Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my parents I2 for 4 hours yesterday, mostly hwy but also some stop and go traffic. I did not see any AutoStop at all where I strongly excepted it. It was 18 degrees C outside and raining lightly.
I had ECON ON, A/C OFF, cabin temp set to 22 deg. C and three bars ventilation. I've also tested with the unit set OFF, still no AutoStop.
The battery gauge showed 3/4 or full.
My parents told me that it didn't ever do AutoStop in the last half year.:-?:-?:-?

One question on this: is there a cabin humiditiy sensor that measures dampeness in the cabin and prevents AutoStop?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yes, it has a humidity sensor, and do I know it...
Was it also fogging up badly? When mine did I hardly had AutoStop too.
Turns out I had about a liter of standing water in the passenger footwell, under the mat.
It did AutoStop when I turned the vents completely OFF.

That ceased to work when my 12V got worse. Typically it would AutoStop once or twice for 8 seconds or so, then not at all.
New 12V battery, problem solved.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 12V battery is new.

Good hint on fogging. Yes, it was about to fog in recirculation venting but we had clear windows with fresh air as it was raining only lightly.

Maybe a sensor resistor trick will override the humidity sensor. Honda engineers are very nice to think about everything but this one is not needed. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The secret for guaranteed autostop is to hit the off button on the hvac before coming to a stop. Once stopped you can turn it back on and autostop will stay engaged til the IMA battery gets too low.

Now before a computer update for the non US models autostop was programmed for 10 or 12 seconds. An update makes it vary depending on other conditions.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I do switch the ventilation OFF all the time just before coming to a stop to switch it back on again once AutoStop lights up. You need to hit OFF before you slow down to less than 25 km/h or 15 mph.

I also use Auto mode quite often, when it starts to fog up. It does AutoStop quite well then too (assuming Eco mode is on).
The more you change the settings away from Auto mode, the less it will do AutoStop. Reduced blower speed means less AutoStop...

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Ive been driving with eco mode off and lots of ac use on vents. Every now and then the engine will auto stop with the ac on in this hot heat over here. Its short lived and restarts within 10 seconds or so.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just got the recall (14-064) update, to my 2010 and am now experiencing the partial loss of my auto stop as well.
I too was on a long 4.5 hr drive, mostly highway and used inside air with no a/c and in the stop and go the auto stop was not working.

Is this malfunctioning ? Or is this the effect of the update?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I cannot guess your conditions, but moisture (even if you don't notice it yourself), low 12V battery or a general deviance between the climate control settings and actual temperature in the car can cause it.

As the weather is getting colder AutoStop will function less often.
I won't get it in the morning now unless I switch the climate control completely OFF before coming to a stop (above 15 mph). Once stationary I restart the CC, it stays in AutoStop for a minute or so. It would stay longer if my replacement 12V battery was any better than it is.

The update did not alter the climate control/AutoStop behaviour in my car, but it did improve gas<>EV transition and general CVT behaviour.

·
Registered
831 Posts
It has to be some type of humidity or temperature/dew point setting that kills Auto/Stop. Happened to me this summer and early this fall during periods when humidity levels went way up. I started to look at Dewpoint temperatures and noticed that Dewpoints at or above 68 degrees, with air temperatures in the mid to upper 80s seemed to be the trigger. It didn't matter whether the A/C was on or off, the interior fan was running or nothing was running. Windows open or closed. Sunny or not. Short trip or long, the engine would continue to idle away while stopped at a traffic light.

Quite frustrating when trying to see how high the MPGs would go. But nothing I could do while stuck in city driving would allow Auto/Stop. In the last couple of weeks we have cooled and the humid air has moved away, so have not had any of these non Auto/Stop moments recently.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The software may be working as designed. Honda does have the ability to update the software. In fact there are at least 4 of them available, depending on the model year. (Some updates were incorporated during manufacture)

I find this so ironic because whenever I drive the Insight I do everything possible to keep the auto stop from happening just to keep the A/C compressor running. It seems like it's hotter than hell here in SoCal more and more of the time. Does the Prius have electric A/C?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
831 Posts
Prius can auto stop with (electric) A/C running for a bit. Bigger badder battery. It's one of the reasons that our Prius is the choice for long trips or going into the hotter climates.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts