Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 insight (7500 miles, bought new) didn't enter "auto stop" at all today. This has only happened a few times in the winter here in Massachusetts, but never at any other time. The IMA SoC is fine and full most of the time. In fact, on a short 30 mile trip today it averaged between 78-81.8 mpg. The other day it got 91.6 mpg on a 130 mile trip. The engine, interior climate, and outside temps were neither too hot nor cold. I was not in stop & go traffic at all and I was going about 6 mph before braking and stopping completely.

I've read somewhere on the forum that the problem might be the "brake booster reverve vacuum" or the "battery module"?? Also since it's not entering auto stop when idling it seems to be rougher and vibrating more. I can hear it and feel it sitting in the driver's seat, but then again I'm not used to the car making any noise because it usually is in auto stop. My husband said it might need a tune up and spark plugs. Neither of us know how to fix cars and usually bring it back to the dealer where we purchased it from. I thought it would be helpful to ask the experts here and to gather some possible ideas before I take it in to the local Honda dealer ( Boch Honda) and they start ripping the car apart searching for the problem.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Murasaki

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Another common source is the outside ambient temperature sensor for the climate control system. It somehow gets bumped and or disconnected (behind front bumper in middle, visible with hood open).

Apparently a fault in this system defaults to assumung full auto and disables auto stop. Although I don't remember if the effect remains with the climate system off.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
murasaki fractured her topic by replying in a seperate thread:
(since deleted and moved here)
(but since hubby punched one of her buttons we'll go easy on her :p )

murasaki said:
Thanks Insightful Trekker & Jbrasure,

My auto stop problem was because it was not in "economy mode"! I feel like such an idiot. Apparently my husband had fiddled with my button settings when he took it in for its oil change. He's promised to not push anymore of my buttons!!

Anyway as you guys suggested I checked my 12 volt ( with just a radio shack battery tester) and it registered only 12 volts. I thought it should be around 12.5 to 12.7. Is 12 volts low for 2003? I called the Honda dealer and they said it was fine but they'd check it for me if I'd like them to because those battery testers aren't always reliable. The car has never experienced any stalling. I don't know if I should just have them check it to be safe.

Again, thanks for your help.

Murasaki

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have noticed that my auto stop has stopped working in recent weeks. Have attributed it to cooler temperatures, however one of my other gen 1 Insights has fully functional auto stop. A weak 12 V battery? How do you check for this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
cool autostop

My 04 only autostops on very cool mornings and nights. I live in Jamaica so it is warm most of the time and now that is it rainy and much cooler it will autostop in the morning, and at night.

anyone ever had that before?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts