Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(OK, first of all, I admit I made a spreadsheet to keep track of actual expenses/mileage etc. for my 2010 Insight. And yeah, I get teased for it.)

So here is my mileage experience so far:

Initially 44.75 all hwy miles driving it home 238 miles in February (Ohio to Indiana). I was 'babying it' and my wife just shook her head at my 60 mph average. (she was in a separate van and MAYBE beat me home by 5 minutes). Anyway, MPG then hung around 50 for several weeks (incrementally better each week, about 1200 miles total) while I was trying to figure out how to get the 'efficiency' bar closer to the '75' mark (rather than 50). Last week on hwy driving (around 60mph ave.) I got 52.9 (on 294 miles). But since that route to work adds about 5 miles each way on a 30 mile travel, it really doesn't save me any time, so I decided this week to cut through Indianapolis, timing lights and trying to keep mph at around 40. Result: not only did I save 50 miles of driving for the week, but my mpg went up dramatically to 58.5 (on 238 miles driven) ! And summer is not even here yet!

I was under the impression that the Insight would do better on hwy since it is rated better (3 mpg difference) but if you can time your lights and keep a fairly steady speed, I guess that's not the case. The key appears to be 'babying' it and getting 'light' on the pedal where possible so as to go from the '50' to around the '70' on the bar. So 40 mph is a pretty sweet spot for my driving! Anyway, I felt compelled to brag as I didn't expect too attain close to that mpg until summer! What a game. :)

[only modifications are inflating the tires to 40, and blocking most of the grill with the foam pipe wrap (and I must say I think the smooth pipe wrap looks sharp tucked into the grill !)

Charlie

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yeah, it takes some getting use to. Took me about 3 months. Basically the drive train isnt its efficient under a continuous draw, so you need to give it rest periods like pulse n glide. I can do 80 mph and almost 50 mpg by PNG my drive style.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've still not got the hang of the pulse and glide. Basically, what I do now is go just a little past the speed I want to be at (only maybe 3 or 4 mph over), then ever so slightly let off the pedal till it goes to 100, then ever so slightly back on to (hopefully) where it hits around 70 to 75. Sometimes it takes me two or three attempts. It's seems the easiest way to get it into 'lean'. It generally will stay at speed there even on a slight grade unless I change pressure on the gas. I've tried going 10 mph past the speed I want and then letting it glide at 100 but it slows down way too fast and I think the above does better for me. Anyway, right now, that's the best I can do. It is quite the game for me at this point. Eventually, I'm sure I will get bored with it all, but they don't call me "Cheap Charlie" for nothin'. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts