Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
I remember when Scotty first posted this. It is impressive and it looks better than the Fumoto. But, I already have the Fumoto, I have a belly panel so it will not get hit by rocks and a plastic line on the nipple and I am in business. Were I starting now I would get this one. It looks great. Thanks for posting this.

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
Scotty is entertaining. I noticed that the faster he talks, the more his arms and hands flap. I expect him to "take off" one of these days.

My Fumoto valve has worked right for over 400K miles, I think I'll stay with that.

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts
+1. I prefer the Fumoto. Why have an extra part that you have to track down? I've never heard of the valve being accidently opened on a Fumoto. Has anybody? The threads on the new one also look shorter. No, thanks.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts
Since when did removing a regular oil drain nut become such a hassle lmao
It's not a hassle if you do it yourself, and if you're careful with the torque. Many $350 oil pans have been ruined by monkeys at oil change places. I really like the idea that I will never have to touch those expensive threads again. Also, it's a lot less messy!

Sam

·
Registered
130 Posts
Solid point. I have heard these oil pans strip out rather easy
Did Rainsux jinx me or did I jinx myself lmao! (ps: I stripped it out myself)

I think I could get away with installing a fumoto oil valve with maybe red loctite using very little torque. just leaving it snug i guess... thoughts? Where's the best place to get the valve?

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
130 Posts
How come it looks like most people recommend the Fumoto F106N? That's the extended nipple version.
Wouldnt the regular F106 be better since it doesn't have a nipple, hence nothing to snag on and rip the valve off?

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
A nipple isn't going to snag on any thing, unless you are wearing dentures. Seriously, the drain is in a horizontal plane, so nothing is hanging down to get ruptured or snag on anything. The extended nipple is in case you want to add a drain hose. .

·
Registered
130 Posts
A nipple isn't going to snag on any thing, unless you are wearing dentures. Seriously, the drain is in a horizontal plane, so nothing is hanging down to get ruptured or snag on anything. The extended nipple is in case you want to add a drain hose. .

oh haha I see what you mean. I just took another look at it. Thanks. Do you think I'll have enough threads left to use the fumoto valve? I sure hope the red loctite works

·
Registered
62 Posts
that Scotty guy is really entertaining

I too am rather in love with fumoto, and will stick with it. if fumoto's never existed, I would probably give this one a try

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
DaBossk:
You will be removing the spacer plate on the pan when installing the Fumoto, so there may be a few threads still usable as it will screw in further than the std. drain plug..

·
Registered
130 Posts
DaBossk:
You will be removing the spacer plate on the pan when installing the Fumoto, so there may be a few threads still usable as it will screw in further than the std. drain plug..

Dang it. I had no idea I had to do that. My fumoto has already shipped. Do you think the oil pan is in the right spot and is the right design of oil pan to get a helicoil or something similar to save the threads?

I'm running a rubber oil plug right now, the plan is to just take it to a mechanic for my next oil change and have him heli coil it, then install the fumoto...

Why does that spacer plate have to be removed anyways?

edit... I dont want to tap to a size bigger becuase then I'd have to return and buy another fumoto

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts
Removing the spacer gives you a couple of more threads. It's only one bolt. Just do it and do a trial fit with the Fumoto. If it catches at all (it will) then do your threadblocker thing. Done.

Sam

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
If ALL your threads are gone, have the mechanic install an "insert", not a helicoil.

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
The proper insert to be used is a,”Timesert” brand. IIRC it is a 14x1.5. We use them all the time and restore the threads on Insight oil pans, we have the kit in stock at the shop. When I install the Fumoto valve I use a little Honda bond at the base of the threads.
Also, do take off the little spacer as others have mentioned.

HTH,
Scott

1 - 20 of 35 Posts