Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car won't crank or even click the bendix today. I hear some very faint relay clicking a few seconds after I turn the key which sounds like it trying to use the 12v starter. I don't hear any loud clicks like a bendix clicking in. The headlights work and are bright. The fan blower works and blows normal speed. The lights didn't get any brighter when trying to jumpstart the car and symptoms didn't change. I tried holding the key in several times for at least 15 seconds and nothing happened. The car has been fully bypassed for months. It has never not tried to crank even when it's been -25 out it still cranked slowly and started the car. It's 5 above and even with a jumpstart it won't even click beyond very faint relay clicking.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starter was ruled out. I finally managed to get it to crank every so often. When it cranks it fires right up quick as can be. Sometimes if I have the key held to start for 10 seconds and it hasn't started if I quickly cycle it from start to off to start it will fire instantly without any of the normal delay of waiting for the IMA system before going to bypass.

An interesting note is that before my full IMA bypass was put in (the mudder system) the car would crank on the 12v without delay. I never had it try to use the 12v and IMA at the same time when the IMA worked so it doesn't have a shorted start relay.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I get it back up north I'm thinking about pulling all the grounds, shining them up and coating them with some terminal protector. I noticed they're starting to get slightly rusty again. I can't get it to replicate the problem now and not really much has changed. One weird thing I noticed was that the starter once seemed like it hesitated halfway through a crank, I'm not sure what that means but it seems like it lost a permissive for just long enough to hear it then got it back.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The other thing I noticed is that I don't think the fuel pump was priming last night when it wouldn't start. If it had been I wouldn't have been able to hear the extremely faint clicks I heard.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Sounds to me like Peter got it on the first try, and your plan to "shine up the grounds" is probably folly. It's usually not the ends that are the problem. They routinely corrode internally.

Just replace them.

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
i have the green light flashing next to the d how do you fix it

I would suggest making your own post regarding your car's no starting issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
tryingbe
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing