Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"But Honda’s Takemoto said no American consumer has yet to pay for a battery replacement on Honda’s oldest hybrid, the Insight. Some Insights have traveled 200,000 miles now, he said, and all batteries that have been replaced have been covered by warranty."

Source
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9338611/page/2/

Is this true?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I think a few members in this forum who have had to pay, at least partially, for their replacement battery and battery management sytems.

One member of the Honda yahoo group, (username: Ferguson Foont) is another person that comes to mind. He was originally quoted something like $8,200 to have the battery replaced, but later the price was reduced to $2,600 as a goodwill gesture from Honda.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
ericbecky said:
He was originally quoted something like $8,200 to have the battery replaced, but later the price was reduced to $2,600 as a goodwill gesture from Honda.
The battery pack wasn't even $8,200 when the Insight first came out! It was more like $3,000.

·
Registered
408 Posts
On a similar question, how much does Honda now charge to replace the battery (and all the stuff that goes with it)?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thanks for the link. If my battery ever fails I will take the article with me to the dealer. I also believe those that have had their battery replaced said the new batteries were actually refurbished packs. I wonder if they are doing the same thing as members on this board have done (replacing bad cells). Have fun, Rick

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Does anybody have a copy of the Honda Executive that made the comment that "no American has had to pay for a battery replacement"

I can't find it. I tried the link above, but it's talking about something different.

Has any body paid for a replacement yet? if so, how much.

We need to get this information so that when we need our batteries replaced all the information would be easy to get.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ours has been / is being replaced right now...under warranty. Our genius dealer put the battery in but forgot to install the BCM and MCM with it. Those go in next weekend. I believe our service adviser said it would have been about $5k for the parts. That incudes all three parts, not including labor. If you have a newer Insight, only the battery has to be replaced. I think that's around $2500.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had to pay. But I bought it at some hole in the wall used car dealership (Mexico Auto Sales) with 90,000+ miles. I paid $8000 and the battery/computer gave out on the drive home. We fought the dealership and paid for half ($2000) the cost.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: no American consumer has yet to pay for battery replace

Kevin Dougherty said:
"But Honda’s Takemoto said no American consumer has yet to pay for a battery replacement on Honda’s oldest hybrid, the Insight. Some Insights have traveled 200,000 miles now, he said, and all batteries that have been replaced have been covered by warranty."

Source
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9338611/page/2/

Is this true?
I wonder, how many (percentage wise) of the Insight fleet that's out there, how many batteries have had to be replaced? At the moment I'm thinking of the gross inconvenience factor involved.

Fred

1 - 11 of 11 Posts