Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 insight with 110k miles has been flawless the last few years but today I woke up with no regen brakes or assit and a engine light and a IMA light on. The IMA shows almost a full charge. The car starts and runs fine aside from less acceleration due to no assist. Honda dealer says code P1449 means IMA battery needs replacing, IMA motor control module and IMA motor control module all need replacing. Estimate $5,436.91 I don't understand how this could all just happen at once. I bought the car a few years back with 60k miles and a recently updated factory battery pack. Fuel mileage is averaging 49 which is only down a bit from before. Anybody with suggestions?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Before the IMA lights did you ever have frequent negative recalibrations? How long would it allow full assist?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No issues at all till today. Assist would allows work all the way up the 101 climb out of ventura and full recharge with in 10 miles. I've seen no degrading of assist performance, just sudden lack of it today.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Never heard of any IMA lights and codes coming on so suddenly, without prior signs of weakness. But maybe it's possible for them to be legit, for your battery to punk-out quickly like that...

The in-dash state of charge gauge doesn't tell you much about how full or good your battery is - so whether or not it always shows near full or what not makes no difference...

Don't bother with the dealer unless your system is under warranty. If you do need a battery, look up Bumblebee Batteries or one of the other 3 or so vendors that sell batteries around here. Bumblebee sells an upgraded, better performing, 8000mAh pack, the "MaxIMA," for something like $2100. I think most people around here would say you don't need new modules, or that you should keep the originals...

P1449 has 'blink' subcodes, -72, -73, -74, and -78, which mean different things. Check out the sticky at the top of one of these forums on how to read the blink codes. The P1449 codes are:

1449-72: Battery Module Overheating
"The high voltage battery for the IMA (integrated motor assist) system temperature can increase from exposure to high ambient temperature, overcharging, excessive battery drain, or a battery short. If the battery temperature increases beyond a set value, it is difficult to use the battery continuously due to the thermal deformation of the electrical insulating material or the deterioration of the pole plates. If the battery temperature is out of a set value for at least a specified time period when driving, a malfunction in the battery is detected and a DTC is stored."

1449-73: Battery Cell Overheating
"The 120 cells are connected in series in the high voltage battery for the IMA (integrated motor assist) system, and every cell has a PTC element. Serially connected cells enable the BCM (battery condition monitor) module to detect a change in resistance (PTC+side to ground, the BCM module detected voltage) when one or more monitoring cells’ temperature is beyond a set value. Consequently, overheating is detected even, if only one of cells is malfunctioning. If the BCM module detected voltage is a set value or more for at least a specified time period, a malfunction in the battery is detected and a DTC is stored."

1449-74: Battery Module Individual Voltage Input Deviation
"The voltage difference between channels (12 cells/channel) is 0.61 V at the maximum within the allowable capacity range (15%). However, if one cell in a channel is abnormal, the voltage difference is 1.2 V. Also, the voltage detection tolerance for the BCM (battery condition monitor) module is specified as ±0.12 V at 32 - 140° F (0 - 60°C). Therefore, if the difference between channels is 1.2 V or more, at least one cell is considered abnormal. If there is an offset problem or a gain problem in the voltage detection system, and the voltage detection error is out of the tolerance specified, a malfunction is detected and a DTC is stored."

1449-78: Battery Module Deterioration
"The high-voltage battery in the IMA (integrated motor assist) system is designed to operate within the upper and lower limits of the SOC (state of charge) voltage and the battery capacity limits. When the battery deteriorates, the voltage is subject to an increase or a decrease, so the limits of the battery capacity is narrowed. Therefore, if the upper and lower limits of the SOC are detected when driving, the BCM (battery condition monitor) calculates the sum of the current and calculates the battery capacity. If the power is less than a set value, a malfunction is detected and a DTC is stored....The battery capacity is 10% of 6.5 A or less."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed?

After getting lots of advice, I did Matt's suggestion first.

I disconnected and cleaned both 12 volt terminals, started the car and let it idle. For the first time since the issue it showed charge. *About *3 minutes I had one bar from zero (it had been stuck on full bars for battery level when not working). I let the car idle for about 15 minutes and when I next looked it was full. Took it for a 12 mile drive and everything works again, the assit and regen are back! I guess I need to drive it longer to see if the problem repeats? Certainly beats the 6 grand the Honda shop wanted!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,656 Posts
s44captain:

Please post your location in your profile.

Also check your ground wires and if at all possible, charge the 12V battery fully.

HTH
Willie

·
7,183 Posts
You need a new battery. There is nothing wrong with your IMA computers, it's just standard practice for Honda to replace them, which of course inflates the bill.

Give us a call, would be happy to discuss what is happening here and your options. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts