Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search but did not locate any information. Does it help with MPG or battery life to drive with the radio off?

·
Registered
75 Posts
The scientific answer is "yes". Every single drop of electricity you use in the car decreases your overall mpg. By using the radio, you're drawing amp-hours out of the 12V battery, which gets charged by the DC-DC converter, which gets energized by the main 144V battery pack, which gets charged by the 10kW electric engine, which gets energized by the ICE, which is powered by gasoline.

The practical answer is "no". The amount of energy required to power the Honda-installed radio is trivial. The difference in fuel economy would get lost-in-the-noise of other much more contributing factors (weather conditions, tire pressure, driving habits, etc).

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Even running an amplified aftermarket system has a negligible effect on mileage. Use your instantaneous mileage gauge as an indicator of what effects mileage and what doesn't.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Driving with the radio off can improve MPG measurably because it allows you to concentrate on driving economically........

·
Registered
495 Posts
red1dr said:
Driving with the radio off can improve MPG measurably because it allows you to concentrate on driving economically........
I think you're right about that

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I can argue that mileage can be affected more by the type of music the driver is listening, then the fact whether the radio is on or off. :lol:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a couple of 1+ mile FAS coasts to work. With the headlights on and radio with 150 watt amp, the Optima Yellow Top starts at 12.5v and drops .1v every 8 to 10 seconds. Lights on and no stereo/amp it drops .1v every 24 seconds. Yes, stereo with amp does pull considerably.

·
Registered
702 Posts
once, while sitting at a light with my foot on the brake, i tapped my foot to the music so much, my master cylinder lost pressure and i went out of auto stop :lol:

now i tap my left foot when its not on the clutch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts