Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 insight 96,000 miles and a few days ago I noticed that my low beam lights where not working. The high beam however are still operable. Took it to the dealer and they said a connector for the low beam switch had shorted out. I was told this connector apparently is integrated into the wiring harness and the harness would have to be repalced to correct the problem. $900 estimate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had both low beams go out recently. This happened at about 66,000 miles, with rain, and with condensation inside the car. Removing the left headlight fuse caused the left high beam to go out also. Richfield-Bloomington Honda, understandably, needed to order the following part:
FP-NUMBER: 35255-S3Y-G02
DESCRIPTION: Switch *** 35250
LIST PRICE: 74.04
The total price was $149.04. This price was before the 10% discount for having purchased the vehicle 35 days earlier.
I assume that the above listed part is for a switch. The problem that I had seemed more consistent with an interruption of electrical current than with a short. A shorted out wire or connector might cause smoke or high current drain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My low beams went out too at about 50K miles, under extended warranty, I think. The problem was the switch -- NOT the wiring harness -- and the dealer replaced it. I have a new and slightly different light stalk on the left side of the steering column now and everything works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
no low beams

We just had the same problem everybody else is describing. At 54k miles, the low beams went out. My mechanic had us get a new switch from the dealer, which he installed. I just picked up the car and he showed me how the old connector had burned up. He said it was overloaded with both headlights on one wire and we're lucky it didn't catch fire. He even checked with Honda for recalls. He said the new switch will hold for now, but to keep a nose out for burning. He told me a new wiring harness is the "whole hog" solution, but what we really need is a new connector.
I hope Honda will consider a recall, I don't know anything about cars but this sounds like a fire hazard.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well you can add me to the list. Both Low beams went out at the same time. I have not tried to find the problem yet. I am away from home and don't have my parts book. Guess I will look around tomorrow to see if I can smell any burned connectors. Fortunately the high beams still work. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
652 Posts
Pasted from the Yahoo group for those that encounter this problem. Have fun, Rick

Make : HONDA Model : INSIGHT Year : 2000
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V086000 Recall Date : FEB 24, 2004
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 440000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE LOW-BEAM TERMINAL ON THE HEAD LIGHT
WIRE HARNESS CAN OVERHEAT AND COULD CAUSE THE LOW BEAMS TO FAIL
WITHOUT WARNING.
Consequence:
AN UNEXPECTED LOSS OF LOW BEAMS COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE HEAD LIGHT SWITCH AND COUPLER FOR SIGNS OF
HEAT DAMAGE. IF HEAT DAMAGE IS PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE
SWITCH AND COUPLER. IF NO HEAT DAMAGE IS PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL
REPLACE THE HEAD LIGHT SWITCH AND ONE MATING PIN IN THE COUPLER. OWNER
NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MARCH 2004. OWNERS SHOULD
CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY
ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT
(1-888-327-4236).

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Honda dealers still not informed

I keep pestering my dealership (where I get service done) about this, and they as of last week claim to have not yet been notified by Honda.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well six people out of our membership seams like it should be an issue. I did smell a burning smell earlier in the day but it was short lived and I thought it was something outside of the car. (The lights were not on). Hate to admit my stupidity but my first clue that the lights weren't working was when I noticed a distinct shadow of the car in front of me from headlights that were behind me. Turned the lights on and off a couple of times and saw no effect so I knew I had a problem. (I mistakenly left them in the off position (killing my tail lights) until I could exit and look see if it was a fuse. I ended up driving the last hour or so with the high beams. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yes, it's an active recall and if anyone here has paid to have it fixed I would suggest writing letters to try and get reimbursed. If you go to the NHTSA web site and search your vehicle it will be in the recall (if it's a 00-02 model). But, if you go to Honda's owner's link on their web site and put in the VIN they will show no recalls (yet). My guess, they have 440,000 new switches to make, it could be a while until they are enough available to get them out to dealerships and get the fix's started. My next guess, when Honda's owner's link shows a recall you have a letter in the mail.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Just a quick update. Called the dealer this morning and inquired about the recall for the Insight. They said they could do the work and had the parts in. I amde an appointment for 1 pm and then set out returning my Insight to stock. After 4 hours of removal I had everything but the stereo mods out (figured these were common enough not to be a problem). Showed up at the dealer. They checked the VIN and told me I had 3 other recalls (parking brake, DC-DC converter, and ECM). I told them I just wanted the low beams fixed and would get the others done later. I was in the waiting room for about an hour when they came and told me they did not have the parts. (The switches they received for the recall are for the Civic only). Honda says the parts for the Insight will be sent as needed from Japan. Anyway now I have a stock insight until they get the parts in and do the work (scheduled for 16 April). Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ughhh. If it's comming over from Japan then it can take anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks. When they "rushed" a new fuse box over to fix the problems I was having it took 3 weeks. They had the car sitting there for a week before I called my buddy who is the parts manager and he had to call Honda to figure out it was on a boat. In other words don't hold your breath on the part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts