Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BLUF/TLDR. EPS light on, Speedo doesn't work, IMA only works for few minutes after each startup.
The car acted fine when I first got it, with the exception of a slight Power Steering "notchyness" or "stickiness" at certain time during turning the wheel.
Then over a week's time, the EPS light came on intermittently, and the Speedo would read "0 mph" while driving at highway speeds. After about a week, the speedo stayed on zero, and the EPS light stayed on.
Along with this, the IMA (charge/assist) only works for about 5-10 minutes after first starting up. Then it's no more assist. SOC is maintained at 29%. (I can charge by revving at 3000rpm).
The codes: P0141, and P0500.

So far I removed, cleaned and reattached the EPS Rack Ground. That didn't do it. I replaced the Speed Sensor, which also didn't do anything, although the P0500 is not showing at the moment.
This has been going on for months, and I actually enjoy driving the car without EPS. There are no other issues.
It may be useful to mention that there has been NO check engine, or IMA lights ever. The codes I pick up with my OBD2c&c.

I could use advice on what to try next.
Thanks in advance!

·
Linsight Designer
1,877 Posts
Probe the VSS line (C04 on the MCM is one place you can probe). You should get about 4000 pulses per mile. If you lift one of your front wheels off the ground, you can 'drive' without moving. Take a picture of the pulses and post up. If you don't have an oscilloscope, use the "frequency" setting on a handheld multimeter; it should read around 10 Hz if you're driving 10 mph, 20 Hz @ 20 mph, etc.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I wonder if there's a problem in the wiring harness between the speed sensor and the ecm.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I'm watching this thread because I sold Pete the car. It had been sitting outside for more than a year. Could this be caused by a mouse chewing on wiring? I never saw evidence of a mouse though.

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about mouse sabotage, but it was fine for a while, and acted fine while I drove it up to the Williamsburg, VA meetup in January. That was a 120 mile round trip and no issues except for the occasional , and intermittent, "stickiness" of the steering. I had John Garcia test drive it, and it wasn't doing it for him. (It was barely discernible, and very intermittent.)
Rick, I love the car, it runs well. I drive it daily, using the GPS speedo. It was a great experience buying this car from you. You have done an amazing job with the car, this issue is in no way shape or form blamed on you.
I'll check into all the suggestions, thanks all, and if someone has more, I'll gladly take it.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Pete,what eps stand for,why don't you try swapping out your dash,wish I knew more about this electric sterring,but am suspicious that it mite be related,maybe swap out the mcm,too,I'd try anything to help eliminate it down .

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
Probe the VSS line (C04 on the MCM is one place you can probe). You should get about 4000 pulses per mile. If you lift one of your front wheels off the ground, you can 'drive' without moving. Take a picture of the pulses and post up. If you don't have an oscilloscope, use the "frequency" setting on a handheld multimeter; it should read around 10 Hz if you're driving 10 mph, 20 Hz @ 20 mph, etc.
Good advice...

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
When you are over tomorrow, we can certainly take a scope picture of the VSS signal at the MCM, but I'm a bit confused. Did these two codes appear at the same time? If so, then there is likely some cause other than the P0500 advance diagnostic for that code alone(i.e. open or shorted VCC to ECM).

I have the "Electrical Troubleshooting Guide" which has lots of schematics so shouldn't be too difficult to trace various circuits.

Anyway, we try to chase it down over a couple of cool ones;)

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
Pete, if you have a spare ECM from your parts car, you might bring that alone. The ECM is the only "obvious" shared component between the two codes. There could be subtle shared wiring of course:confused:

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jim and Mudder: thank you so much for helping me yesterday. Although I'm not there yet, we were able to sort out a few things.
The VSS line reads 5v at pin C04 of MCM with NO jumper. When jumped to pin C26 with a 4.7k ohm resistor, Voltage jumps slightly to 5.1 Volts.
We were Unable to observe any pulses.
There is still a connector to check near the ECU on the Passanger floor board, and one more behind the center panel behind the seats, just in front of the HV battery.

·
Linsight Designer
1,877 Posts
Glad I could help out, even if we didn't get to the bottom yet. Based on the video you sent me, I'm not 100% convinced y'all are probing accurately enough to see if the signal is behaving correctly. See my texts from yesterday and probe again with a known-good VSS sensor.

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
Possibly one problem with our testing is that we used chassis ground for the o-scope and never used logic ground. It was a very hot and humid day here in Richmond and we just tired out after about 8 hours of tinkering.

It was only after Pete left that I realized that there was a way to use three hands to use the logic ground in MCM plug B9 to ground the scope probe. This might also lower the amount of low level noise on the scope.

Anyway, thanks. Not sure whether Pete is up to another try in a couple of weeks or if he is going to bring it to Indy.

I'm a bit suspicious of his eBay VSS replacement module, but that is unverified by measurement:-?

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Follow up: Marty diagnosed a faulty power wire from VSS to either ECU or Fuse Box.
I three inch wire was soldered from one terminal to the VSS wire on the brown test plug by the driver side of the head. I'll take and post a photo later.
Problem solved. Thanks Marty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts