Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from test-driving my first Insight. A silver '01 87,000 miles. I have a couple of quick questions. I apologize in advance if these have been ask before or beat to death and I promise that if I get the priveledge of becoming a regular I will do better searches.

1) When we first started the car, I noticed a moderate amount of rattling under the hood...sounds like piston slap, rocker arms (on older cars), or just general loose and rattling engine internals. This went away as the car warmed up, but it struck me as very un-Honda like. Is this just a result of light weight oil and energy saving features of the engine, or something to be concerned about with the odo ticking at the 90K mark.

2) As I have read, when lightly braking, the IMA is supposed to turn into a generator and help recharge the battery. After several light brakings I never noticed the charge indicator light up. It did come on a couple of times on the freeway when the car was still in gear and I let up quickly on the throttle for merging traffic so I know the gauge is working, the battery was also showing about 90% full.

3) The single key that the dealer had didn't seem to fit the key for the hatch, the only way to get it open was to unlock the doors and pop the hatch button. We never could find an internal release. Is there a second key for the hatch? My CRX only has one for the whole car, I thought that was fairly typical.

I guess that is it for now, but wish me luck, I may be off tomorow to look at a low mile cream-puff.

Thanks,

Corey

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
In reverse order: There is no "hatch" key. The black key will open all doors and the hatch and the glove, and start the car. The Insight has electronic keys so a non electronic copy of the black key will do everything except start the car. There is however a "valet key" that does not open the glove or hatch, but it will start the car. It is gray instead of black. So I bet you were driving with that key.

If you have the correct black key that should open the hatch, and it does not, try turning harder and it should mechanically open the hatch latch. http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/enhatch.html

Be sure you're in gear when you try to regen-brake, and that you're not stalling the engine (below approx 1000 rpm). More info:
http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclope ... aking.html

Rattling. Hm. No quick answer here. My Insight (purchased with 47 miles, now at 70k+ with no problems) has always made a slight clicking noise with each piston fire when cold. Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the lightning quick response. I think the key was gray, so that was probably the valet key. Also, based on your description I think it was driver error on the regen-braking...just force of habbit to kick the car into neutral, coast up the off-ramp and lightly brake as needed, but of course with the car in neutral, there won't be any regen braking. (Like I said, I'm new at this...just now remembering that the IMA motor is on the flywheel side of the engine, not the tranny side)

Still don't know about the knocking...I hope to testdrive the other car soon, that will be a good comparison. I would stop way short of calling the sound "like a diesel", it was a very muted form of that same type of "clickety-clackety" sound, though. Definitely noticeable under acceleration until warm.

We will see!

Corey

·
Registered
652 Posts
Corey,
The noise you heard could be the valves. If they make noise then they may need adjusting (around 100.00) and at 87K miles its getting close to time for them to be expected (100K if I recall correctly). Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
700 Posts
Second RR: that's valve noise, and should be able to adjust most of it away.... Ask them to get the valve adjustment done and see if it helps. It will probably still have a little noise, but should be better.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I bought my 2001 with 45,000 miles about one month ago and when the engine was cold, the valve noise was horrible! The previous oil change had been done by Firestone and I think they put 10W-30 in. I don't know if that was making the problem worse

The local Honda dealer adjusted the valves ($120) and changed the oil (don't ask). The noise is much better and virtually gone once the car warms up but I think I'll do it again myself when the Service Manual arrives from Helm.

Also - two questions:

How does one update one's profile?

How do you add the cool little picture of the correctly colored Insight to the author column?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I answered my own question - sorry for posting it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey another Richmond Insight driver! I'll be looking for you on the roads... I've got a silver late 2001 CVT that I've been driving since Jan 2002. Hope you enjoy your car as much as I have! Which dealer did you take the car in to? I've had decent service over at West Broad Honda (all I've had done is 1 oil change at 7,500 miles and I'm due for my 15,000 change now).

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
JTMCO said:
I bought my 2001 with 45,000 miles about one month ago and when the engine was cold, the valve noise was horrible!

<snip>

The noise is much better and virtually gone once the car warms up but I think I'll do it again myself when the Service Manual arrives from Helm.

<snip>
Be careful and don't confuse a loose valve for the _normal_ piston cold "rattle". The latter noise always fades out on warm-up. Trying to "eliminate" _this_ noise by making the valve adjustment "tighter" will likely cause a burnt valve.

See the thread:

Ticking Noise From Engine
Oct 03
in Problems and troubleshooting

and

How do I measure the valve clearance?
Oct 03
in Modifications and technical issues

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Thanks Insightful - good info. It might be piston rattle.

Lolaophidia - sent you a pm.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts