is he's short of cash and will probably sell the one that sells first.
And the 2007 Prius he has is a bit on the rough side.

But as an owner of both Priuses and Insights, curious if you care to elaborate a bit on why you'd tell him "Sell the Insight?"

Alex

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I'm operating under the assumption that he prefers to retain a reliable car with more repair resources and options available.

The Insight is an enthusiast's car where someone has either time to tinker or money or both. The Prius is for someone what wants reliable transportation with minimal effort.

We love our insights, but we drive our Priuses.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well,

Turns out that he DID have the heater turned on at the times his Insight's ICE motor wasn't shutting down during full stops.

Now that he knows that's a factor, we'll see it behaves as expected.

Thanks for the detailed info!

I don't think the heater running prevents auto stop.

However, if ambient outdoor temp is below the cutoff, there's no auto stop. If I recall, that's 41°F. If he's running the heater, it's probably below 41° outside. The requirements for auto stop are in the owner's manual.

·
Super Moderator
4,806 Posts
I think Autostop is prevented any time you use the HVAC in AUTO mode, regardless of whether you are trying to heat or cool.

Sam

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m in Seattle, read cold wet snowy hills-mountains daily driving. I learned to tap the heater off button to get the engine to stop under 20mph when the engine is warmed. It cools down quickly so if the engine isn’t warm enough it won’t auto-stop. Just plan ahead coming to stops, tap off, and the fan button to restart when rolling again.

I chose the insight as around this cold wet hilly mountainous area I still get 57 mpg in town, and the 5sp stick as I want a hybrid with manual shifting. It reminds me of my 914 2.0L Special Edition Porsche having a nimble balanced sports car again. At 6000rpm engine and motor all out, I can still surprise most people off the line and in corners, if I’m not in my usual mpg mode.

I like letting my mind and foot know when to let up or press down, hand shift up or down, to maximise mpg or acceleration. I also like the brake pedal switch override button I added to regenerate the battery when I say so, and the added clutch pedal switch button to turn the electric motor off from recharge or boosting when I want, for manual control of the electric and gas engine for best mpg.

I’ve done far less maintenance than I ever did on my 1966 VW 1300 bug and it’s easier to adjust the valves and needed less often on the Insight.

My partner (who was not willing to live without a car) wants an automatic. A 4 door 4 seat Prius will be handy when guests are in town.

With just the two of us, and a few bags of groceries or laundromat and groceries day, the Insight is perfect. It has more cargo space than the 914, almost as fun to drive, and twice the 28mpg of the long lost bug (81mpg best 250 mile highway run).

I’m sure whichever car he chooses to keep he’ll enjoy. Both have their pluses, but for me if I’m not shifting or tasking the engine/motor as I want, I’d rather buy another Brompton folding bicycle, a metro-bus-lightrail-ferry (Orca) pass, an Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard (to accrue free long haul points) and spend another 28 years purposefully not owning a car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts