Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

Glad to be here, and thanks for your patience while I figure out this website! I just got an '04 CVT Insight last weekend (silver), and have a few questions for y'all:

1. Any recommendations for a good mechanic/dealer in the North or East SFBay? I'm a little leery after reading some of the posts here about people's experiences, even with dealer servicing, and I'm not a DIY'er when it comes to cars.

2. I'm getting that "whine" when accelerating and decelerating. It's quite a bit louder when stepping on the gas. I've found some posts here mentioning it, but what I'm not clear about is whether it's normal for the CVT or whether only a few people have experienced this, and whether it's a problem.

3. While shopping around for insurance, I found collision coverage to be incredibly expensive--in one case, nearly doubling my premium, even with a large deductible! Is it the car, or is it me? Any suggestions?

4. Any recommendations for a good, non-marring adhesive to reapply the HOV stickers? They're starting to peel off.

Thanks for any and all help! I love my new 1,850lb. baby, and would appreciate any advice on proper care and feeding.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi dib and welcome to the forum :!: :)

1) 95+% of the maintenance your Insight will need is not hybrid specific. Any competent mechanic will be able to do the job(s) for you. But that's the "key". Shop until you find one :!:

The 3 most common "mistakes" are

1) Too low tire pressure. For the best compromise of MPG and safety try the maximum rating on the sidewall (OEM tires are 44psi). Also other tires have been tested and show a 10%+ MPG loss with a smoother ride. Its your car and choice :!: :)
2) Incorrectly reattaching the rear wheel skirts. ($200 :oops: )
3) Overtightening the drain plug and or not using a new crush washer on each and every oil change ($500++ :oops: ). I use a Fumoto drain valve about $30 +-.

Could be CVT related. Some relatively "small" amount of whine is normal. But if you don't know when the fluid was changed last if wouldn't hurt to have it done. Use ONLY Genuine Honda CVT transmission fluid. If its been more than 50K miles since its last change then 3 fluid changes back-to-back will maximize the benefit (no need to drive in between just rev her up on the lift). There are several not too old threads in the Problems & Troubleshooting forum on CVT noises and solutions / results. I'd check those threads.

Insurance rates vary from state to state and also widely by company. I'd do some shopping :!: (Seems the insurance companies like to loose old customers and "make" you change every few years. :| ) From other similar past questions and in other states the Insight is no more expensive to insure than other cars.

No HOV lanes here in East TN so I can't help you there. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Service for Insight

dib,
For about 1 & 1/2 yrs, I have used Honda of Marin. They seem to service enough Insights that they 'seem' to know what they are doing, and I have been happy so far. They often have little parts on the shelf, e.g. I needed a retainer clip for a side skirt (I broke it trying to pry it open to fit on the car properly) and they had them on the shelf. Many items are obtained in 2 days. If you are leary of all Honda dealerships, I haven't used any private garages. Someone here mentioned a garage in Berkeley , http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... t=berkeley , but I am unfamiliar with it. Just to be safe though I remove my skirts and replace them myself before and after service. Parts are cheaper ordering them from places mentioned in this forum.
My 2 CVT's both have a noticeable whine which I attribute to the transmission and have not had any problems with either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts