Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
Do you see a mileage drop at night? Is it because of the alternator working harder to run the lights? Or is it just me? It's been a little colder in the mornings than coming home at night.
I tried to do a search, but was not very successful.
Thanks,
Robert
2000 5 spd 32,000 miles
Sumitomo tires
50 mile commute each way.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's a combination of things. First, the lights will force the IMA to give more of a "hidden charge" than normal. Also, there are usually less people on the roads at night so you get less draft from other cars.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Temperatures at night are lower also, this can have some effect that I've noticed at times. If you were really concerned about it you could shed 40 watts of 12 volt draw by dropping about $300 on a real HID kit. Ohh yeah, you'd have more light too.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There is no alternator on an Insight. The only belt driven accessory is the compressor for the optional A/C. The additional load of lights at night should be marginal. I have found the biggest MPG killer is cold temps. I drop 10-15% easily during winters here in CT.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,
I started paying more attention to the terrain on my commute and it seems that the main difference is that one direction I have some very long grades and that is probably making the difference. I get to go down them the other direction. I have noticed in posts that many of you state how quickly your car accelerates down hill. I think that mine is pretty lame in that department. I do have the Sumitomo tires (48psi), which may be the difference. They came on the car and look new, so I'll be keeping them for quite some time.
If I travel 55, and get to 49 on some of the grades and get as high as 65 going down hill, really concentrating, I'm able to average 70-71 on my commute. That was my goal, but now I'm finding that I want to see 75. I have the preheater hose pointing at the cat, and that has helped, but I guess I will bump the tire pressures up a couple of lbs and make a better warm air system.
Thanks for your insight (har har) on this.
robert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts