Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well - the Berlina Black Insight that I posted about a while ago sold quite quickly and now the Silver Insight in Western Australia has also been sold :D

The silver car had been for sale privately for a long time (more than a year) by someone who had emigrated from Australia. Eventually they sold the care to a dealer in WA who also had it for sale for some time (about 6 months) The dealer was asking $18,000 (Australian) for a 2001 model with about 56,000 kilometers - but I don't know what the sale price was.

The black car was a 2002 model with about 35,000 km on it and had been marked down to $17,000 - so no wonder it sold more quickly even if the buyer was not aware of its special status (one of only two in Australia).

I'm told that the silver car has been sold to a buyer in Melbourne - so maybe I might see it around one day. Maybe the owner will join IC 8)

I was tempted to buy the black car for its special status and even the silver car tugged at my heart strings a bit. But I really want a citrus Insight. Only 7 were sold in Australia - all 2001 models. I've only ever seen one for sale so I might be waiting a while.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Black Hybrid still available dude!

The Silver one in WA was involved in a major crash (rear-end), you can tell as the badges where missing. It DID NOT sell, and was sold to the wholesalers, where it still sits.

The Black one in QLD has been relisted at Torque Honda (originally listed at TLC motors), it DID NOT sell, no matter its exclusivity, its still for sale, and has been hopping dealership for a year (a dealer trick). Its listed for AUS$17,000, good luck on that price (It's way overpriced). If you want it, go for it, its advertised on carpoint and carsguide. http://images.carsales.com.au/dealer/ca ... 774143.jpg

A red Insight 2001 model sold in June 2007 in melbourne for AUS$8,000 (initially advertised for AUS$21,000), thats right, with just over 50,000klm on the clock with full books. I wonder in which garage it resides in now? ;)

Paying over AUS$10,000 for an Insight in Australia is far too much as the Jazz (Fit) Hybrid is around the corner (dealers have indicated a sticker price of AUS$21,000) and that the CiViC Hybrid can be purchased new for approx AUS$30,000, depending on your negotiation skills.

See you on the roads.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
omn1potent

-Wow- another enthusiastic Aussie insighter :D

Your comments on Insights for sale in Australia are interesting - but not quite the same story that I have gathered....

I did not pick up the lack of badges on the silver car in WA. How do you know it was involved in a major rear end crash? I spoke to the dealer in WA after it went off the market and he claimed to have sold it to a buyer in Melbourne. Do you know which wholesaler has it? You seem to know a quite a bit about these things - when is it likely to go back on the retail market again?

The black car just listed by Torque Honda does look a lot like it is the same one as was recently for sale at TLC motors (both in Queensland). The Torque Honda car has just 800km more on the "clock" and there are only two in Australia, but.... they are advertised with different VIN's (last 6 digits 200037 and 200003) and have different (but both Queensland) number plates. Not definitive but makes you wonder. Why they would have bothered to change the number plates if the car was not wholesaled interstate?

I'm still vaguely interested (although I'm still unsure about black) so I spoke to the TLC dealer yesterday and he claimed to have sold his car to a private purchaser . Do you know for sure that they are the same car?

The red Insight in Melbourne is even more interesting. I saw it advertised at the higher price on Carsales or Drive and called the owner about it. After some time (and a small price drop I think) it disappeared off the web only to pop up a short time later on Carsguide for only $8,000. I called the telephone number listed several times but it was false. No other contact was listed and the number never changed for the relatively short time that it was listed. I then called the number of the original seller and he claimed to have sold it to a private buyer in Sydney and knew nothing about the listing on Carsguide!! I assumed it was one of those car identity theft internet scams I have read about.:shock:

I'm confused..... Your emoticon suggests to me that you bought the red car for $8,000. Is that right? If so, you got a great bargain IMHO.

Happy Insighting 8)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes I have purchased the red insight for $8k.

Yes I have purchased the red insight for $8k.

I am part of an authusists club for hybrids in australia, and we have interests in these vehicles.

I own 2 insights (both red, 01 and 02), my brother has a silver one (01) as well; that makes three. We are waiting for the new Prius III (09 release), as it will come in PHEV and solar on the roof (top-of-the-range). I am disapointed with Honda as the CiViC hybrid comes with rear drums brakes.

The black cars are identicle, even though the VIN number is advertised differently, its the same car with the same VIN. Plates are changed to give the illusion that differents cars are being sold through different dealers. Again, dont trust the dealers.

Dont touch the silver unit from WA, it had a major rear-end. Its bouncing in wholesaler land at the moment, not sure which one, but it was spotter at fowles and pickles.

cheers.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
omn1potent

Do you know the correct VIN number for the black Insight in Queensland?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have asked Honda Australia for the VINs of the two black Australian delivered Insights. They are:

JHMZE13502T200002 and JHMZE13502T200003. That is, the same except for the last digit and they are sequential numbers. Both 2002 models. The 03 number is the advertised VIN for the car currently for sale. I spoke to the salesman who checked the number for me so this seems to be correct.

The black Insight earlier advertised was given a VIN with the last two numbers as 37 (hoping my notes made at the time were right). This is clearly wrong (unless the car was a 2nd hand Japanese import?!!). Nothing is certain, but it seems most likely that the 37 number was an error and that these are indeed the same car.

If all the above is correct then my initial impression was right as was omn1potent 's more definite response. It still doesn't answer all the questions (who really is the current owner? why did they bother to change the number plate?) but it does confirm that Insights seem impossible to sell in the $16,000 to $18,000 range that the dealers are asking.

So what is the real market value for Insights in Australia now? - no more than $10,000 as omn1potent says? And what of the Silver car from Perth that omn1potent says is still bouncing around in wholesaler land - when will it surface? - will it ever surface?

One thing seems for sure is that our favourite little fuel miser remains mostly unloved and unknown in this part of the world :roll:

If I find out anything more I'll post the next installment in this intruiging story 8)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This may not be quite the right thread to post this but .............

I have just received a response from Honda Australia to my query about the number of Insights sold in Australia broken down by year.

Well it turns out that the two (only) black Insights (not offered in this colour in 2001) are the only 2002 model Insights sold in Australia. Also there were no 2003 or 2004 cars.

This means that out of the total of 45 Insights sold in Australia, 43 were 2001 models (20 silver, 16 red and 7 green).

So my guess is that the 43 2001 models were Honda's initial order to see how it all went. This means only two orders were subsequently made for new Insights (both black). Probably the worst new car take up in history. Such a sad response to such an amazing car. :(

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even more..... I just read through the posts above.

I would be really intereseted in Omn1potent's comments on the following....

Omn1potent says he/she has a 2002 model red Insight but according to Honda Australia's email to me there were no 2002 red Insights sold in Australia. Why do you believe yours is 2002?

Also, the silver Insight that was for sale in WA has not turned up again - do you know if it is still in wholesale dealer land and if so where?

On a slightly different angle - the black Insight has not turned up again yet. Maybe it really has sold.... hello black Insight owner - where are you :?: :?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi
It is good to have other IC members from Australia

I just started posting to this forum
I drive 2001 silver insight in melbourne, I know there are another 2 insights around Mount Waverley where i work. 1 yellow one and another silver one driven by young girl. Even I do not see them everyday but I saw them quite few times that I believe they are the same car (haven;t seen them this month)

so you said only 45 insights in australia? does this include the one that is on science museum in spotwood? My mate told me that they saw it there and took the picture. Ghillie, If you really interested the yellow one maybe you can make query.

wow if it is only 2 black insights that would be really exclusive.
I saw the ads at carsales about the black insight just a month ago and no more now.
Couple years back when I was looking for an insight, I saw black one in WA offered for aound 27K that is too much for my budget but it advertised as 2003 model at carsales. I ended up found mine one from dodgy peugeot dealer in 2005 and paid almost 15k with 59000km on the clock (i still though that i got ripped off). If another insight on sell for 8k I would buy another one for backup parts :)

So far I am happy with fuel consumption (mine is 4.1L) and only use the car practically to go to work.

·
Registered
348 Posts
ghillie said:
.... But I really want a citrus Insight. Only 7 were sold in Australia - all 2001 models. I've only ever seen one for sale so I might be waiting a while.....
In 2003 the dealer up in Darwin had a citrus Insight on it's lot. I took a photo of it because of it's nifty rego: "insight".

I mentioned somewhere else on this forum that in 2001 the dealer in Canberra had a black one and the large "Lamborghinialfaromeohonda"-dealer in Sydney had a red one in it's showroom then.
None of them had brochures in 2001.
It was in Darwin in 2003 when I finally got an Australian brochure.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JAC

Welcome to the forum.

I am in Ivanhoe and very, very rarely see another Insight. I don't know if any live around here.

According to Honda Australia there was indeed only 45 Insights sold here. 43 are 2001 models and 2 (both the black ones) are 2002 models. It looks like the black car recently for sale in Brisbane has been sold. Good wishes to the new owner.
:D

I don't think you got ripped off at less than $15k for your Insight in 2005. I paid $22k for mine from a Honda dealer in February 2005 - although it had only 6500 km on it at the time. I believe the black car referred to above sold for about $16k which seems to me (having regard to year and distance travelled) much on a par with what you paid.

I would not rely on Omn1potent's claim to have bought an Insight for $8,000. I'm not saying he didn't (although the advertisement for an Insight for sale in Melbourne for $8,000 seems from my enquiries to not have been genuine - see my post above on 1 August 2007) but if he did, I do not think it is the usual price that Insights change hands for in Australia.

The reality is that there are so few Insights in Australia (and so far still very little demand for the ones that are here) that every sale is virtually a "one off" deal. There is only one Insight I know of that is currently for sale in Australia which is on the Carsguide website. The owner wants $18k for a 120,000km car with the IMA battery replaced. I think it is too much - but if someone really wants to buy and Insight in Australia now there is no other choice than this car.

Thanks for the heads up on the Citrus Insight at Scienceworks. The exhibition it is part of came from NZ. I don't know if the car came from NZ with it (Insights were not sold new in NZ). I'll try and find out.

Happy Insighting :D

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"So far I am happy with fuel consumption (mine is 4.1L) and only use the car practically to go to work."

JAC

BTW - I average 3.3l/100km. Check IC for some fuel miser tips if you want to improve your average. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting to see this thread, I spoke to the Honda dealer the day after the black car was sent for tender, about two weeks ago- so it may turn up again.

Just for your info I am getting about 2.1 -2.9 in my red 2001 Insight during my regular 100k highway run (my partner cannot manage better than 4's) driving style is the key.

My 2007 Civic gets 3.7 - 3.2 at best for the same trip which is amazing given the size of the car. I just wish it was a manual not a slow CVT.

The only reason for the Civic was a second Insights is hard to get.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aussieinsight

G'dday.

That's great FE that you're getting. Better than mine by a considerable margin. Should give JAC something to aim for :D

Regarding the black car - what does "sent for tender" mean? Does this mean that it wasn't sold as I was told by the dealer? Why would they bother... what's in it for them to not tell me that the car hasn't been sold to a private buyer - or are they just compulsive liars?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mates, I need to learn how to drive to achieve best fuel economy from you
(I wish I found this forum earlier)

The best fuel cons I have is 3.3lt on freeway (around 100km trip)

I am in Lyndhurst, I think I am too much stuck at traffic jam every morning at monash freeway that makes the FE worse.
If traffic clear still have around 3.5lt only never better. I use shell v-power 98 for my petrol, I wonder if you guys using the same one.

22k and only 6500km, it's not bad as you seems like buying a new car!!
When I bought the insight, it was the cheapest one I found in the market at that time, I would say the car condition still good but not excellent.
In redbook insight 2001 still worth 13k to 18k depending on condition or milieage. I asked a dealer to value my insight and they give 9.9K about 3 months ago or could be a little bit more if I am trading in with new car. so if I could get decent condition insight for 8K or less so I would say thay would be very worthed and I don't mind another one as I mentioned

aussieinsite, I believe your civic is the hybrid one. I am looking forward to test drive one day. I wasn't really impressed with the first gen civic hybrid but the current one seems under my consideration for my other car replacement (of course I would keep the insight)

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I first purchased the insight the last owner was achieving 4.6 average! However he said a key fact forget everything you know about driving and let the car teach you how to drive again. I find that the law of averages seems to suit me and am obsessed about getting lower and lower fuel consumption.

The first thing I did was over inflate the tyres (they were all over the place). The second was after I discovered this site was to devour every fuel saving tip I could muster. (Like not filling the tank) and I also polish it to a glimmer (less friction ;) and no passenger and no extra weight in the car. (I also had all the wheels aligned and improved my average significantly)

I constantly watch the iFCG it is like the heart beat. What surprises me is that in an ‘old fashioned’ car you constantly press down on the accelerator. In the modern Insight you constantly pull off the accelerator. You can actually cruse/accelerate without adding energy. I also try and keep the charge at least ½ full and I try and balance the regen/discharge gauge to be neutral at all times. I also glide, surf and slip stream whenever possible.

I am not one to keep speed down as I prefer to watch the l/100Km gauge to dictate the speed. If the gauge is above my target 2’s I add less energy until I reach my target. I have noticed that in some cases you can travel at a higher speed and get better efficiency.

The Civic is a hybrid and the new IMA drive train is spectacular much more powerful that the Toyota and a much nicer drive as well. I use the cruse control in the HCH to increment speed up and down (+/- .8k) and balance the car as I do in the insight. This is because the sluggish CVT over revs and I prefer to let the computers drive via my input. It is fun but not as much as a manual Insight. The all electric mode is also fun.

As I really do not need a huge 5 seater I am considering re investing in a 2nd Insight should one appear. or picking up a new CR-z should Honda build it.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Those a good points for saving fuel. :D I also believe there are times when pocking along can actually reduce your MPGs. This may have to do with the parasitic load of the hybrid and electrical system or pumping losses at certain throttle positions or it may be just wishfull thinking. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the tips, I would go away for few weeks and would try to this when I come back. I can't wait to see better FE on my insight
CR-Z looks more like mazda rx-8 (front) and half insight and old crx (rear) design. but it looks cool. I don't know if cr-z would be hybrid power or just normal 4 cyl motor, hope honda would build this to return the crx.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
It would be hybrid but not likely aluminum.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Time to revive this thread.....

There has been a silver Insight for sale in Queensland (up north) for some weeks but the ad for it disappeared a couple of days ago - so I assume it has been sold. It was quite a high mileage (kilometreage?) car with 120,000 km on it according to the ad. However, the owner said that the battery pack had recently been changed.

The car had a price of $15k (A$) on it - but I don't know how much it actually sold for.

That's it for the moment as far as I know. No Insights currently for sale in Australia. It may just be my imagination but there seems to have been a gradual drop in the number being sold as oil prices have gone up - but maybe it's just a normal ebb and flow of cars on the market. Since there was only 45 Insights sold new in Australia anyway a steady flow of cars onto the used market may be unlikely.

On the other hand I have counted 18 Honda (Acura) NSX's for sale - I think about 150 were sold in Australia from 1991 to 2005 (about). (On reflection I'm not sure that this means anything at all :roll: - other than that NSX's are even harder than Insights to sell in Australia at the prices most people are asking)

What is interesting is that previous posts in this thread have said that Insights which appeared to have been sold have only been withdrawn and put back into the wholesale market. I still don't know for sure that this is wrong but none of those cars have turned up again yet on the various web-based car sale sites, so it seems to me increasingly unlikely that such claims are correct.

Chronicling the market for used Insights in Australia is making me feel increasingly like a train spotting anorak - time to go back to work. :D

1 - 20 of 111 Posts